Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are you an economy class recliner?

When flying economy class, do you recline your seat?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • Yes, if the person in front reclines.

Votes: 22 12.0%
  • Yes, but I'll ask the person behind first.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • No, never.

Votes: 115 62.5%
  • Other - please state

Votes: 12 6.5%

• Total voters

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We've just taken our first long-haul economy class flights in some time (not cos we are rich, but because I'm a keen Air Miles collector and user) and I'd forgotten the utter cramped shitness that is economy class, more so when on a long flight.

That becomes even more the case when the person in front goes into full-on recline just as soon as they are able.

I resolved to not recline, even though I had the seat in front of me millimetres from my face (or at least that's how it felt).

Are you a recliner?

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Only if the person behind is a bit of a fatty.

I see it as my duty to encourage them to lose a bit of weight.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nope I don’t like it when the person in front of it does me and so I don’t inflict it on the person behind me, maybe I’m just a wimp?

**** everyone else seems to be the code to live by these days, can’t go that way personally.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We've just taken our first long-haul economy class flights in some time (not cos we are rich, but because I'm a keen Air Miles collector and user) and I'd forgotten the utter cramped shitness that is economy class, more so when on a long flight.

That becomes even more the case when the person in front goes into full-on recline just as soon as they are able.

I resolved to not recline, even though I had the seat in front of me millimetres from my face (or at least that's how it felt).

Are you a recliner?

I check with the person behind........if they've reclined, or say it's fine then I will. Try not to use economy for long haul where I can avoid it, and if I do also look to book seats where it's less of an issue.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I recline. There, I’ve admitted it.

Once saw a big arguement between two people and the person being squeezed persuaded him to swap seats. The air hostess was less than impressed, told then to return to their seats and made it pretty clear that reclining is fine.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
If reclining is not fine then why do the seats recline? Most, if not all of the short haul planes no longer have reclining seats anyway. If in economy on long haul it's perfectly acceptable to recline in order to properly rest. To the person behind I say 'if you hate having the seat in front of you so close then why not upgrade to a class with more room?'

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Only if the person behind is a bit of a fatty.

I see it as my duty to encourage them to lose a bit of weight.

Careful the internet police will be along in a minute accusing you of fat shaming.

Anyway, you’ve paid for the seat, it has the option to recline then recline away.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Honestly, if you recline your seat, especially without asking or checking who's behind you, then it's a pretty selfish act. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
As someone who is almost 6'4 when the person in front of me reclines it is awful.

Can also be an issue if using a coach to an away game.

I'd only ever recline if the seat behind wasn't being used.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
To the person behind I say 'if you hate having the seat in front of you so close then why not upgrade to a class with more room?'

Well there's a very simple answer to that. Personally I don't as I know how much it f***s it up for the person behind, but each to their own I suppose as [MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] suggests

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Sorry, but long haul does not mean 6 or 7 hours, it means 8 hours plus. In which case, yes I recline. Anything less than 6 hours then cannot be bothered.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Sorry, but long haul does not mean 6 or 7 hours, it means 8 hours plus. In which case, yes I recline. Anything less than 6 hours then cannot be bothered.

Sod that. It's 3 hours+ on our firm's travel policy and about 4-5 (depending on time of flight etc) if I'm paying for it myself.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
once had an argument on a long haul because the lady in front of my daughter would not put her seat up during meals. She didn't want anything and wanted to stay reclined leaving no room for my daughter to eat.
Fortunately the Stewardess intervened and made her put her seat upright.

If seats are meant to recline during long haul, why don't the entertainment screens tilt up enough to still be watched if you are of average height or taller?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here