Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 4th Test v India

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
100% this.....even on good pitches 200 is fairly rarely chased down.

All this talk of how T20 has changed Test scoring rates doesn't take into account the number of overs bowled during a Test and the damage it does to the wicket, hence spin bowlers being able to win Tests while they mostly contain in limited overs formats. Chasing 200 plus is still a big ask.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
yay !

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Selection for the next test will be interesting. Would expect Jennings to be replaced and Rashid must be vulnerable too.

Maybe Burns & Pope for Jennings and Rashid.

If Woakes is fit, does he come in? Who for though? Broad or Anderson to be rested perhaps? Although they’d both do their nut and in fairness their workloads have been more than manageable.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that we should experiment with either new openers to replace Cook and Jennings or even try what we have in Moeen Ali and Bairstow.and replace batsmen lower down the order especially at No 3 to allow Root to bat at 4.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think that we should experiment with either new openers to replace Cook and Jennings or even try what we have in Moeen Ali and Bairstow.and replace batsmen lower down the order especially at No 3 to allow Root to bat at 4.

Are you Bayliss in disguise?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Neither Ali or Bairstow usually open for their counties, not sure why you think they could do it at test level.

Ali at 3 is an option perhaps (although failed here).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Neither Ali or Bairstow usually open for their counties, not sure why you think they could do it at test level.

Ali at 3 is an option perhaps (although failed here).

I think Ali has been tried as an opener for England - possibly in limited overs format perhaps? I don't think that went too well either. Agree about dropping Root down to no.4 though - but heaven knows who's going to go in at no.3.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
I think Ali has been tried as an opener for England - possibly in limited overs format perhaps? I don't think that went too well either. Agree about dropping Root down to no.4 though - but heaven knows who's going to go in at no.3.
He has opened in tests. In fact he’s played every position from 1 to 9. He hasn’t got a good record opening. Quick fire 20s then getting out usually.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Cooks days must be numbered by either his or the selectors choice as an opener, so who is doing the job well for their county side. It would be a backward step to bring in a tried batsman to play no 3 Perhaps as a short term fix if we could find 2 openers Cook could be tried at no 3 and perhaps prolong his career.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cooks days must be numbered by either his or the selectors choice as an opener, so who is doing the job well for their county side. It would be a backward step to bring in a tried batsman to play no 3 Perhaps as a short term fix if we could find 2 openers Cook could be tried at no 3 and perhaps prolong his career.

So you want to open with players who don’t even open for their counties, and then put Cook, who has basically only ever played as an opener, at no 3 ? Won’t happen.

Would like to see Burns given a go opening and think Hildreth is worth a look......usually bats at 4 but as Root seems to have to bat there would maybe try him at 3. Hildreth can also trundle down a few overs if needed.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I don't think you can drop Cook unless we get his partner scoring runs first, then you could consider it with one stable partner. To bring in two new opening bats feels wrong. Plus Cook is generally reliable in the slips and seems a good team man, so let's find one successful opening partner before we start looking for two.

I'd have selected Bell if the score was 2-2 but with the series already won, it's time for Pope to be given another chance at the expense of Rashid.

I'd also bring in Burns for Jennings.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So you want to open with players who don’t even open for their counties, and then put Cook, who has basically only ever played as an opener, at no 3 ? Won’t happen.

Would like to see Burns given a go opening and think Hildreth is worth a look......usually bats at 4 but as Root seems to have to bat there would maybe try him at 3. Hildreth can also trundle down a few overs if needed.

You misunderstood me I would like another opener with Jennings or 2 new ones from County sides and as the result is not really that important try Cook at No 3 if it works well good if not ditch the idea and bring in another uncapped No3 on the next tour.and revert back to Cook opening.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I don't think you can drop Cook unless we get his partner scoring runs first, then you could consider it with one stable partner. To bring in two new opening bats feels wrong. Plus Cook is generally reliable in the slips and seems a good team man, so let's find one successful opening partner before we start looking for two.

I'd have selected Bell if the score was 2-2 but with the series already won, it's time for Pope to be given another chance at the expense of Rashid.

I'd also bring in Burns for Jennings.

Here is my 12. I think I'd be very tempted to rest Bairstow. I'd give the openers one more go and play Pope and Burns on their home ground. I'm not sure Bairstow is 'on it' right now and had that strop because he didn't get the gloves (with a broken finger) for the 4th Test. Nasser Hussain made a really good point saying that Buttler is the better judge than JB of when to use an appeal. Funny - I've looked though my Wicketkeeping coaching manual for 1946 and nowhere is this listed as a competence for 'keepers!

Cook
Jennings
Burns
Root
Pope
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Moeen
Curran
Broad
Jimmy

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Here is my 12. I think I'd be very tempted to rest Bairstow. I'd give the openers one more go and play Pope and Burns on their home ground. I'm not sure Bairstow is 'on it' right now and had that strop because he didn't get the gloves (with a broken finger) for the 4th Test. Nasser Hussain made a really good point saying that Buttler is the better judge than JB of when to use an appeal. Funny - I've looked though my Wicketkeeping coaching manual for 1946 and nowhere is this listed as a competence for 'keepers!

Cook
Jennings
Burns
Root
Pope
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Moeen
Curran
Broad
Jimmy

I’d go with that...

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Cook
Jennings
Burns
Root
Pope
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Moeen
Curran
Broad
Jimmy

Would you play Woakes if fit?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Would you play Woakes if fit?

To keep the right balance it's probably got to be two from Stokes, Woakes and Curran.............although I wonder, given the way he's applied himself batting, Stokes could even move up to 5/6 with Moeen at 3 which would allow us to accommodate all three. Not going to any weaker at the top than we've been recently anyway. Something like :

Cook
Burns
Moeen
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Buttler
Curran
Woakes
Broad
Anderson

Paying the bills