Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia today

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Only one that could have a slight mark by his name today is Propper imo but he as credit in the bank for the performance against Man Utd.

It was funny when Milner got done 3 times in about 5 minutes, nearly felt sorry for him. Not sure if we got booked for any of them either?

Balogun did.......bloody brilliant crunching though

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Me too. He's been hit with a "lazy" sterotype which I can only presume is down to being Dutch and not being Murray but he put himself about when he came on and could be a real asset. A few more performances like that and Hughton will have even more of a dilema around our attacking options.

No, it's down to actually down to him failing to press and failing to back track multiple times last season when he made some appearances, either up front or out wide. At the time he didn't look like a Chris Hughton sort of player at all.

Hopefully Chris has sorted him out over pre-season and made sure he's aware of his duties for the team. I didn't see any of the Liverpool game so I can't comment.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Not sure where this myth has come
From of him not caring, just because he has a passion for DJing.

He needs to start more. We will never score an away goal again in the prem starting Murray and gross together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Made one superb run in behind vjd just got to the ball first otherwise he was in

He was also pulled back when he broke the line with a really clever run and would have had a run on goal if not for the foul on him. I was impressed with what I saw but then I have been a fan most times I’ve seen him play and look forward to seeing much more of him now.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Only one that could have a slight mark by his name today is Propper imo but he as credit in the bank for the performance against Man Utd.

It was funny when Milner got done 3 times in about 5 minutes, nearly felt sorry for him. Not sure if we got booked for any of them either?

I agree re Propper, at times he is really careless with the ball, but as you say he was brilliant versus Utd.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
He was also pulled back when he broke the line with a really clever run and would have had a run on goal if not for the foul on him. I was impressed with what I saw but then I have been a fan most times I’ve seen him play and look forward to seeing much more of him now.

Yes, me too. Far too many people writing him off, his movement is very good and quite underrated.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Agree. He's taken a lot of flack because he is not Murray. When he has come on the team to carry on playing as if Murray was still up top but Locadia is a different player. Alexander took one for the team in pulling him back.

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
No, it's down to actually down to him failing to press and failing to back track multiple times last season when he made some appearances, either up front or out wide. At the time he didn't look like a Chris Hughton sort of player at all.

Hopefully Chris has sorted him out over pre-season and made sure he's aware of his duties for the team. I didn't see any of the Liverpool game so I can't comment.

Hughton said at the fans forum that Locadia had taken time to settle into English football and had found last season difficult. He said that he was more settled now and was looking sharp. This is what I saw yesterday - a sharper player who worked back when needed.
Think he will be a real asset as the season goes on as we will be able to play balls into space to run onto which isn't an option for Murray.
Would like to see him upfront at times rather than out wide but I'm sure we will at some point - unless of course Murray has an unbelievable run of form which makes him undroppable - and that works for me too!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Milner could have little complaint. He took out Montoya and Bissouma with pretty cynical tackles, himself.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Thought Locadia looked very good when he came on - the problem is though that I think he's happier as an out and out striker rather than as a winger.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

He arrived injured and from playing in a league that’s about as good as the Monkey Tennis. I just don’t think he had the fitness to play like that. CH has said fitness and strength were points worked on in the summer. Also not really on to judge a player on three or four games.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
He arrived injured and from playing in a league that’s about as good as the Monkey Tennis. I just don’t think he had the fitness to play like that. CH has said fitness and strength were points worked on in the summer. Also not really on to judge a player on three or four games.

I think you have a point about the fitness issue. But he also wasn't tracking back when he came on as a sub. Simple things like when out wide, letting his man make a unopposed run after an attack fizzled out. That wouldn't be accepted from AK, JI or SM. That's not down to fitness - that's down to mindset and not understanding the extent of what he is required to put in for the team.

Thankfully these sorts of things can be worked on, although last season he didn't look particularly fast either (to me, it seems not everyone agrees). He does need a full season to be judged on, but my early instincts weren't good, unlike with other players we have brought in where you could see the quality immediately even if they weren't quite up to speed. But you're right his mitigating factors do have to be taken into account. We seem to have a pretty good record in the transfer market in recent times, so with his improved fitness + presumably improved understanding of what's required, I hope my original instincts are proved incorrect. But it wasn't down to some sort of lazy Dutch stereotype, it was down to what I saw on the pitch, which is all I can comment on.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Good that DJ Locadia's getting a bit of an easy ride on here today. Even better was the easier ride he got v ManU a week ago when he just stopped running when clean through on the left despite the lack of flag or whistle. Sorry, but needs to start earning his pay with some positive contributions to the points total sometime soon. Please don't shoot the messenger, not that the messenger gives a shit, because it'll be NSC herd wisdom six months down the line from now. Looking very much like yet another Dutch dud at the moment. And no we haven't seen very much of him But the manager has, and that's what counts.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Good that DJ Locadia's getting a bit of an easy ride on here today. Even better was the easier ride he got v ManU a week ago when he just stopped running when clean through on the left despite the lack of flag or whistle. Sorry, but needs to start earning his pay with some positive contributions to the points total sometime soon. Please don't shoot the messenger, not that the messenger gives a shit, because it'll be NSC herd wisdom six months down the line from now.

Are you talking about the moment when he was clearly offside and everyone knew a flag and whistle would go if he made a move for the ball? Or have I confused that with another moment?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here