Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Bulb Energy

mattjl15

Mar 18, 2016
Been with Bulb 1.5 years - never had an issue, you can submit your meter readings yourself (to make sure you're paying the right amount) and customer service is great. Can manage it all through their app too. Highly recommend.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
How does 'green' energy actually work then?

Do they make sure none of the power that comes into your home comes from non-renewable sources?

Yes, I am being deliberately obtuse.

No idea....and something I was wondering. Same pipe, different gas / electricity, I don't think so. However if it saves me £500+ per year and powers my stuff, I am not really sure I am bothered :)

All electricity to homes comes from the National Grid - which is a mix of electricity generated in a myriad of ways.

What green energy companies do is make sure that the electricity they buy that gets put into the grid in the first place is from renewable/green sources. So, the more people who buy from green energy companies, the higher the percentage of electricity on the grid is green.

I'm with the Co-op, just gone through the Bulb quote website, and they can save me minus £60 a year, so I won't be swapping! Not questioning people's personal habits and usage, but bills must be huge in the first place to have the possibility of saving £500 a year. Our combined gas, electric (and a bit of wood) is £950 a year and we're in the cold north.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Also switched to Bulb about 5 months back. Very happy so far. The big draw for me was the fact that they only operate one tariff, so there's transparency with their billing. They also don't tie you into a contract so you are free to switch at any time if you find a better deal.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Also switched to Bulb about 5 months back. Very happy so far. The big draw for me was the fact that they only operate one tariff, so there's transparency with their billing. They also don't tie you into a contract so you are free to switch at any time if you find a better deal.

Ecotricity do the same. I also like the ecotricity app which is very easy to use and transparent.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Your not getting greener energy it’s the same supply lines as everybody else, small print they claim to be investing in ideas for greener energy although in reality it’s a misguided selling point for the tree huggers.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I've decided to move from Utility Warehouse to Bulb recently, change over hasn't completed yet though.

Two reasons:
- a mate of mine recommended them
- UW have for the last six months been debiting me hundreds of pounds and then refunding me the following month despite being given meter readings. Terrible customer service as well.

Bulb, from my reading, have excellent customer service and don't seem to dick people about with their bills.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Your not getting greener energy it’s the same supply lines as everybody else, small print they claim to be investing in ideas for greener energy although in reality it’s a misguided selling point for the tree huggers.

Are you saying that they don't buy from renewable generation sources?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I'm just moved to 'Look After My Bills' - basically they will change me every year to whoever is cheapest (within reason) and I don't have to lift a finger. Saving £400 quid on the first year apparently.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Seems pretty green to me:

We supply all our members with 100% renewable electricity and 10% green gas. When you switch to Bulb, we make sure that for every unit of electricity you use, a unit is produced and put on the grid by a renewable source like Llyn Brenig Hydro in North Wales. In addition, 10% of our gas comes from biomethane. That's gas produced from organic matter like sewage and manure - which is then reinjected onto the grid (minus the smell).

We buy our energy from independent renewable generators from across the UK. Wherever possible, we have direct relationships with these generators to purchase their output. To cover any shortfalls, we purchase renewable energy on the wholesale market.

We think it's really important that you know where your energy comes from. From hydroelectricity to anaerobic digestion, our generators are an innovative bunch.

By being with Bulb, all our members are helping to protect the planet. Every year, the typical home with Bulb saves 1.3 tonnes of CO2 from entering the atmosphere. That's like planting 655 trees.

And for every switch to Bulb, we donate £2 to Edible Playgrounds by Trees for Cities, a charity transforming areas in inner-city schools into vibrant outdoor spaces that teach children about growing and eating healthy food.

Every unit of renewable electricity or gas that we purchase is accredited. This means we can verify the amount of renewable energy we supply. For electricity, this is run by the regulator Ofgem. Every year, like all suppliers, we report on the amount of electricity we've purchased from what source: coal, gas, nuclear and renewables. For Bulb, it's simple: 100% of our electricity comes from renewable sources. We report to the green gas industry too, who verify that 10% of our gas is from renewable sources.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Thanks
Seems pretty green to me:

We supply all our members with 100% renewable electricity and 10% green gas. When you switch to Bulb, we make sure that for every unit of electricity you use, a unit is produced and put on the grid by a renewable source like Llyn Brenig Hydro in North Wales. In addition, 10% of our gas comes from biomethane. That's gas produced from organic matter like sewage and manure - which is then reinjected onto the grid (minus the smell).

We buy our energy from independent renewable generators from across the UK. Wherever possible, we have direct relationships with these generators to purchase their output. To cover any shortfalls, we purchase renewable energy on the wholesale market.

We think it's really important that you know where your energy comes from. From hydroelectricity to anaerobic digestion, our generators are an innovative bunch.

By being with Bulb, all our members are helping to protect the planet. Every year, the typical home with Bulb saves 1.3 tonnes of CO2 from entering the atmosphere. That's like planting 655 trees.

And for every switch to Bulb, we donate £2 to Edible Playgrounds by Trees for Cities, a charity transforming areas in inner-city schools into vibrant outdoor spaces that teach children about growing and eating healthy food.

Every unit of renewable electricity or gas that we purchase is accredited. This means we can verify the amount of renewable energy we supply. For electricity, this is run by the regulator Ofgem. Every year, like all suppliers, we report on the amount of electricity we've purchased from what source: coal, gas, nuclear and renewables. For Bulb, it's simple: 100% of our electricity comes from renewable sources. We report to the green gas industry too, who verify that 10% of our gas is from renewable sources.
One cable supplies a single street all houses in that street tap of the exactly the same cable number 42 can’t get a separate green supply it’s impossible.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
I switched to bulk from EDF a couple of months ago and made an immediate saving. We are electricity only and use the day rate and economy seven rate. The day rate is much lower than I was paying with EDF. However the economy seven (night) rate and the standing charge are higher. This will mean for us that I will be saving more in the summer than the winter (when we use storage heaters). I intend to review rates in late October and consider whether it is worth switching again for the winter.

So far though bulb have been easy to deal with

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Thanks One cable supplies a single street all houses in that street tap of the exactly the same cable number 42 can’t get a separate green supply it’s impossible.

It's not a separate supply.

When I use a unit of electricity, from wherever it's sourced, Bulb will put a unit into the grid from a renewable source.

It's right there in the text man.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Can anyone here quote a daily standing charge and cost per kWh for their energy?

That is how the real price comparisons work, not "Oh I saved £XXX per year which is potentially based on a low DD payment to suck you in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here