Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liverpool vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
[yt]j3mcueDb6ng[/yt]

If you want to see what happens to teams who press high up the pitch against Liverpool, have a look at the Roma game from last season.

Not sure posting a clip of 5 goals proves anything! Don't believe we played a high pressing game in the matches last year yet we conceded 9 goals.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not sure posting a clip of 5 goals proves anything! Don't believe we played a high pressing game in the matches last year yet we conceded 9 goals.

We just didn't compete and got outplayed both times last season, we were in awe of them. That wasn't the case yesterday.

The point is, playing a high line against a team with the pace of Liverpool is suicide. The simplest ball over the top or through the middle will have you BANG in trouble with the pace of Mane, Salah and the craft of Ferminho. It doesn't even need to be a particularly good ball, and it brought to mind that Roma game last season when their defenders were inexplicably pushed up to the halfway line. Liverpool were in behind them multiple times, not just for the goals.

Yesterday we got the balance right, stayed in the game and almost nicked a point. Hughton got it spot on, other than (in hindsight) maybe leaving the changes a little too late, as all 3 subs came on and caused all kinds of new problems for them.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Saw last 60 mins of it on TV in Copenhagen. We played so different my to last years away team it does look like CH has changed the style into something which is more suitable for the PL. Balogun has now written himself into folklore with that tackle. I know people will disagree but from what I saw Liverpool were much more physical than us but changed a bit after that. Needed Gross to score, not just for the point but to give him a confidence boost.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Saw last 60 mins of it on TV in Copenhagen. We played so different my to last years away team it does look like CH has changed the style into something which is more suitable for the PL. Balogun has now written himself into folklore with that tackle. I know people will disagree but from what I saw Liverpool were much more physical than us but changed a bit after that. Needed Gross to score, not just for the point but to give him a confidence boost.

Yeah, we were certainly more robust this year. As we walked past the main stand after the game yesterday we heard a scouser comment to his mate that we weren't soft like last year. Liverpool aren't afraid of 'robust' challenges and neither should we be.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I find your average plastic Liverpool fan (non local, non STH) worse than the plastic Man Utd fans.
I think it's because they're not perceived to be a nasty club like Utd is, it give them an extra sense of entitlement. Add that to their adopted victim mentality and you end up with a complete **** of a personality.
At least the plastic Utd fans seem to know and accept that everyone else hates them.

All the "plastic" (your words) Liverpool fans I spoke to yesterday (Isle of Man, Basingstoke, Dublin, Derry) and locals were very friendly and were complimentary about Albion. The only pain in the 4rse person I encountered was a coked-up Brighton fan who nearly started a fight on the bus away from Anfield.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Just back from the game :) Solid rain all the way home.........anyway, thought the boys played magnificently. We were in the game all until the end, which is unlike last season. Team have to (and will) take some encouragement from that. First half was a little scary at times, the pace at which Salah moved. Saw him lose Bong, and Balogun in one move. Second half was an immense performance to come back into it. Bissouma played well apart from the error. Great save from Matty. Locadia look good - lots of positives.

RedDaniel

Dec 2, 2017
I last posted on here when we (Liverpool) played you at the Amex in the league cup and I'd spent a few days with an old mate down there and drunk a lot of ale. Think we won 2-0 or 2-1. Kuyt and Bellamy scored for us.
Anyway, I came away from that trip away hoping you'd get up to the Premier League and was made up when you did. There aren't many more likeable blokes than Chris Hughton managing at the moment (other than Jurgen obviously!) and he's got you lot set up brilliantly. If I was a neutral I'd have said a draw would have been deserved yesterday but I'm not so I can't!
Genuinely think you could challenge for a Europa spot this year.
I don't get to many away games anymore due to becoming a father a few years ago and money needs prioritising but I've got Brighton pencilled in for later in the season. Best of luck with everything and thanks for beating the Mancs .

Daniel

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Me too as a very fresh faced 11 yr old. Amazing scenes to witness.

The Kop applauding us off for the spirited comeback, Jonny Crumplin football genius. Small and Byrne - a proper CF pairing. Marvellous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bellowing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' at the Kop after Byrne's goal will always be a fond memory.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
All the "plastic" (your words) Liverpool fans I spoke to yesterday (Isle of Man, Basingstoke, Dublin, Derry) and locals were very friendly and were complimentary about Albion. The only pain in the 4rse person I encountered was a coked-up Brighton fan who nearly started a fight on the bus away from Anfield.

I'm talking about the people who live in Sussex/Surrey and don't go to games.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Is it coincidence that the play and results seem to have improved since Paul Trollope signed?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Well CH just said on MOTD, when asked kind of the same question, that we would have paid a price. Leaving it too late to make that second half push.

I think that’s fair. I mean he could’ve made changes 10 minutes earlier, but the idea that we should’ve gone after them from the off is ludicrous.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Is it coincidence that the play and results seem to have improved since Paul Trollope signed?

Not sure but remember the classic NSC in full on panic mode when Calderwood ran off to Villa? He was the real genius behind Hughton, or so said most of NSC at the time... that turned out well.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Groß has only scored at the Amex so far. He needs an away goal.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
No he didn't. Bissouma had been taking those little balls with his back to goal all game. He just miscontrolled it, pure and simple.

No worries, he'll learn from it. It was.just unfortunate that the mistake was so ruthlessly punished.

Oh, looks like Hughton agrees with me.

Completely shocking by balogun twice not following manager orders.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here