Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] ***Player Ratings vs Southampton***

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Can’t see one anywhere.

6 - average

Did okay for 30 mins, but very few players pushed their own cause.

Button - 7 - made some good saves, but nearly a disaster with the air kick....
Collar - 6.5 did okay until Redmond came on, then had no protection.
Suttner - 6
Barclay - 7
Banardo - 7
AJ - 6 - disappointing
Gross - 7 - played deeper and was like a QB dictating play.
Kayal - 7
Bissouma - 8
Gyokores - 6 - started well but faded
Locadia - 5 - little service, tired towards end

Propper 6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Can’t see one anywhere.

6 - average

Button - 7 - made some good saves, but nearly a disaster with the air kick....
Suttner - 6
Barclay - 7
Banardo - 7
AJ - 6 - disappointing
Gross - 7 - played deeper and was like a QB dictating play.
Kayal - 7
Bissouma - 8
Locadia - 5 - little service, tired towards end

Propper 6

Reasonable summary I’d say. Bissouma looks a real find - quick, aggressive, great balance and very skilful. Gyokeres clearly has potential and Bernardo and Kayal also did pretty well. Ali J spent too much time going inside looking for the ball when we needed width.

Button has a calamity a game in him on that showing. Will be deeply nervous if he starts a proper game. He also did one awful pass out.

Decent opportunity to look at a few players, would have been nice to win and beat a collectively much more experienced team, but really not bothered.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I’d agree except I actually would give Locadia a 6 and Gyokores a 5. He had a bit of a shocker and I rate him highly.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Button - 5 - made some good saves, but nearly a disaster with the air kick and another direct pass to their attacker, worried about January
Collar - 6
Suttner - 4 - he does not make the grade, Scheletto is better IMHO
Barclay - 6
Banardo - 8 looked good
AJ - 5 - if you are a winger go wide, not sure he knew what he was doing
Gross - 7
Kayal - 8
Bissouma - 8 - this player will be a star by December
Gyokores - 7 - not bad but needs to be more decisive
Locadia - 6 - project in the making

theboybilly

Button 5
Collar 6
Suttner 6
Barclay 7
Bernado 6
AJ 6
Gross 7
Kayal 6
Bissouma 8
Gyokores 7
Locardia 5

Propper 6

All the u23 players did well on their first team debuts where it was only the introduction of Saint's big guns that really showed the difference. Lots of positives - Bissouma is a star in the making - but the jury is still out on Locadia as I'm not seeing a player completely buying into our way of play like Izquierdo, Gross, Propper and recently Bolungan and Bissouma have.
Button looked awful in the second period - it was pantomime

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Button has a calamity a game in him on that showing. Will be deeply nervous if he starts a proper game. He also did one awful pass out.

You are so right. Regardless of what the Sunderland fans say I prefer Steele.

Definitely feels a downgrade on Krull and Maenppa.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Button - 5 - Unconvincing with the ball at his feet, Made one or two regulation stops. Thought he should have stopped the goal having got something on it
Collar - 6 - No significant errors, but didn't shine either. He'll learn a lot from this.
Suttner - 5 - Would have liked to have seen more from an experienced player. Didn't deliver into the box once which is supposed to be his strength
Barclay - 6 - Mostly tidy, but hoofed it a bit too much at the end
Bernado - 7 - There's a player in there. Not a centre back though
AJ - 5 - Poor full debut - never even looked like beating a man or delivering a cross
Gross - 6 - Almost playing alongside the CB's at times, must have been told to collect the ball from the inexperienced defenders rather than let them find the forward balls. He's better is his usual role though
Kayal - 6 - He still has a part to play. Positive and progressive. Looked a bit short of match sharpness
Bissouma - 8 - Always positive and looking to go forward. Finds a way to get round people. I don't doubt he will frustrate occasionally, but he has a huge future.
Gyokores - 5 - Needs to go on the outside sometimes if he's playing on the left . Not sure he wouldn't have been better as the main striker
Locadia - 4 - Some lethargic half attempts at closing down. Held it up OK occasionally. Blatantly can't play the lone striker role. He's probably best deployed in Gross's usual position
Propper 4 - Stop buggering round in the box Davy. It doesn't become you

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Can’t see one anywhere.

6 - average

Button - 7 - confident, commanding, made some easy saves, but nearly a disaster with the deliberate air kick.... ;-)
Suttner - 6
Barclay - 7
Banardo - 7.875
AJ - 3.14123547964- disappointing, hopefully he finds a perfect radius
Gross - 7 - played deeper and was like an attacking midfielder playing through passes from deep defence, to players who didn't know what to do with it, because it arrived where ha should be. . . . . Making the incisive pass to a running striker . . . We don't have!
Kayal - 8 given captains role, worked hard.
Bissouma - 9 best player by far
Locadia - 5 - little anything really

