Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are you an economy class recliner?

When flying economy class, do you recline your seat?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • Yes, if the person in front reclines.

Votes: 22 12.0%
  • Yes, but I'll ask the person behind first.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • No, never.

Votes: 115 62.5%
  • Other - please state

Votes: 12 6.5%

• Total voters

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
I recline, but nowhere near fully. Just enough to take out the "sitting upright" feeling.

I flew back from USA on Virgin night flight recently, booking extra leg room Economy delight. On getting on the plane, I soon realised that the plane was a late different substitute, not only was I in cramped Economy light but they had put me straight outside the loo. To say I was pleased was an understatement.

Got a refund of difference and additional 6000 miles, but it wasn't the point.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I recline, but nowhere near fully. Just enough to take out the "sitting upright" feeling.

I flew back from USA on Virgin night flight recently, booking extra leg room Economy delight. On getting on the plane, I soon realised that the plane was a late different substitute, not only was I in cramped Economy light but they had put me straight outside the loo. To say I was pleased was an understatement.

Got a refund of difference and additional 6000 miles, but it wasn't the point.
Same thing happened to me. Booked in December for 10 of us to go to LA next week on Norwegian. Got 10 seats all in exit row. Noticed last week that configuration of plane changed and we're now all in regular sests. Complaint fell on totally deaf ears ... like you, underwhelmed!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Same thing happened to me. Booked in December for 10 of us to go to LA next week on Norwegian. Got 10 seats all in exit row. Noticed last week that configuration of plane changed and we're now all in regular sests. Complaint fell on totally deaf ears ... like you, underwhelmed!

Is this to do with the grounding of Dreamliners due to Rolls Royce engine problems and shortages? I see Virgin leased two old Air Berlin Airbus 332s when their Dreamliners were grounded. The Air Berlin aircraft didn’t have Premium Economy...that has gone down well!

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Has the person in front reclined there's? If no, I'll leave mine upright. If yes, I will look behind to see what the person behind has done. If he's reclined his chair as well, I will recline mine (without asking - poor etiquette I know), if he hasn't then I would ask if they minded and say it's due to person in front reclining theirs.

When I do recline I never go the full way either, I find that an uncomfortable in between angle. It's more of a semi-recline.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
People who smash the seat back to full recline really are selfish ***** especially without even asking or checking with the person behind. I never recline mine.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If there's no-one behind me then yes - I'm 6'4" so any extra comfort I can get on long flights helps massively.

If there's someone behind me and they've reclined theirs, then yes again. If they haven't, I ask if they mind me reclining mine and act accordingly.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We've just taken our first long-haul economy class flights in some time (not cos we are rich, but because I'm a keen Air Miles collector and user) and I'd forgotten the utter cramped shitness that is economy class, more so when on a long flight.

That becomes even more the case when the person in front goes into full-on recline just as soon as they are able.

I resolved to not recline, even though I had the seat in front of me millimetres from my face (or at least that's how it felt).

Are you a recliner?

I'm with you on the reclining. I'm not a recliner, and if everyone did the same the world would be a better place.

I had one flight where they reclined before we had even taken off. Fortunately this was corrected by the hostess but as soon as they could they reclined.

Personally I could not sleep on a flight even if I had a luxury bed, but I just think it's selfishness to a high level.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
It depends on the duration of the flight and also take-off time. On my flight over to the UK recently it was 14 hours to Dubai and we left at 9.30pm. By midnight pretty much everyone was reclined, the lights were off and most people slept on and off for the whole flight. On the 7 hour second leg from Dubai to Gatwick it was more a daytime flight but still the majority reclined.

I don’t have a problem with the person in front of me reclining and I’ve never once been asked if I mind. On a short flight, say less than 7 hours, I probably wouldn’t recline unless it was an evening take-off and I wanted to sleep.

So I voted Other!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Down to the airline setting firm rules and seat mechanisms really to stop people acting like selfish ****s. Short haul, putting your seat in full recline mode is IMHO like putting your feet up on the public transport seat opposite. It's the action of wanker. Longer haul, it should be a given to recline your seat to try and get some sleep.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Honestly, if you recline your seat, especially without asking or checking who's behind you, then it's a pretty selfish act. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Why? This is such an English attitude. Most foreigners don't care... they've paid for a seat on long haul, they want to be comfortable, so if it reclines then they recline.

I'd actually be questioning the people that AREN'T reclining on a long haul flight. How are you comfortable? Why would you do this to yourself? Be a normal person and get some sleep!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Down to the airline setting firm rules and seat mechanisms really to stop people acting like selfish ****s. Short haul, putting your seat in full recline mode is IMHO like putting your feet up on the public transport seat opposite. It's the action of wanker. Longer haul, it should be a given to recline your seat to try and get some sleep.

I agree, you have paid for that seat and it reclines, i am not a selfish person, but on long haul flights, if it makes me more comfortable and able to sleep (something I find very difficult to do) then I will and do recline, it is more about what you have to put up with if you are flying economy, its more to do with the airline cramming the seats in, which become ridiculous when reclining.
Hawaii-LA LA-London over 2 nights finished me off flying long haul, without any sleep.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
If you buy an airline ticket, does that not include all the facilities that come with it? i.e reclining seat, air blowy thing, reading light etc. These things are designed to minimize the effect on other passengers. For people to arbitrarily decide which facilities should and shouldn't be used is a bit controlling isn't it?

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
People who smash the seat back to full recline really are selfish ***** especially without even asking or checking with the person behind. I never recline mine.

At 6’ 6” it’s pretty much impossible for the seat in front to be reclined as my knees are squashed up against the seat in its vertical position. It doesn’t stop twats from trying even when it’s pointed out that it isn’t going to happen due to the laws of physics.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
If the person infront reclines your seat, you can’t see the screen properly, so you have to recline.

I’m only reclining as soon as person infront of me does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
We once took a flight from Gatwick to Edinburgh. As soon as the seatbelt light went off, the people in front had fully reclined and put eye shades on. And this was an hour long flight!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Generally no. Unless there is a child behind me who's ***** parents are allowing him/her to kick the back of my chair incessantly and not try to stop them. In which case I will make it my absolute mission to suddenly recline and suddenly un-recline at frequent but random intervals throughout the entire flight. The more times their ****ing ipad/juice/meal gets knocked over the better. If you won't chastise your kids then you deserve to have to deal with them being miserable/wet/hungry.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If the person infront reclines your seat, you can’t see the screen properly, so you have to recline.

I’m only reclining as soon as person infront of me does it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Airline equivalent of standing up in the NS at the Amex. You stand up because the person in front of you is standing up.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
if it makes me more comfortable and able to sleep (something I find very difficult to do) then I will and do recline,
Hawaii-LA LA-London over 2 nights finished me off flying long haul, without any sleep.

A swig of Night Nurse works wonders!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why? This is such an English attitude. Most foreigners don't care... they've paid for a seat on long haul, they want to be comfortable, so if it reclines then they recline.

I'd actually be questioning the people that AREN'T reclining on a long haul flight. How are you comfortable? Why would you do this to yourself? Be a normal person and get some sleep!

You only posted about long haul on which we are mainly all agreed. Your thoughts on short haul?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
If the person in front reclines without asking then I tend to hit or rattle their seat every couple of minutes and keep asking them to "put it up a bit". You don't recline into my space and sleep undisturbed.
If they ask, however, I say "no".

I dunno why airlines don't offer "non-reclining" as an option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here