Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are you an economy class recliner?

When flying economy class, do you recline your seat?

• Yes, always.

Votes: 18 9.8%
  • Yes, if the person in front reclines.

Votes: 22 12.0%
  • Yes, but I'll ask the person behind first.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • No, never.

Votes: 115 62.5%
  • Other - please state

Votes: 12 6.5%

• Total voters

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I actually find it easier to sleep when my seat isn't reclined. A reclined economy seat seems to be at such an uncomfortable angle, I don't really see the benefit.

The instant recliners are all complete ****s. I have no problem with people reclining on a late/overnight flight when people need to sleep, once the meal is out of the way and they dim the lights.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
No, never. Put up with it someone doing it to me once on a charter flight back from the Canaries by the end of which I was so claustrophobic I was borderline psychotic.

Since then, I have never and will never again fly on a charter aircraft and the longest I will fly in an Easyjet trip is around three hours. Then I usually try and book the second row of the exit row seats as the ones in front of me are fixed and don't recline.

Long haul, it's Premium Economy as a minimum these days. I appreciate I am fortunate enough to be able to afford to do that but also, I don't want to go anywhere badly enough that I'd be prepared to fly in steerage ever again.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
If the person in front reclines without asking then I tend to hit or rattle their seat every couple of minutes and keep asking them to "put it up a bit". You don't recline into my space and sleep undisturbed.
If they ask, however, I say "no".

I dunno why airlines don't offer "non-reclining" as an option.

How is "my space" defined? Have you bought a ticket for the rectangular cube of air extending upwards from the base of your seat? -or is it for the seat with a reclining facility?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
You only posted about long haul on which we are mainly all agreed. Your thoughts on short haul?

I suppose, like many others have said, it depends on the length of the flight and the time of the flight. I don't remember the last short haul flight I went on with reclinable seats though. At least not in Economy class.

I guess I just don't quite get what is driving the moral outrage on here? Why is it so morally outrageous to recline a reclinable chair that you've paid for? Maybe those questions insinuate that I'd have no problems reclining in most situations...

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
As an aside - I would be willing to bet that the non-recliners represent the same group of people who would queue up in a single lane on the approach to a closed motorway lane, whereas the recliners would be the ones advocating a merge-in-turn at the merge point. I reckon it represents the same personality traits.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
We've just taken our first long-haul economy class flights in some time (not cos we are rich, but because I'm a keen Air Miles collector and user) and I'd forgotten the utter cramped shitness that is economy class, more so when on a long flight.

That becomes even more the case when the person in front goes into full-on recline just as soon as they are able.

I resolved to not recline, even though I had the seat in front of me millimetres from my face (or at least that's how it felt).

Are you a recliner?

What is this economy class that you speak of?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
How is "my space" defined? Have you bought a ticket for the rectangular cube of air extending upwards from the base of your seat? -or is it for the seat with a reclining facility?

"my space" is anywhere that I say it is. And in this case it includes that small, but very particular area that tosspots want to recline into.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Yes but am six foot four so every cm of pitch counts.

Still not successful enough to afford to turn left or sensible enough to rack up points on associated cards to help us turn left.

One day. One day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I suppose, like many others have said, it depends on the length of the flight and the time of the flight. I don't remember the last short haul flight I went on with reclinable seats though. At least not in Economy class.

I guess I just don't quite get what is driving the moral outrage on here? Why is it so morally outrageous to recline a reclinable chair that you've paid for? Maybe those questions insinuate that I'd have no problems reclining in most situations...

It physically hurts and causes discomfort. I wouldn't want to cause another person pain and discomfort. Whenever I have reclined (when no one is behind me) the pay off seems so minimal I just can't get my head around ruining another person's journey for so little gain.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I recline. There, I’ve admitted it.

Once saw a big arguement between two people and the person being squeezed persuaded him to swap seats. The air hostess was less than impressed, told then to return to their seats and made it pretty clear that reclining is fine.

Saw a similar thing on Canaries flights. A grumpy git got aggressive with the people in front who'd reclined. The cabin crew completely sided with the people in front.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Why? This is such an English attitude. Most foreigners don't care... they've paid for a seat on long haul, they want to be comfortable, so if it reclines then they recline.

I'd actually be questioning the people that AREN'T reclining on a long haul flight. How are you comfortable? Why would you do this to yourself? Be a normal person and get some sleep!

So, if you have someone tall or big behind you, you just think "sod em", I've paid for this so tough if it makes someone else uncomfortable? A little bit of consideration goes a long way for me.

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
Night flights - it's OK to recline.

< 2 hr flight - never.

Rather than ask the person to sit back so I can work I just fume silently and kick their seat as much as feasible.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
As someone who is almost 6'4 when the person in front of me reclines it is awful.

Can also be an issue if using a coach to an away game.

I'd only ever recline if the seat behind wasn't being used.

I'm just over 6'4" and on our last flight to Sydney I upset the girl in the row in front who tried to recline her seat, and I just braced my knees which stopped her seat going into a reclining position. I find that removing all the junk from the back of the seat in front (in flight magazine, safety notice, etc etc) and just placing them under the seat frees up a bit more room.

Personally I can't see the need to recline a seat, as I can fall asleep without any problems.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Pleased to say it would be a pleasure to sit behind MOST of the NSCers on this thread on a flight but knowing my luck I’d get stuck behind one of the minority :smile:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
As someone who is almost 6'4 when the person in front of me reclines it is awful.

Can also be an issue if using a coach to an away game.

I'd only ever recline if the seat behind wasn't being used.

I'm in the same position (or height).

Airline and train seats are painful enough these days, in terms of cramped legroom, without the seat in front attacking you.

I flew back from NY once and I couldn't even put my feet on the floor - legs were splayed out with knees pressed against the seats in front. Don't fly long-haul anymore unless I'm in the fortunate position of the client paying for business class or at least something better than economy.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here