Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are you an economy class recliner?

When flying economy class, do you recline your seat?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • Yes, if the person in front reclines.

Votes: 22 12.0%
  • Yes, but I'll ask the person behind first.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • No, never.

Votes: 115 62.5%
  • Other - please state

Votes: 12 6.5%

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
BA Heathrow to Bangalore a couple of weeks ago. Plane 90% full of Indians. The second the seatbelt light went off every single one of them reclined. So I did too but only to complete the game of dominoes. Problem was the bloke in front of me wouldn’t sit up when the meals came out until I complained to him and the stewardess told him to sit up.

I’d rather we all hadn’t than we all had but there was no way I was being the only uncomfortable one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your first mistake.....:whistle::lolol:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Called manners. An aeroplane is too small and cramped a venue for thundercuntwomblry. And if the dick in front of me does a fat recline I'll kick him in the back all way. No point saying anything....

For me the worst aspect of economy is the kid behind kicking my seat. I will and always do ask the parents to sort it out. Always works.

Nice one Harry.
Manners is kicking people in the back, calling everyone dicks and having a pop at a kids parents.
Or am I about to be wooooshed.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
BA Heathrow to Bangalore a couple of weeks ago. Plane 90% full of Indians. The second the seatbelt light went off every single one of them reclined. So I did too but only to complete the game of dominoes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stiff upper lip and all that...………... the image of you (or what I imagine you to look like) being the only non recliner on the plane makes me smile!!

Jul 7, 2003
I answered other. Short haul, never recline, don't see the need. Long Haul, I will recline slightly but definitely not the full way back unless I know the seat behind is empty.

I had the problem on a recent fly back from JFK where the women in front (in an exit row with loads of legroom) tried to recline her seat fully into my knees. I make no apologies for behaving like a petulant child and using my knees to bang the back of her seat in time to the music I was listening to. She then made the schoolgirl error of pressing the button to adjust the recline at which point I jammed my knees forward to stop her reclining at all. After several attempts to realign my knees she realised that the seat was not going to recline again that flight and gave up. Only downside was that as I was wearing shorts, you could still see the pattern of the Virgin Atlantic seatback on my knees several hours after we had landed.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Short haul I don't bother unless the person in front does. When I fly from Australia to the UK yes I do so I can get some sleep. I am 6'2 and don't mind when people recline the seat in front as I see it as part and parcel of air travel. Once everyone does it it is not so bad, perhaps another way of looking at it is the uprighters are the ones in the wrong here and should be getting called names.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Once everyone does it it is not so bad, perhaps another way of looking at it is the uprighters are the ones in the wrong here and should be getting called names.

What if someone is noticeably taller than you, whose leg length physically precludes the seat in front from reclining?

Bearing in mind, you can’t choose your adult height, what names would you suggest I was called?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What if someone is noticeably taller than you, whose leg length physically precludes the seat in front from reclining?

Bearing in mind, you can’t choose your adult height, what names would you suggest?

Just need a bit of flexibility and consideration. I wouldn't suggest calling people names over a seat position, one just comes over as a bit petty.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Short haul I don't bother unless the person in front does. When I fly from Australia to the UK yes I do so I can get some sleep. I am 6'2 and don't mind when people recline the seat in front as I see it as part and parcel of air travel. Once everyone does it it is not so bad, perhaps another way of looking at it is the uprighters are the ones in the wrong here and should be getting called names.

You just have.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Just need a bit of flexibility and consideration. I wouldn't suggest calling people names over a seat position, one just comes over as a bit petty.

What are you suggesting, that I should take up yoga in the hope that, not only do my joints become hyper flexible but my bones become soft and bendy?

And how can you reply saying you “wouldn't suggest calling people names over a seat position, one just comes over as a bit petty”

when the post of yours I was replying to, said..

“perhaps another way of looking at it is the uprighters are the ones in the wrong here and should be getting called names.

If that isn’t suggesting exactly that then what is it?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What are you suggesting, that I should take up yoga in the hope that, not only do my joints become hyper flexible but my bones become soft and bendy?

Yoga is very good for you so yes i would suggest taking it up. However that was not the meaning of 'flexible' that i was referring to.

And how can you reply saying you “wouldn't suggest calling people names over a seat position, one just comes over as a bit petty”

when the post of yours I was replying to, said..

“perhaps another way of looking at it is the uprighters are the ones in the wrong here and should be getting called names.

If that isn’t suggesting exactly that then what is it?

The point i was making was that i think it is unhelpful, petty and ill mannered to be calling people rude names over the position of their seat on a long haul flight. My sentence “perhaps another way of looking at it is the uprighters are the ones in the wrong here and should be getting called names.” was designed to demonstrate that I hold the same opinion regardless of seats being reclined or upright. I know it seems to be encouraging name calling for people with upright seats but actually it was a device to highlight the ridiculousness of name calling over seat position. Its like something Stuart Lee would do (I don't really think this btw).

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I recline a bit. In my mind that's fine, and I expect everyone to on long haul flights. Full recline is a bit out of order. Seems to depend on the airline though, I was on a Cathay Pacific flight a few years ago and those chairs came right back in your face. That's the only time I have asked the person in front to put their seat forward a bit.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I like to recline on long haul if I'm in economy but I always politely inform the person behind me that I'm about to invade their space. I really can't understand the level of rudeness and ignorance demonstrated by people who just recline and if it happens to me it pisses me off big time. A few polite words...is that too much to ask for???

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I’ve experienced the same, and the rudeness was staggering, the people in front of us had bulkhead seats so unlimited legroom, but as soon as they were able to they went full recline. I asked them if they’d consider just going half way, but they point blank refused, only sitting up when meals were brought around.

This may help ease the situation, I shall try them next time.

http://www.gadgetduck.com/goods/kneedefender.html

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here