Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Pascal Gross' goal celebrations - or lack of

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Firslty, what 'potential' rule are you referring to? Also, one still of Trippier turning doesn't mean he instructed to wait in the oppo half. Looks more like in that photo that he is turning to celebrate with the bench.

I am referring to Law 8 and in particular these two clauses;

• all players, except the player taking the kick-off, must be in their own half
of the field of play
• a goal may be scored directly against the opponents from the kick-off

It was pretty well documented throughout the world cup, and that Trippier photo comes from an article directly referencing this (https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/world-cup-rule-that-made-trippier-celebrate-without-his-england-team-mates-pht6wp669 or https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/06/19/world-cup-celebration-rules-player-still-pitch-prevents-quick-kick), that there was serious confusion as to the nuances of the Kick-Off Law.

Personally, and the reason I stated in the brackets that I don't think it exists, I think that the law clearly states that opponents have to be in their own half rather than not in the opposition half so players doing this is silly.

However, if you look at the footage of Murray's winner at Birmingham, Norwood's lack of celebration clearly stops Birmingham from taking a quick kick off and scoring (as our players famously ran into our own half to celebrate) so making sure that we have a player who "takes one for the team" and stands in the opposition half, preventing the game from restarting, is clearly something that is a conscious decision made by the coaching staff. Better safe than sorry.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He is an absolute legend.

However, he did look incredibly nervous before he took the penalty and then it wasn't exactly the most convincing penalty you'll ever see which worries me a little going forward. Who's the next cab on the rank? I can imagine Bissouma would be an excellent penalty taker.

He's German. Sunday night he will have calmly and carefully analysed the whole sequence from start to finish, calculated where the nerves started and why, and worked out a detailed plan for the next one, which he will then have practiced at least 100 times on Monday until he's got it perfect.

Failing that, Toner Hemed.

Oh.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

However, he did look incredibly nervous before he took the penalty and then it wasn't exactly the most convincing penalty you'll ever see which worries me a little going forward. Who's the next cab on the rank? I can imagine Bissouma would be an excellent penalty taker.

It might have something to do with the ref making him wait about five minutes to take the damn thing! But no, not a good pen and he got away with it. He seemed to change his mind on it for some reason during the run-up...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

of the field of play

It was pretty well documented throughout the world cup, and that Trippier photo comes from an article directly referencing this (https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/world-cup-rule-that-made-trippier-celebrate-without-his-england-team-mates-pht6wp669 or https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/06/19/world-cup-celebration-rules-player-still-pitch-prevents-quick-kick), that there was serious confusion as to the nuances of the Kick-Off Law.

Personally, and the reason I stated in the brackets that I don't think it exists, I think that the law clearly states that opponents have to be in their own half rather than not in the opposition half so players doing this is silly.

However, if you look at the footage of Murray's winner at Birmingham, Norwood's lack of celebration clearly stops Birmingham from taking a quick kick off and scoring (as our players famously ran into our own half to celebrate) so making sure that we have a player who "takes one for the team" and stands in the opposition half, preventing the game from restarting, is clearly something that is a conscious decision made by the coaching staff. Better safe than sorry.

The rule is that all players must be in their own half, ie both teams, except for one. Problem solved if your team come back to their own half and celebrate over the touchline, ie they are not then in their own half as they are not on the pitch!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You didn't notice him walking away with a limp? Looked to me like he felt his hamstring twinge.

Are you saying he may never play again.

There just aren't enough beds in the Sam Baldock Memorial Treatment Centre.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
It might have something to do with the ref making him wait about five minutes to take the damn thing! But no, not a good pen and he got away with it. He seemed to change his mind on it for some reason during the run-up...

Personally, I thought it was more to do with the fact that he got up from the tackle grimacing, and didn't look entirely comfortable (physically) throughout his wait to take the penalty. Whatever...…. he scored, just, and celebrated appropriately!!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

of the field of play

I remember reading about that during the World Cup, and it came across as press-fabricated nonsense. As you say, the Law is crystal clear - "all players, except the player taking the kick off, must be in their own half of the field of play".

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK

However, he did look incredibly nervous before he took the penalty and then it wasn't exactly the most convincing penalty you'll ever see which worries me a little going forward.

Oh I dunno. He didn't have a great game and I felt the pen summed that up. I did wonder why he took it and not Murray?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh I dunno. He didn't have a great game and I felt the pen summed that up. I did wonder why he took it and not Murray?

Because Gross is the team's nominated penalty taker.
Taking over the job after Murray missed his second of the season.
So far, Groß has a 100% record from penalties, gotta wonder why that isn't good enough?

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

The length of time Friend dragged out the penalty was a joke. He added to the huge pressure. Noticed there penalty was nowhere near the delay Gross had to endure

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Taking over the job after Murray missed his second of the season.
So far, Groß has a 100% record from penalties, gotta wonder why that isn't good enough?

Never said it wasn't good enough, just wondered why he looked quite so nervous and then took a slightly poor penalty, albeit one that did creep in. It was something picked up on by the wider audience, not just Brighton fans. Obviously he will carry on taking them until he does miss a few like Murray but no harm in asking who would be next in that eventuality or if Gross is off the pitch as he is usually substituted when he has run himself ragged.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Never said it wasn't good enough, just wondered why he looked quite so nervous and then took a slightly poor penalty, albeit one that did creep in. It was something picked up on by the wider audience, not just Brighton fans. Obviously he will carry on taking them until he does miss a few like Murray but no harm in asking who would be next in that eventuality or if Gross is off the pitch as he is usually substituted when he has run himself ragged.

2 out of 2 so far. Not the greatest penalty but why a negative post ? Deary me. Some people amaze me.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The length of time Friend dragged out the penalty was a joke. He added to the huge pressure. Noticed there penalty was nowhere near the delay Gross had to endure

Partly because there was only about 20 seconds left and KF knew his post-match pint was being poured

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
2 out of 2 so far. Not the greatest penalty but why a negative post ? Deary me. Some people amaze me.

It's not meant to be negative, just constructive!! I don't see the harm in debating who the next penalty taker would be in the event Gross isn't on the pitch or not taking them anymore. It's a minor discussion point, not a criticism, in response to how nervous he seemed taking the penalty as noticed by most people who watched it.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's not meant to be negative, just constructive!! I don't see the harm in debating who the next penalty taker would be in the event Gross isn't on the pitch or not taking them anymore. It's a minor discussion point, not a criticism, in response to how nervous he seemed taking the penalty as noticed by most people who watched it.

I believe the pecking order is Gross - Murray - Stephens.

And if none of them are on the pitch, our chances of being awarded a penalty in the first place are virtually nil anyway.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here