Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Thank you TB, PB and CH. I think I'm going insane!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
We are a club that are just embarking on our sixth season in the top flight of English football. We are also a club that has been to the brink of extinction. Honestly, why would you EVER go to a 2nd round League Cup game expecting anything other than what happened against Southampton. We already have some key players out of the first team. Why on earth would we risk our PL status on this competition?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
[Guy Fawkes;] A remedy / solution would be to minimise the gap in incomes between the 2 leagues as much as possible so that the probability of relegation and massive change in income wasn't such a factor in decision making when a manager is looking at every edge in order to try to achieve their, and the clubs goal (usually survival or promotion depending on which league they are in to start with)[end]

......ain't ever going to happen.
The PL was set up to strengthen and consolidate the position of the elite clubs in this country and has achieved that aim. The PL wants a massive chasm between them and the Championship. It is by design. They don't want a levelling of the playing field.

Agreed, but if the Championship is something like the 5th most watched league in Europe (and maybe even further afield) so if it was the top flight in any other country, there would be a demand to watch games, which means potential large TV deals and higher income than present, however the PL puts an end to it. (if it were to increase, then all it does is move the issue down to between the Championship and DIv 1 and the huge difference in income faced there.)

The PL is what it is, and generates the far higher incomes for clubs than the Championship could ever, so fans have to accept that the priority will always be the league for virtually all teams in the PL or Championship and securing their share of that money, meaning weakened teams in the cup as a result as they all play the percentages.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We are a club that are just embarking on our sixth season in the top flight of English football. We are also a club that has been to the brink of extinction. Honestly, why would you EVER go to a 2nd round League Cup game expecting anything other than what happened against Southampton. We already have some key players out of the first team. Why on earth would we risk our PL status on this competition?

I think the point I was making has completely gone over your head!

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
We really had no desire to go through. If we could limp over with what we started with - great. If not so be it. Imagine the uproar if we had gone for it and brought Murray (not that he was on the bench) or Knockaert on and either one broke a leg. We have always treated these games as unimportant . To be expect anything different is particularly daft.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We really had no desire to go through. If we could limp over with what we started with - great. If not so be it. Imagine the uproar if we had gone for it and brought Murray (not that he was on the bench) or Knockaert on and either one broke a leg. We have always treated these games as unimportant . To be expect anything different is particularly daft.

:facepalm:

What if we they broke their legs in a game against Liverpoool which we, on paper, were not expected to win, and couldn't play against Fulham in a game we expect to win!!!! Absolutely daft to make comments about not playing players in case they break their leg (although I guess you mean any serious injury). Think the last Brighton player to break their leg was Ryan Jnr but am prepared to be corrected on that.

If you read my posts, I'm not complaining about the players selected but why was Connolly bought on after they scored and in 90th minute. What was the point. Why not give him 20 minutes to make his mark.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
:facepalm:

What if we they broke their legs in a game against Liverpoool which we, on paper, were not expected to win, and couldn't play against Fulham in a game we expect to win!!!! Absolutely daft to make comments about not playing players in case they break their leg (although I guess you mean any serious injury). Think the last Brighton player to break their leg was Ryan Jnr but am prepared to be corrected on that.

If you read my posts, I'm not complaining about the players selected but why was Connolly bought on after they scored and in 90th minute. What was the point. Why not give him 20 minutes to make his mark.

Didn’t Gary Hart break his leg away at Peterborough? 2000/01 season I think. Your point would still stand though it was almost twenty years ago.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You say that would you wait until the 86th minute with the scores level before making a sub. Lets' be honest, there was no indication that anyone was coming on until after they scored! As for CH, think we all know that he is a very cautious manager which, in a league season of 38 games, is not necessarily a bad thing but maybe you need to consider a different approach to knockout competitions?

Propper had already replaced Gross just after the hour.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Propper had already replaced Gross just after the hour.

So perhaps you can run through how that substitution was going to increase our chances of winning the game as opposed to giving two first team regulars a rest before the important fixture against Fulham. We take of a player (albeit playing in an unfamiliar position) who has had a hand in more goals than anyone else in the team and replace him with someone who has yet to score for us!

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I have left this thread alone for 24 hours or so.. I was very disgruntled at the end of the game, and I did feel a little "cheated" - the OP feels the same. I am very supportive of the Club's approach to things normally so a little time to digest and reflect might help me change my view. If I don't need the loyalty points, I will seriously reconsider going next year - and I hate feeling that way. The most surprising thing for me was the size of the crowd and the size of the following from Saints - but maybe that just shows this competition is more important to them - they may feel that they will be safe again this season with the depth of squad they have and can gamble a little more. Their recent experience of getting to the final maybe generates a little more excitement in the Club. Given their indifferent start maybe Mark Hughes needed to win the game more than CH does. I accept the fact that we will always play a side with players that need minutes etc. and I accept that we wont unnecessarily risk the PL status the Club has worked so hard to achieve. I thought that our Cup sides would be stronger this year given the signings we have made, but a relatively small number f injuries has left us horribly exposed in certain positions. I accept/understand all of this, and bought the ticket/beers etc with this context. BUT, the emotional, competitive part of me is still p****d that Saints made two changes to send a message to everyone that they were going to try to win the game. We didn't. I hated losing it, I hated that we didn't go for it in the last 10 minutes with the game there to be won and another future opportunity for squad players to play minutes (apparently that is "useful") available. It's emotional, not rational.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have left this thread alone for 24 hours or so.. I was very disgruntled at the end of the game, and I did feel a little "cheated" - the OP feels the same. I am very supportive of the Club's approach to things normally so a little time to digest and reflect might help me change my view. If I don't need the loyalty points, I will seriously reconsider going next year - and I hate feeling that way. The most surprising thing for me was the size of the crowd and the size of the following from Saints - but maybe that just shows this competition is more important to them - they may feel that they will be safe again this season with the depth of squad they have and can gamble a little more. Their recent experience of getting to the final maybe generates a little more excitement in the Club. Given their indifferent start maybe Mark Hughes needed to win the game more than CH does. I accept the fact that we will always play a side with players that need minutes etc. and I accept that we wont unnecessarily risk the PL status the Club has worked so hard to achieve. I thought that our Cup sides would be stronger this year given the signings we have made, but a relatively small number f injuries has left us horribly exposed in certain positions. I accept/understand all of this, and bought the ticket/beers etc with this context. BUT, the emotional, competitive part of me is still p****d that Saints made two changes to send a message to everyone that they were going to try to win the game. We didn't. I hated losing it, I hated that we didn't go for it in the last 10 minutes with the game there to be won and another future opportunity for squad players to play minutes (apparently that is "useful") available. It's emotional, not rational.

Exactly.

We all accept you're not going to field your strongest team but what ever 18 players you select you hope that the tactics are aimed at winning. A good cup run would mean more game time for the new arrivals and bringing them up to speed quicker. Wasted opportunity.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
.....Get into Europe ,play in some tinpot competition that starts in mid August.......And then find we are struggling in the league before we are eliminated ....!!A rethink is needed.Trying to chase that last penney !

A couple of games on the piss following the Albion in some Eastern European shithole would for me be the peak of all my supporting years.

Regardless of the impact it caused

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here