Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Allardyce IPSO Case verdict

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the case with Allardyce was odd because he didnt actually do anything. he said that he knew about practices, iirc wasnt actually touting to provide that knowledge, but it was heavily infered by the press report that was the purpose of the meeting. would he have been open to providing said knowledge for a large brown envelope? perhaps, we'll never know for sure, the suspicion he might shouldnt have been enough to run the story as it was.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Just been listening to him, his lawyer and Jim white talking about this on talksport for and hour ..

Very interesting, well worth a listen back. This could of all been sorted within 6 months instead of 2 years.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Whatever. Thank **** it happened.
Imagine if he'd stayed

Exactly. That excellent summer will live long in the memory and I don’t think it would have happened under Sam!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It was a ridiculous sacking at the time, and a typically incompetent FA fudge. The fact that the Telegraph has had to publish a retraction/apology on their allegations will likely mean that Allardyce will be due some MAJOR compensation from them, probably in the form of an out of court settlement.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It was a ridiculous sacking at the time, and a typically incompetent FA fudge. The fact that the Telegraph has had to publish a retraction/apology on their allegations will likely mean that Allardyce will be due some MAJOR compensation from them, probably in the form of an out of court settlement.
May prove difficult because they have already paid him up.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Whatever. Thank **** it happened.
Imagine if he'd stayed

Exactly. That excellent summer will live long in the memory and I don’t think it would have happened under Sam!

Now I thoroughly enjoyed the World Cup this summer, but let's not get carried away.

England played 6 won 2 drew 1 lost 3.

Fantastic wins against Panama and Sweden, but a draw against Colombia and defeats to Croatia and Belgium (twice).

Exciting yes but not really that impressive was it ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
...and we all know what he actually said. If you inferred something from that , that is your take.

Regardless of intent, it was a ridiculous situation to put himself in. That error of judgement alone is enough to sack him.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Now I thoroughly enjoyed the World Cup this summer, but let's not get carried away.

Fantastic wins against Panama and Sweden, but a draw against Colombia and defeats to Croatia and Belgium (twice).

The bold part is the only part of your quote that matters.

No one said how great we were at football, they mentioned how great the summer was and suggested we probably wouldn't have had it with Allardyce.

The world cup and hence the summer was fun. For the first time in ages. A likeable team that managed to get to the the semi's, something beyond anyone's imagination going into the tournament.

And I think you agree.:thumbsup:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Or if you want to look at it another way, in competitive games that mattered at the tourno in 90 mins we won 3 drew 2. How you can count either Belgium game is laughable to be honest. We did really well, just accept it. I was very impressed with the team and squad as a whole and how they connected with the public. So were the majority of the public luckily.

Last edited:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The bold part is the only part of your quote that matters.

No one said how great we were at football, they mentioned how great the summer was and suggested we probably wouldn't have had it with Allardyce.

The world cup and hence the summer was fun. For the first time in ages. A likeable team that managed to get to the the semi's, something beyond anyone's imagination going into the tournament.

And I think you agree.:thumbsup:

Was exactly the other point I made, although I do think we did and played exceptionally well too.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Regardless of intent, it was a ridiculous situation to put himself in. That error of judgement alone is enough to sack him.

Really ?

Not sure what harm would've come of it. He didn't offer any advice on getting round 3rd party ownership, he just said that yes, there were ways around it and yes, it went on. Hardly groundbreaking. And when he was offered money to do some kind of conference speech, he said he would have to check with his employers first. Can't see much wrong with that either.

The pisstaking of Roy was crass and unbecoming. But there was nothing that went on in that meeting that couldn't have been sorted out by a full and frank apology by Allardyce, then within a week or two it would've been water under the bridge and all forgotten about.

The Telegraph got their pound of flesh out of it and naturally sexed it up as much as they could, but it was really much ado about nothing. Hell, I even quite admired the pint of wine. The FA went and pissed their knickers at the first whiff of controversy though, and hit the eject button. The usual shambles from them.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here