Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 4th Test v India

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
So, as an Aussie, my assessment on English cricket at the moment (and yes, I know, the Aussie side has its own issues)...

1. I don't understand why Cook has been kept for so long. His form over the last couple of years has been horrendous (apart from the odd innings every 6 months or so that have helped prop his averages up). The only thing he has going for him is his experience, but I'm not seeing that have much positive effect on the team as a whole. IMO you'd be better off bringing in a young player and getting them to build experience. I know you've not got any stand out obvious choices, but at the end of the day I still think you're better off blooding young players given that you aren't risking anything (given that Cook is so out of sorts).

2. Let's talk about Root. He's an absolute talent - no doubt about it. He's a potential match winner, and historically has been posting significant scores on a regular basis. But someone needs to work with him to sort out whatever it is that's preventing him converting 50's into 100's more often. I did an analysis of Root's test innings vs Smith's during the last Ashes series and it stood out like a sore thumb: Root scores 50's at the same rate (marginally better, actually) that Smith does. Smith converts significantly more of those 50's into 100's. It's an even more stark comparison when you compare Root and Kohli. If Kohli makes it to 50, more often than not he makes 100+. Root's conversion rate is abysmal for such a stand out talent.

It may simply be that he needs to hand the captaincy over to someone else. Who, I don't know, but it wouldn't be the first time that a bat freed of captaincy goes on to become a far better bat.

3. Who's the lead spinner in the country? The guy who's going to get picked for every game. If you can't find a Shane Warne or a Ravi Ashwin or Murali, can you at least find a Nathan Lyon? (Hint: Moeen isn't the answer. Bess or Leach might be. Or Rashid if given assurances of his place). Worth noting that Lyon took a while to establish his place (and even now doesn't seem to inspire automatic selection as the Aussie selectors are still searching for a Warne/McGill rather than a workman), but once he was given a run in the side he did settle into it nicely.

4. The one area that might be looking up ... if the selectors grow some balls ... is your fast bowling / all rounder stocks. Stokes (if he can keep his temper in check) is brilliant, Woakes (if he stays fit) isn't far behind, and you've now got Curran pushing his way in. Now going back to growing some balls (and getting a bit controversial): a) drop Broad, give Curran a prolonged run to settle in; b) tell Anderson he'll only be selected for home series from now on, and slot in Wood or similar for overseas. Why? You'll get an extra season or few of home series out of Anderson that way (and he remains the best bowler in English conditions), but he's no longer as effective overseas.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
After we won in Australia under Strauss, management went public that the aim was to dominate test cricket in the way the Aussies had in the 90’s to 2014.

Better to keep your gob shut and take each test at a time I thought.

Since that tour, we’ve won and lost home tests, in the main been awful overseas, and there’ve been so many batting collapses.

God help the team when Anderson retires.

Its been all talk ever since and a total emphasis on one day cricket. They have treated Test cricket with the sort of complacency that angers and frustrates in equal measure and have effectively reduced it to a three day game. Players get away with loose shots over and over again and are still picked. The young, immature and very poor captain is allowed to spout utter garbage...." our players are hungry for runs in the Fourth Test ".....just as he kept trolling out ridiculous stuff in Australia.
The plain fact is that this squad cannot adjust to the mentality of playing Test Cricket. In helpful conditions they are bailed out by Anderson, a high class performer in the right conditions. 36-4 on the first morning is laughably poor and they are already halfway to losing this Test. When you actually examine this squad of players, you discover stroke players with a lack of technique, regularly failing to build an innings but being picked for Test after Test.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There really is no finer sight in cricket than a rampant Ali Cook, but it's becoming more and more sporadic. He should rightly be remembered as one of, if not, the finest batsmen this nation has ever produced and I am concerned his legacy is currently being torn to shreds.

:nono:

I think openers have a distinct lifespan, it's not age, it is how long you've been doing it, there are exceptions like some of the Australians like Hayden and Langer, but they are exceptions and that might not have happened without them in partnership in their later years. Cook is only 33, but he was 21 on debut, so has 12 years of international opening – that is a long career span, and similar to Graeme Smith in a lot of ways. Opening is a partnership and he's just not had anyone to gel with unfortunately.

Krusty

Sep 9, 2006
Oh dear, Buttler drives at a wide one and Kohli takes a sharp catch at 3rd slip... 69-5 :nono:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
This is what happens when you play people out of position and pack the team with bit part players. We think we have a team of Botham's but really just have a load of average all rounders now many No. 6's can you get in one team?

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
The saving grace is that we have Broad and Anderson who will be taking careful note of the lengths the Indian seamers are bowling and will then bowl short of a length as they usual do.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
6 (SIX) down now

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The top, sorry I mean first four batsmen scored 20 something runs between them, and yet each of the 4 batsmen since have managed to do that on their own. Says it all really.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I wouldnt say that as Ali is a spin bowler and Curran is the same as Stokes so I would suggest that Curran is replacing Woakes as a batsman fast bowler and if needed compliment Stokes. and Ali is replacing Pope as a batsman but also a spin bowler if extra one needed.

The top, sorry I mean first four batsmen scored 20 something runs between them, and yet each of the 4 batsmen since have managed to do that on their own. Says it all really.

I quite like Simon Mann's comment on BBC:

"England just need to find a number three. And a one. And a two.

They've got plenty of sixes. It's like being dealt all the wrong cards."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You just know that Curran is going to be the top scorer this innings (not much competition of course).

This just shows the idiocy of dropping him after Lord's. He's been one real bright spot for England this summer, madness to leave him out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here