Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Valley Gardens works

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What about people needing to get in and out of there for work etc?
Bus, train, bike, walk.

Nobody NEEDS to get in or out of that square mile by car, plenty choose to go through, and that's the problem.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Bus, train, bike, walk.

Nobody NEEDS to get in or out of that square mile by car, plenty choose to go through, and that's the problem.

What about if that is where a car park is based? What about if something needs to be moved that is too heavy to realistically use any of the above?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What about if that is where a car park is based? What about if something needs to be moved that is too heavy to realistically use any of the above?

I get the impression whatever I reply will lead to yet more 'what about', so I'll leave it after saying:-
Provide parking with good quality public transport links away from the most densely pedestrianized area of Brighton.
Have vehicle access at specific times.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
I get the impression whatever I reply will lead to yet more 'what about', so I'll leave it after saying:-
Provide parking with good quality public transport links away from the most densely pedestrianized area of Brighton.
Have vehicle access at specific times.

Not at all, I drive there to get to a car park which I use throughout the working day as do others. Not trying to be awkward it just wouldnt work

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Not at all, I drive there to get to a car park which I use throughout the working day as do others. Not trying to be awkward it just wouldnt work
Just because it's what you've done, doesn't mean that's how things have to stay.

Obviously my initial response was somewhat glib but then again I have repeatedly said nothing will work in isolation, (just not that time).

It just seems so redundant to step out of the train station to a wall of cars, engines, fumes, and pedestrian crossings beeping.

Turn left into the Laines and still be dodging cars yet, unable to move in the pedestrian sections.
Much the same down at the seafront and around the clock tower.

Again this kind of upheaval doesn't just happen over night, and certainly not without full consideration of all road users.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Had a nose round this afternoon. Whole of St.Peter's Church back and front now effectively "gone". Pallets of paving bricks and other materials on the south section. A small strip of new kerbing has been put in place in the road outside the Richmond pub.
If you are driving north towards St.Peter's Church and need to turn right up Richmond Parade, you can't as that little bit of road is blocked off.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I find this quite hypnotic.

Again as part of our most recent transportation thread, I'm going to leave this here:-

[tweet]1051568823739052032[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1051535425788043264[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
They've ruined Israels Plads

[tweet]1053416734684676097[/tweet]

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I find this quite hypnotic.

Again as part of our most recent transportation thread, I'm going to leave this here:-

[tweet]1051568823739052032[/tweet]

This reminds me of my childhood when I used to line up all my matchbox and dinky vehicles in a long line, and move the front one about six inches and then move all those behind forward and then repeat and repeat and repeat... great fun

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
A photographic update from today for those interested.

Attachments

• P1100495.JPG
    P1100495.JPG
    984.4 KB · Views: 217
  • P1100497.JPG
    P1100497.JPG
    994.1 KB · Views: 218
  • P1100498.JPG
    P1100498.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 214
  • P1100502.JPG
    P1100502.JPG
    937.1 KB · Views: 212
  • P1100499.JPG
    P1100499.JPG
    1,002.6 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Attachments

• P1100491.JPG
    P1100491.JPG
    1,013.9 KB · Views: 209
  • P1100492.JPG
    P1100492.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 207
  • P1100493.JPG
    P1100493.JPG
    977.6 KB · Views: 207
  • P1100501.JPG
    P1100501.JPG
    982 KB · Views: 208
  • P1100494.JPG
    P1100494.JPG
    976.6 KB · Views: 199
Last edited:

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
It's always annoyed me the people who cut across the grass south of St Peter's and have worn a dirt path through it.

Bit of a drastic remedy though!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
DTrJ0lrX4AY9-6r.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
https://road.cc/content/news/250502-threefold-rise-cycling-cheltenham-town-centre-after-car-ban

A trial ban on cars, vans and lorries in several streets in the centre of Cheltenham resulted in a three-fold increase in the number of cyclist recorded passing one location in the Gloucestershire town, according to the local council.

Early results show a 206 per cent increase in the number of cyclists passing through the Boots Corner fountain area.

There was also an 84 per cent rise in pedestrian footfall and an 85 per cent reduction in the number of motor vehicles, says Cheltenham Borough Council.

The increases in numbers of people on foot or bike was said to be consistent across all days and all times sampled, and were calculated based on data collected before the trial began.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
https://road.cc/content/news/250502-threefold-rise-cycling-cheltenham-town-centre-after-car-ban

A trial ban on cars, vans and lorries in several streets in the centre of Cheltenham resulted in a three-fold increase in the number of cyclist recorded passing one location in the Gloucestershire town, according to the local council.

Early results show a 206 per cent increase in the number of cyclists passing through the Boots Corner fountain area.

There was also an 84 per cent rise in pedestrian footfall and an 85 per cent reduction in the number of motor vehicles, says Cheltenham Borough Council.

The increases in numbers of people on foot or bike was said to be consistent across all days and all times sampled, and were calculated based on data collected before the trial began.

How does Brighton's population, road network etc compare to Cheltenham?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How does Brighton's population, road network etc compare to Cheltenham?

Does it matter?

I'm sure plenty of posters on NearlyWalesStandChat said:-

- It won't work here.
- I won't be able to go to work.
- Cheltenham is a tourist city.
- We need more roads not less.
- The businesses won't survive.

and all the other selfish bullshit that I'm challenging on this thread.

There isn't an obvious push back, on google, against this trial https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/...am-transport-plan/phase-4-boots-corner-trial/
but I've only done a couple of searches.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Does it matter?

I'm sure plenty of posters on NearlyWalesStandChat said:-

- It won't work here.
- I won't be able to go to work.
- Cheltenham is a tourist city.
- We need more roads not less.
- The businesses won't survive.

and all the other selfish bullshit that I'm challenging on this thread.

There isn't an obvious push back, on google, against this trial https://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/...am-transport-plan/phase-4-boots-corner-trial/
but I've only done a couple of searches.

Erm...I havent really read much of the thread so no idea about the 'selfish bullshit'....so having glanced at this mornings post saw yours and as you've used Cheltenham as a comparison I asked the question.....I hadn't realised it was going to provoke quite that reaction...I'll cycle off back to where I came from. :moo:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Erm...I havent really read much of the thread so no idea about the 'selfish bullshit'....so having glanced at this mornings post saw yours and as you've used Cheltenham as a comparison I asked the question.....I hadn't realised it was going to provoke quite that reaction...I'll cycle off back to where I came from. :moo:

Sorry that wasn't my intention, it wasn't meant to be read in the tone you used (but I can see why you used it :lol: )

The above reasons were given in this thread against the current changes being made to Valley Gardens, as well as a 'car free day' for Brighton and other general threads based around cars not actually being fit for purpose for urban life.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here