Propper 7

Sent from my underground lair using tappadwarf

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Button - 5 - looked very much a reserve keeper you need to have on the books, but don't want to have to play.
Collar - 7 - stockier than Shiqiri?! Some promising moments although did at times seem very one-footed.
Suttner - 5 - didn't offer much and seems to have dropped off in quality from when I last saw him.
Barclay - 6 - did ok and no big errors but also din't really notice him.
Banardo - 8 - maybe not playing in his best position but I thought he oozed quality and was very composed.
AJ - 6 - disappointing when compared to his price tag. Watched out for him in the World Cup and didn't think he shone then.... and now. Really hoping he is not another Dutch league dud. Very early days and hopefully he is just not ready yet.
Gross - 6 - deep role promised something but didn't deliver, which may have been due more to the players around him rather than his quality.
Kayal - 6 - I'm not sure what he offers nowadays, unless dovetailing with Stephens.
Bissouma - 7 - good at times, poor at others. It worries me how often he loses the ball sloppily ie like the goal at Liverpool. He undoes his own good work. However, I like the fact that he seems a player that will galvanise the others, try something different, offer a spark etc.
Locadia - 6 - tried, sometimes offered some promise, often didn't seem a threat to their defense. Sadly does not look anywhere near a £14 m player. Do hope he can score soon and that confidence returning will enable him to shine. The good game against mighty Coventry seems a long time ago....

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Button 4
Collar 6
Suttner 5
Barclay 5.5
Bernardo 7
AJ 6
Gross 6.5
Kayal 7
Bissouma 8.5 Easiest man of the match ever
Gyokores 6
Locadia 6

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
6 as acceptable

Button 5 Shot stopping ok but kicking woeful .Worrry about him being the cover for Ryan as not as good as either that we let go.
Collar 5 Looked lost but it was his debit.Perhaps we should have played Schelotto but must assume a move is imminent
Barclay 6 Did the simple things correctly.
Bernardo 7 Impressive as a CB,
Sutner 5 showed why he has dropped down the order
Jahanbakhsh 6 Showed promising flashes of his speed and skill but not enough.
Gross 5 Looked lost in CM.
Bissouma 8 Stand out MOM great at driving forward which will benefit us.
Kayal 6 He did his usual to his usual standard which isnt good enough for the Premier.but he is no Stephens.
Gyorkeres 5 Out of his depth but could have won the game for us had he carried out a better header.
Locadia 6 Showed some good touches but was not given sufficient support and service.

Subs

Propper 6 Did what was expected of him when he came on.
Connolly n/a too little too late to make any difference.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
You are so right. Regardless of what the Sunderland fans say I prefer Steele.

Definitely feels a downgrade on Krull and Maenppa.

This is the problem when you have too many foreigners you pack the sub keepers with affordable options and decent HG keepers cost too much. Thank god for the FA cup occupying two weeks in January.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Button - 5 - made some good saves, but nearly a disaster with the air kick and another direct pass to their attacker, worried about January
Collar - 6
Suttner - 4 - he does not make the grade, Scheletto is better IMHO
Barclay - 6
Banardo - 8 looked good
AJ - 5 - if you are a winger go wide, not sure he knew what he was doing
Gross - 7
Kayal - 8
Bissouma - 8 - this player will be a star by December
Gyokores - 7 - not bad but needs to be more decisive
Locadia - 2 - project in the making

Loosely translated as not very good at all. And doesn't like heading the ball apparently.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I think thats a tad unfair on Button.....distribution naff...but shot stopping he actually was very good imho

Not sure about the volleyball style stop, but at least his body was behind it.

Didn’t come for one cross, perhaps nerves?

Just don’t rate him, not based on last night, but every time he’s played us.

Steele on the other hand, always has a blinder.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
This is the problem when you have too many foreigners you pack the sub keepers with affordable options and decent HG keepers cost too much. Thank god for the FA cup occupying two weeks in January.

Fair comment.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I'm not sure it is sensible to rate players after last night. I got the impression that CH would have been happy had we won but that he was much more interested in learning things. so what did he learn?
1. Button - will be solid if unspectacular as Ben Roberts does more work with him
2. Making sure the first team and the U23s play in the same style makes it easier for players to make the transition up. Barclay and Collar weren't really noticeable, and I mean that in a good way. Gyokeres disappointed me a little.
3. Bernardo is good
4. Ali needs to be played to his strengths and not as an imitation Knockaert tasked with cutting inside - Ali is faster and more direct
5. Locadia can't play on his own up front (Murray would have struggled last night with the service Locadia got), but he is strong and has good vision. I don't understand how he has been dismissed so quickly by some
6. Bissouma - signing of the season and cult-hero in the making. He has the potential to be immense. Loved it that after Romeu took him out early in the first half, Bissouma immediately went and got a revenge tackle in.
7. CH encourages and coaches players from the side-line. Hughes just shouts at them and makes it clear that he thinks they have let him down. Hughes is graceless and deeply unpleasant, but i guess we all knew that beforehand. The Carabao Cup matters more to Southampton than it did to Brighton.
8. If you're going to sell 2000 tickets to away supporters keep the North Stand open so we can create some atmosphere. Maybe close ESL instead

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

If Australia go deep in the tournament we could miss Maty for 4 league games, Man Utd and Fulham away, Liverpool and Watford at home. That's two games where we'd be on potential hidings and 2 games we should be looking at picking up points from, it really could be a season defining period for us missing Maty. I said when we let Maenpaa and Krul go I felt we'd weakened our goalkeeping options and last night did nothing to make me change that view.

We can only hope Australia are knocked out in the group stages meaning that Ryan would hopefully be back in time for the Man Utd game.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Button 6

Collar 5
Barclay 6
Bernado 7
Suttner 6

Ali J 6
Kayal 7
Bissouma 8
Gyokeres 7
Gross 6

Locadia 6

I really am not a fan of Gross in centre midfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here