Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Obvious bands which you knew about, but passed you buy until later

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Peter Gabriel. Weirdly been getting into some of his stuff recently, annoys me that I forget the song title but my Spotify brought one up the other day as I was driving and it was a beautiful piece of music.

He's just a wonderful musician. I've seen him do his proper show and the full orchestra show and both, though completely different, were stunning.

Scratch My Back/And I'll Scratch Yours is also one of the most interesting "projects" in recent music history. Book of Love and My Body is a Cage are just beautiful reworkings.

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
Athlete. By all accounts the sound of the festivals in 2005 but my daughter bought me Tourist as a birthday present some years later. Different tack for me musically and took two or three plays before it became a firm favourite. Well, it's hardly Skynyrd, is it?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Beatles, obviously knew all the singles from growing up but didn't get to know the albums until quite recently as they had gone out of fashion in my teenage years. Likewise John Lennon's albums. Visited the Yoko Ono & John Lennon 'Double Fantasy' exhibition while in Liverpool last weekend and ordered 'Imagine' a couple of days ago as a result.

We went to that museum last Saturday, and the same top floor exhibition. I wasn't going to bother, but it was brilliant, very moving.

I was brought up in the 60's and 70's with my Dad listening to the Beatles, so always loved them.

Back to the OP, I like many songs by Johnny Cash, John Denver and Glen Campbell. As a kid and young adult, I couldn't stand that genre. The brilliant BBC4 documentaries helped, plus youtube's amazing.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
A mate of mine turned me on to Radio Paradise (internet, commercial free) It's opened up a lot of stuff which I wouldn't ordinarily listen to and wouldn't surface on UK radio. To give you a flavour,I'd go here https://www.radioparadise.com/rp_2.php?#name=Music
In addition to re-discovering older musicians and album tracks, there's some recent and new stuff too.

THE barntit seagull? where you been buddy!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Possibly a bit odd seeing as I am a mad Squeeze fan, but seeing as they had hits in 1978, I never got into them until 1987.

Of course, I had heard of Cool for Cats and Up the Junction, but I thought they had split up for good in 1982. It wasn’t until I went around a mates house in 1987 and he played “Greatest Hits” that I thought “wow”. Co-incidentally, they had Hourglass in the charts around that time and I simply went out and bought Album after Album of theirs.

I’ve seen them many times, but wish I had seen them in the early 80’s

The Squeeze Greatest Hits album wasn't released until 1992, you must have been played a copy of Singles - 45s and Under which was released in 1982 and is such a great title .

Having seen Squeeze at the Top Rank in Brighton back in 1978 you missed experiencing a great gig.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
So many.
I have always been heavily into Soul, Jazz-Funk, Ska and Reggae, I missed out on so much other music that I appreciate now.
I suppose the biggest band that I ignored was The Rolling Stones.
I now spend hours on You Tube sifting through all sorts of stuff going back to the 60's.
Still plenty I don't like and never will, but I am discovering some great stuff.
But so much of the black music that I was into then is still so relevant today.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Used to have Typical music taste for my age, Bowie, the Stones, a lot of new wave, etc, and although I still like all that stuff, I’ve started listening to a lot of 60s style soul, not so much Motown, although I love the Temps, more Wilson Picket , SAM and Dave, Otis.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Super Furry Animals & The Beta Band.

SFA I didn't get in to until about 2006 and the Beta Band just after they split and released their best of album.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Addicts for me.
Saw them at a festival a couple of years back and wondered why i had not clocked them before.

I properly discovered my love for heavy metal 4 years ago, so tons of examples of bands who I knew of but had no genuine admiration or love for.

Most prominent one that comes to mind is Iron Maiden, who are now arguably one of my favourite bands. Recall hanging out with some friends in London for the day back in 2013 and in the afternoon they headed to see Maiden at the O2, whilst I went off to cover a Cycling event in St James' Park.

Looking back now, I'd have killed to have been there given that I never know how many chances I'll get to see them live. The Legacy of the Beast tour they've been on this summer was marvellous!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here