Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sussex police breach FOI act...

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
...after Crystal Palace fans take action

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/22/sussex-police-breach-foi-crystal-palace-fans

excerpt: Sussex police breached the Freedom of Information Act and have been issued with a decision notice by the Information Commissioner’s Office after failing to explain why they had alleged Crystal Palace supporters were armed with “knives and knuckle-dusters” at the game against Brighton last November.

Regarding last season's game against Palace at the Amex. I'm not sure what the article means by a "decision notice" - is that the equivalent of a final warning? What are the implications of this decision? Beats me why the police would think it sensible to make up such a statement in the first place. Out-and-out lies, or a genuine mistake perhaps.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
...after Crystal Palace fans take action

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/22/sussex-police-breach-foi-crystal-palace-fans

excerpt: Sussex police breached the Freedom of Information Act and have been issued with a decision notice by the Information Commissioner’s Office after failing to explain why they had alleged Crystal Palace supporters were armed with “knives and knuckle-dusters” at the game against Brighton last November.

Regarding last season's game against Palace at the Amex. I'm not sure what the article means by a "decision notice" - is that the equivalent of a final warning? What are the implications of this decision? Beats me why the police would think it sensible to make up such a statement in the first place. Out-and-out lies, or a genuine mistake perhaps.

Read the article, it contains the detail you are after

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
What should happen is that Sussex OB get a clip round the ear & told to do their job properly.
Palace should be given more tickets; the maximum allowed. Therefore we should then get our maximum allocation up at that hole.
How this game gets treated like Rangers v Celtic by the authorities is beyond me. I have never seen so many OB as I did at the cup game last year.

Before the game; I don't really have an issue with giving them West Street. The pubs are shIte & not used by home fans, at least I don't believe so.
After the game, KEEP THEM IN THE GROUND until the crowds have gone & then herd them on to the train back to shItville.

It's how they treat us!

Sussex Police must be a bit of a laughing stock among other constabularies after this.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Embarrassing. It defies belief that the police superintendent could issue a BS statement about knives and knuckledusters being recovered, without actually checking the facts. Regardless of the fact it was a match against that filth from up the road, and the abhorrent behaviour of a section of their socially-challenged GOONS that night, Simon Nelson dropped an almighty bollock with his erroneous claptrap in the aftermath. And in doing so, he's only served to drive a bigger wedge between public trust and the perception of the police at these types of games.

Shameful.

el punal

What should happen is that Sussex OB get a clip round the ear & told to do their job properly.
Palace should be given more tickets; the maximum allowed. Therefore we should then get our maximum allocation up at that hole.
How this game gets treated like Rangers v Celtic by the authorities is beyond me. I have never seen so many OB as I did at the cup game last year.

Before the game; I don't really have an issue with giving them West Street. The pubs are shIte & not used by home fans, at least I don't believe so.
After the game, KEEP THEM IN THE GROUND until the crowds have gone & then herd them on to the train back to shItville.

It's how they treat us!

Sussex Police must be a bit of a laughing stock among other constabularies after this.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and how wonderful life would be if we all possessed it.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and how wonderful life would be if we all possessed it.

It’s not hindsight when anyone with half a brain was saying this before the event.

The Old Firm games in Scotland sometimes have 7,000 away fans. 7,000! In a game that is simmering with sectarian hatred and hundreds of years of animosity and violence. The fans are separated by a line or two of stewards.

At Brighton v Palace, a pantomime footballing rivalry that started in the 70s because someone threw some coins on the floor, we are allowed less than a third of that amount of away fans and have to have whole sterile blocks of seats in between the fans.

Sussex police are an absolute joke, and it’s about time they got themselves Premier League Ready and worked out how to put on the 15th biggest derby in English football without completely ruining the spectacle.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Shock horror police lie, try and cover it up and treat the tax payer with blatant disregard.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
It’s not hindsight when anyone with half a brain was saying this before the event.

The Old Firm games in Scotland sometimes have 7,000 away fans. 7,000! In a game that is simmering with sectarian hatred and hundreds of years of animosity and violence. The fans are separated by a line or two of stewards.

At Brighton v Palace, a pantomime footballing rivalry that started in the 70s because someone threw some coins on the floor, we are allowed less than a third of that amount of away fans and have to have whole sterile blocks of seats in between the fans.

Sussex police are an absolute joke, and it’s about time they got themselves Premier League Ready and worked out how to put on the 15th biggest derby in English football without completely ruining the spectacle.

Is it even the 15th biggest ? I would say Palace fans of a certain age would rank Millwall or Charlton as bigger, there was a whole generation that never even saw a Palace V Brighton game. Even though its been whipped up again in recent years but I am sure that if you asked fans on both sides under 40 why there is the "rivalry" most would not know why ?

It was a Allison v Mullery hatred really and I think what ever teams they had managed at the time would of ended up having this Forced rivalry !

As for the Police fibbing...is anyone really shocked or surprised !!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

If it had been an off-the-cuff remark from a constable or sergeant then one could put it down to a mistake and/or miscommunication; Chinese Whispers maybe. But the feller that said it was a Superintendant, a senior rank. His role would not have been "at the coalface" but in a command position gathering information and directing operations. He should not have made any comments to the press about weapons until he had actually seen them himself.
This shows the contempt that many in authority still have for football fans and shows that, in some respects, the police haven't learned a lot from Hillsborough.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Is it even the 15th biggest ? I would say Palace fans of a certain age would rank Millwall or Charlton as bigger, there was a whole generation that never even saw a Palace V Brighton game. Even though its been whipped up again in recent years but I am sure that if you asked fans on both sides under 40 why there is the "rivalry" most would not know why ?

It was a Allison v Mullery hatred really and I think what ever teams they had managed at the time would of ended up having this Forced rivalry !

It probably is at the moment as both clubs are in the top division, but historically speaking, no it probably isn't. Which makes it even more embarrassing that the police get their knickers in such a twist about it.

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
Didn’t Nelson get a promotion on the strength of his handling of the police operation that night?
He would of got away with the lies if it wasn’t for those pesky FYP podcast boys who requested proof of said weapons.
I’m sure Sussex constabulary will weasel their way out of it .

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

It's how they treat us!

Stop putting the game on Tuesday nights, and arrange it for 12:30 on a Sunday. Worked wonderfully on St. Patrick's Day.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
If it had been an off-the-cuff remark from a constable or sergeant then one could put it down to a mistake and/or miscommunication; Chinese Whispers maybe. But the feller that said it was a Superintendant, a senior rank. His role would not have been "at the coalface" but in a command position gathering information and directing operations. He should not have made any comments to the press about weapons until he had actually seen them himself.
This shows the contempt that many in authority still have for football fans and shows that, in some respects, the police haven't learned a lot from Hillsborough.

Spot on :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here