Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Would you risk our Premier League status by really going for it in a Cup competition?

Would you risk our Premier League status to go on a Cup run?

• Total voters

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
How many cups have we won in our history?

How many times have we played in Europe?

Or is it better for us to be relegation candidates season after season?

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Wasn’t it wba or stoke last season that came out and said they were bored of the same old season of just surviving ? It’s a tough one , we were all on board last season and most will b this season , but already cracks are starting to appear in fans opinion about cup runs .Im sure Tony is just happy to get as much of his money back as possible by just surviving which is fair enough seeing as it’s his money but trying to keep the fans happy will be the tougher one , for me I’m just happy with 17th this season but not next. Think our squad is still a season or a couple of transfer windows away to have a go in the cup as showed last night not enough strength in depth when a couple on injuries appear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Question assumes that one causes the other. I fail to see how a sensibly managed cup campaign results in certain relegation...

We have a slim chance of winning a cup, we have no chance whatsoever of winning this league. Would I risk half fit players? Obviously not, but a smattering of 1st team players is not going to result in certain relegation and a cup run can offer benefits in improved confidence, revenue, and even european competition. Fatigue needs to be factored in but this is a 38 game division, we don't have european football or too many internationals to worry about, we can afford to play stronger sides than we are, even if its not our best XI every time.

I did stress it was a basic poll and I don’t think I have mentioned certain relegation but, imo, the risk of players getting injured/knackered could place a possibly unnecessary strain on a quite small squad of players with Premier League experience. Once we have an experienced 25 maybe worth a gamble but at the moment we do not have a particularly strong squad in terms of experience. The back will not be likely to save us if we had to resort to using them en masse in the Premier League. So, again imo, we will be risking survival, which is not guaranteed anyway, if we have an injury/suspension situation aggravated by a full on cup campaign.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At this stage I think the risk is minimal, so I would play a stronger team.
Right, so you're answer should be 'No' or 'Other', as you wouldn't risk our PL status.

The questions wasn't 'Would you put out a stronger team?'.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Don't think playing a first team squad in the cup equals risking Premier League status personally. Might as well try and win something :thumbsup:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Other. I don't accept that a cup run would materially affect our chances of PL survival. If we're good enough, we'll stay up - and winning is a habit, the more you win the more likely you are to win; a cup run (lots of lovely wins) would boost morale and confidence.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I admire the optimism of certain posters suggesting that we need to wait until we are established in the PL before having a crack at winning a cup. We will never be truly established in the PL. There are only a handful of clubs guaranteed to be in the top flight for the foreseeable future. For the rest, its an ongoing struggle to stay clear of relegation. Thats why the best part of 50 clubs have appeared in the PL. They come and they go. Some stay a bit longer than others but eventually time runs out for all bar the elite.
CH has had two priorities as BHA manager. Firstly to get us to the PL. Secondly to keep us in the PL. Since his tenure began, the cup competitions have come a distant second in priority. That won't change, certainly not in the League Cup. It comes too early in the season for us to know that we are going to have a comfortable and successful season. The FAC is a little different, as the PL enters in January, when you are already half way through the league season.
As long as CH is manager he will adopt the same attitude to cup competitions, albeit in the PL or the Championship.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Right, so you're answer should be 'No' or 'Other', as you wouldn't risk our PL status.

The questions wasn't 'Would you put out a stronger team?'.

What else would you not do if it put our Premier League status at risk?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Did I dream the fact that we got to the quarter finals of the FA Cup last season, only going out to Man United at Old Trafford in a pretty even game?

Not sure we need to risk anything if that's the sort of cup run we can manage.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Voted no, but just for this season.With all the new players settled,I see no reason for not going for ONE of the cups.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The results so far in the POLL are quite overwhelmingly in favour of CH's current policy.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What else would you not do if it put our Premier League status at risk?
Well for a start, I wouldn't wear the wrong colour clothes. I wouldn't not turn up to games, and I wouldn't leave early.

My influence on the results peters out at that point.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The results so far in the POLL are quite overwhelmingly in favour of CH's current policy.
And that's not even allowing for those that didn't understand the question.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
No chance. I absolutely love being in the premier league, the standard of football and players we get to watch each week is incredible. As fun as the championship is, when you watch matches in that league now, it's like a different game. I know this won't be a popular opinion with fans like my father and his generation who experienced 1983, but I really am just not that bothered by cups, just find them a distraction. Unfortunately, even the FA cup has been spoilt as a competition in recent years and it just doesn't hold the same esteem any more.

Having said that, a cup run/win obviously be good though and as said above, going for a cup doesn't necessarily mean we have to risk PL status once we have been in the premier league a few more years. I looked at that Southampton line up last night and despite making 10 changes they still put out a really strong, experienced side. That for me is the difference between a side who have been in the top division for 6 years and another, 1 year.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Is the right answer, we are still new to the Premier League and need to concentrate on keeping that league for a minimum of 3 to 5 years, look at West Prom or Stoke and see what one bad season brings

I don't really think Stoke (10 years in the Prem) and West Brom (7 years) are very good teams to use to prove the point you are making. Surely the lesson from those two is that you are never ever safe from relegation unless you are one of the big boys.

Therefore, never take the cups seriously.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
And that's not even allowing for those that didn't understand the question.

It's not really a straight-forward question though is it.

At what stage of a cup competition does fielding our strongest team start to pose a risk to our PL survival? For example, at this stage we have little idea how well we are doing in the PL survival stakes. By the fourth round of the FA Cup, we'll have a much better idea.

In answer to your question, I don't believe we are putting our PL survival at risk at the start of a League Cup run. Take it each round as it comes.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It's a squad game and we need to give players the chance to play. If all last night did was convince CH not to play Gross deeper than it was worth it.

We are not certain of staying up and each league place is worth £1.8m+ so concerntrate on being a Premier league club for several years before trying to win a cup

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I find the argument for playing weakened sides interesting. In a lot of cases it seems to be around how much money we make for a league place v a cup win. Ultimately, clubs become larger, richer and more successful based upon a variety of factors but a big one is their history. History is about winning things, no one ever decided to support a club because they came 14th in the PL. A sensible balance clearly needs to be struck but if we enter something we should try and win it or whats the point?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Wasn’t it wba or stoke last season that came out and said they were bored of the same old season of just surviving ? It’s a tough one , we were all on board last season and most will b this season , but already cracks are starting to appear in fans opinion about cup runs .Im sure Tony is just happy to get as much of his money back as possible by just surviving which is fair enough seeing as it’s his money but trying to keep the fans happy will be the tougher one , for me I’m just happy with 17th this season but not next. Think our squad is still a season or a couple of transfer windows away to have a go in the cup as showed last night not enough strength in depth when a couple on injuries appear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoever it was clearly did something about it....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here