Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] How to make the Carabao Cup more exciting

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
The competition needs new rules.

1. Rotating keepers. Every player has to take a turn in goal.
2. Scores start at 10-10. Every time the ball is played back to the keeper a goal is chalked off.
3. Powerplay. For 10 minutes, one team can play with 12 players.
4. A penalty for every free kick inside the opposition half. No messing. If you take a player down its a penalty.
5. Penalties. Similar to Hockey, this now features one attacking player, one defender and the keeper. The ball is placed on the centre spot and it is up to the attacking player to beat both players to score
6. In the last 10 minutes of a game, no player (including the keeper) is allowed in the six-yard box.
7. No team is allowed to play 4 players at the back. A man 3 defence is the only format allowed.
8. Add your own
9. Etc.
10. Etc.

After last night's bore-fest, it's the only way.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The competition needs new rules.

1. Rotating keepers. Every player has to take a turn in goal.
2. Scores start at 10-10. Every time the ball is played back to the keeper a goal is chalked off.
3. Powerplay. For 10 minutes, one team can play with 12 players.
4. A penalty for every free kick inside the opposition half. No messing. If you take a player down its a penalty.
5. Penalties. Similar to Hockey, this now features one attacking player, one defender and the keeper. The ball is placed on the centre spot and it is up to the attacking player to beat both players to score
6. In the last 10 minutes of a game, no player (including the keeper) is allowed in the six-yard box.
7. No team is allowed to play 4 players at the back. A man 3 defence is the only format allowed.
8. Add your own
9. Etc.
10. Etc.

After last night's bore-fest, it's the only way.

I like it.

A question on point 3 - how is it determined which one team gets to play with 12 players? (I know)

9. If a player stays down after being tackled for more than 10 seconds they are red-carded. The ref stands over them counting them out - like boxing.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I like it.

A question on point 3 - how is it determined which one team gets to play with 12 players? (I know)

9. If a player stays down after being tackled for more than 10 seconds they are red-carded.

On point 3, both teams choose their powerplay time with the ref before the start of the game. Teams can't be in powerplay mode at the same time.

Rule 9. Agree. And they should be forced to crawl from the pitch on all fours (unless it is a head injury)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Before every free kick the taker has to spin around 20 times before taking his run up.

Three random times each half a horn is sounded and nobody is allowed in either penalty area for 4 minutes.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
8. That lovely lady lino should perform some rhythmic gymnastics with a ribbon and ball every 5 mins.

As long as Andre Mariner has to do the same, I see no reason why the game should not include some sort of ref performance at half-time. However, I would not list this as a rule.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Before every free kick the taker has to spin around 20 times before taking his run up

:lol:

One of the groundsmen comes on with his long-handled fork for the player to hold and run around.

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Rule 10. At half time, sneak in and change the refs foam spray can for a portion of chips, then watch whilst he gets inundated by seagulls, as he marks out free kicks!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Every team must field at least one woman.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I like the 'Power Play' idea. Opposition not allowed more than four in their own half.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Like the Red Bull Soap Box races, have extra points for pre match team performance - so a 30 second variety performance.

Agreed about point 5 Penalties - always thought that would be a good idea.

If a team gets a penalty, they can either take the kick, or nominate an opposition player to leave the field for the rest of the game.

Play with 2 balls.

Pre match lottery - the winning fan on each side gets to play the last 10 minutes.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
I know this thread is tongue in cheek but in all seriousness why isn't this competition seeded with the lower sides playing at home? Makes the start of the DFB Pokal interesting.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
The thing is although we all think its a bit of a waist of time, the bigger clubs do take it seriously as they dominate the last 10 + years winners , silverware is silverware, and lets face it we would love some of that !

2018 Manchester City
2017 Manchester United
2016 Manchester City
2015 Chelsea FC
2014 Manchester City
2013 Swansea City
2012 Liverpool FC
2011 Birmingham City
2010 Manchester United
2009 Manchester United
2008 Tottenham Hotspur
2007 Chelsea FC