Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Southampton *** Official Match Thread ***

No fishing here, and no going OTT 'we're going down. crap either - but that's 2 out of 4 matches we've been very disappointing this season (and 3 out of 4 we haven't scored either). Today w were playing a very non-first-team back four - two under 23s, a LB at CB and our 3rd.choice LB. They held out though, right through until the very last few minutes. The six in front of them (3 of our big 2018 signings - £40M or so for the three of 'em, plus two regular, experienced first team players) could potentially be our starting front six in a league match if we get a couple of injuries/suspensions, and they didn't score - or get anywhere near it from what I've heard/read.

And that against Southampton, one of the teams we would expect to beat - at home at least - and pretty much must beat if we are to pick up the points we'll need this season. Not going doom and gloom or anything - we've been good in the other two matches, but yes, I am disappointed tonight. And as for all the people saying, yeh, we wanted to lose to go out of this competition ASAP...................................yeh right! I've heard that all before!

That’s about right. Saints nothing special either until they brought on Redmond who is a very fine player indeed

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, I won't admit that.

I went tonight, and enjoyed the game apart from the last 5 mins. Bissouma was a joy to watch, Collar started off nervously but grew into the game, Gyorkes did quite well, Button made some fine saves, but also had a couple of howlers. Locadia wants to wait for the ball to come to him all the time. He has to work harder.
Kayal attacked quite a few times, and AJ had some good moments.
It did seem strange to me to have Groß ion front of the back 4 with Kayal in the hole, but Hughton knows more than me.
Barnardo & Barclay did surprisingly well as a central pairing.

Once Austin came on, he was always going to score, because he always does when he plays against us.

Onwards & upwards.

A fair post - much more positive than many (including me, but I had only SSN and t'internet to go by, as opposed to actually being there). It's increasingly not looking good looking ahead for Locadia though, is it (apart from the fact that he's no doubt doing very nicely financially, thank you)?

Will he come good? Or do we have to hope like hell that Andone turns out to be the new-boy wonder?

dwayne is a WUM, and probably Palace. London Irish is a dick, and probably Palace. Best to just ignore them.

Take your own advice chump

A fair post - much more positive than many (including me, but I had only SSN and t'internet to go by, as opposed to actually being there). It's increasingly not looking good looking ahead for Locadia though, is it (apart from the fact that he's no doubt doing very nicely financially, thank you)?

Will he come good? Or do we have to hope like hell that Andone turns out to be the new-boy wonder?

I think it could be time to start to worry about Locadia, who doesn’t seem a fit for Hughton’s systems. Don’t know if he’ll get many better opportunities than tonight. Might be up to Andone now to keep Murray on the toes

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Good on you, harder/braver than me, gave mine up in 2005 under Magoo. 4 games in a season, not being able to give tickets away and nodding off when I did go was the last straw!.

The Albion buzz seems to be Rubbing off though, local kids have switched shirts from franchises like it's 1980. Long may it continue.

My eldest son is 15 and a season ticket holder and we've been going together for quite a few years now, he was more happy about the 15pts he got for £6. My 14 year old daughter done a couple of seasons but she is more into her dance and drama so gave up her ticket so I've been there done that so to speak, not that's it's a competition.

I mearly speaking from the perspective of younger kids "getting the Albion buzz" and wanting to return.

I will agree on your last two paragraph tho, not Hove, Eastbourne. [emoji106]

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
North often gets a bad rap for not making enough noise...good excuse tonight

DSCF2637.jpg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No, I won't admit that.

I went tonight, and enjoyed the game apart from the last 5 mins. Bissouma was a joy to watch, Collar started off nervously but grew into the game, Gyorkes did quite well, Button made some fine saves, but also had a couple of howlers. Locadia wants to wait for the ball to come to him all the time. He has to work harder.
It did seem strange to me to have Groß ion front of the back 4 with Kayal in the hole, but Hughton knows more than me.

Once Austin came on, he was always going to score, because he always does when he plays against us.

Onwards & upwards.

With you all the way

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
For whatever reason Southampton genuinely wanted to win that game. We didn’t, just like we haven’t been interested in any cup games since Hughton arrived. I’ve no problem with that, the Haribo Cup in particular is a complete waste of time. Southampton had seven players in their line up who have been PL regulars at some point, we had just Gross. The difference in experience was clear from the start and when I saw the team sheets I thought Southampton would win fairly easily. The fact we made a game of it was respectable enough. Let’s be honest, we are the real winners tonight knowing that we haven’t got any more pointless fixtures coming in this competition.

