Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Valley Gardens works

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
When you say 'Brighton & Hove', I assume you mean 'Brighton & Hove Buses' rather than 'Brighton & Hove City Council'...?

Yes, the fare is paid on the bus but I can't imagine that it is not subsidised by the local council (as senior citizens fares?).

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I think there's another point about transport options. Status, or perceived status.

In our national psyche, if you get a bus, you're a bus w****** ... (That's why the episode was funny... there's an element of truth that, that is how we see things). If you cycle, you're doing it because you can't afford a car and are a failure. All of course, untrue, but somewhere in our brains we form these prejudices any whether we know it or not, probably all of us have it in there to a degree.

There are a significant number of people in the UK, I reckon 50%+, who currently would never cycle, or take public transport, not because it's impractical or expensive, (though that's what they may claim as the reason), but because they consider themselves above it

This mindset probably came about when having a car was a luxury and only the very rich could afford them. Slowly they became more affordable so only the rich could afford them and they were a status symbol. Then cheaper and cheaper so that the vast majority can now afford them.

However the cultural mindset of owning a car as a status symbol still exists. This may be a mindset shared by other nations, but I think more so by the British. The whole keeping up with the Joneses attitude and itching to have a nicer car than your neighbours and looking down on those who only have a second hand car, or god forbid don't own a car, the filthy animals.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Well there we have it folks, the very epitome of private motorist selfishness. Just need to confirm that poster has kids in the car that he's inflicting his smoke and shit music - and it's ALWAYS shit music - on and we have a winner at Selfish Private Motorist Bingo :thumbsup:

Did you just assume my gender?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This mindset probably came about when having a car was a luxury and only the very rich could afford them. Slowly they became more affordable so only the rich could afford them and they were a status symbol. Then cheaper and cheaper so that the vast majority can now afford them.

However the cultural mindset of owning a car as a status symbol still exists. This may be a mindset shared by other nations, but I think more so by the British. The whole keeping up with the Joneses attitude and itching to have a nicer car than your neighbours and looking down on those who only have a second hand car, or god forbid don't own a car, the filthy animals.

This.

Finance arrangements make having a premium German or British car very-dooable over the last 20 years. Modest homes with a nearly new BMW, Audi and (BMW's) Mini outside. Unthinkable not so long ago. Jones's and/or You Only Live Once.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why we should be paying more for parking

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Had a quick visit today. Work is being concentrated on the paving at the junction of Richmond Parade and the main road.

Attachments

• P1100505.JPG
    P1100505.JPG
    972.6 KB · Views: 195
  • P1100506.JPG
    P1100506.JPG
    1,008.4 KB · Views: 193
  • P1100507.JPG
    P1100507.JPG
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 189
  • P1100508.JPG
    P1100508.JPG
    990.5 KB · Views: 194
  • P1100509.JPG
    P1100509.JPG
    989.6 KB · Views: 193

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
As the thread starter it's nice to see everyone following up on this. I'm only going in to the town a couple of days a week at the moment and the hold ups aren't that bad as there is little traffic on the roads. Christmas could be fun and games with Churchill Square getting filled up but then again, fewer people come in to town now because of the parking costs. Perhaps that's just what the council want.
I stand by my point that a single lane of traffic, that's both A23 & A270 cars funneled into one lane, just wont work.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
The proposals for the Aquarium roundabout and the area just north of there doesn't seem to help the 700 bus route to turn easily for its return journey and also creates problems for coaches entering and leaving Pool Valley.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
'The scheme – phrase three of the Valley Gardens project – is expected to give more space to pedestrians and help the flow of public transport through the busy area.'

:clap2:

"Phrase three." Don't you just love the Arsgas!?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The proposals for the Aquarium roundabout and the area just north of there doesn't seem to help the 700 bus route to turn easily for its return journey and also creates problems for coaches entering and leaving Pool Valley.

Looking at the picture, I don't see it being a problem.

The bus comes down the southbound side of Old Steine, and turns right past into Old Steine itself.

Where would the problems lie?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
More roads = Less congestion :lol:

[tweet]1065534148612431874[/tweet]

Albion Prem

Nov 23, 2018
Lindfield
Horrendous? Newcastle's cost £800m (in current prices). Assuming a 30-year return on investment and 3% interest, a back of the envelope calculation suggests it will cost each person in B&H an addition £2,500 a year in council tax (assuming no money from the government, which is pretty likely to be the case). In addition, a B&H metro would certainly cost more than that because the T&W system mainly used existing railway track - which we haven't got - and Newcastle is pretty flat - which we're not.

If you think that the average Brightonian will be happy to cough up £250 to £300 extra in council tax every month, you're totally bonkers.

Didnt they pay for the Isore?

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Looking at the picture, I don't see it being a problem.

The bus comes down the southbound side of Old Steine, and turns right past into Old Steine itself.

Where would the problems lie?

If that is so, OK. My impression is that the present northbound area would be pedestrianised from outside the Royal Albion Hotel which is why I thought was the taxi drivers complaint about losing the taxi rank?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here