The only thing that is slightly frustrating is that Hughton doesn’t just admit he wants us knocked out ASAP so at least people turn up to watch knowing what to expect.

I agree with you up to a point. Last year Hughton did exactly the same thing in the League cup against Barnet & away to Bournemouth so I'm not sure why anyone was surprised by the line up.
He takes the FA cup seriously and we got to the last 16.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
No, I won't admit that.

Onwards & upwards.

Agreed. Stains' outfield 10 was packed with Premier League experience while we had three players making their debuts, a scratch back four and an unfamiliar midfield formation - which was in itself interesting given how conservative CH is always accused of being. Gyokeres ran at them, Bissouma is a ridiculously exciting prospect and I thought Bernardo did well after his poor display at Watford. Locadia continues to puzzle and frustrate, but you can't win 'em all.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Never mind. Now we can concentrate on the league. It's not as if we've never won anything.

Brighton and Hove Albion - 1910 Charity Shield Winners

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Despite the result I enjoyed the match, as it was a good opportunity to see some of our prospects. Without question Bissouma needs to be in the first team. Pretty much everything good that we did flowed through him at some point. Gyokeres had his moments. Button looked solid until his late slip and he seemed a little spooked from then on. Kayal still has plenty to offer. I think Jahanbakhsh still has work to do to be up to Premier League pace. He made some nice passes (especially the little chip to set Bissouma free down the right) but he gave the ball away cheaply too often. Chris knows what he's doing though, bringing new recruits in gradually when he feels it's appropriate. Who am I to argue?

I can live with an early Carabao Cup exit. Who cares? I do still care about the FA Cup though so hope we make a bit more of an effort when that comes around.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I was disappointed with what was a generally poor match between 2 poor sides. Our stand out players were Bissouma and Bernaqrdo The rest just made up the numbers.

The one plus point is the longer they are in the cup the longer they will keep Hughes as ,manager and he will take them down to the Championship.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Disappointing result but I'm more interested in performances(although another game or two in the competition would have been quite handy).

I'm very happy that three of the U-23's got the chance to start. How did they do? Are they viable options in the future or do they need more time?

Pleased to hear Bernardo played better than at Watford.

Delighted that Bissouma put on another excellent performer. He's shaping up to be a very decent signing. Did he play central midfield with Kayal or as a number 10 with Gross in midfield? How did the two play together? They could be vital for our ability to unlock defences so if we can get them both on the pitch at the same time and working well that would go a long way to improving our lack of goals.

Sounds like Ali J needs a bit more time to get fully up to speed.

Frustrated to hear Locadia was unimpressive. I was hoping for a decent performance after the positive reviews he got of his substitute appearance at Anfield. Sounds like Murray's place in the team currently isn't under serious threat.

Incidentally the BBC match report says that Southampton were runners up last year. Is that true? I have no recollection of the final at all. Who were/are the champions?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Id love to know how you came to the conclusion that it's becoming clear we have the 3rd worst squad in the league?
Ok apart from Cardiff and Huddersfield name a worse squad. No shame in it, we are doing things slow and steady but we still have a long way to go. And we are clearly still a fair bit behind saints who have a second 11 packed with experience at the top level.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Ok apart from Cardiff and Huddersfield name a worse squad. No shame in it, we are doing things slow and steady but we still have a long way to go. And we are clearly still a fair bit behind saints who have a second 11 packed with experience at the top level.

The same Saints side we finished higher in the table last season? Dwayne have a day off from fishing son.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The same Saints side we finished higher in the table last season? Dwayne have a day off from fishing son.
We got lucky with injuries

This season we have a couple of centre backs out and we are playing right backs out of position. We don't seem to have a full 25 squad and are chucking in youth already.

Strong first 11 , mind

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Somebody called this a pointless fixture. I disagree. As a Premier League club we should see it as an opportunity for glory and riches..

I was choked when we lost it so late.

When is our first match in the FA cup?

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
We don't need ANY distractions.

The ressies can stay fit playing Vs the under 23s......less headaches, travel, and drama for Hughton and the coaching staff.

Hope we go out early in the FA cup too.

Sad to say all this - but it's the current reality.

In a couple of seasons when we know "we are safe-ish in the premier league" (if that is ever possible) - we can really go for a cup run - but we are not in that position yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here