Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Jamie Oliver jerk rice controversy

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is everyone purposefully missing the point? Of course he can do what he wants, but his 'jerk' isn't a jerk at all.

i think that was completely missed when Dawn Butler weighed in politically. Levi seems to have got it about right saying its just not a very good jerk, that should be all that needs to be said.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is everyone purposefully missing the point? Of course he can do what he wants, but his 'jerk' isn't a jerk at all.

Quite. No sure why it took so long for somebody to point that out. Her main point is that what Oliver is selling isn't jerk in any way at all. Its just 'spicy rice'. :shrug:

FWIW the concept of cultural appropriation is mostly utter bullshit, and more often than not it is about the complainant attention seeking, and almost never a case of the 'offender' actually meaning any offence, to the 'wronged' culture.

A famous white girl chooses to put her hair in corn-rows. The absolute HORROR! :eek:

Twats.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
i think your post is what most people would term a load of b*llocks and quite simply trying to wriggle out of the hole youve dug for yourself.

You're even dumber than I thought, apparently.

giphy.gif

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Jamie Oliver must be loving this free publicity.....people getting steamed up over an irrelevance.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Quite. No sure why it took so long for somebody to point that out. Her main point is that what Oliver is selling isn't jerk in any way at all. Its just 'spicy rice'. :shrug:.

Well I already alluded to that straight away when I pointed out the the controversy appears to be about Jamie supposedly taking a concept from another culture and distorting it in order to promote a product. He's apparently appropriated a word/concept/food 'jerk', and distorted it into something that isn't 'jerk' at all.

I also agree that it's nothing to get outraged about.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
You're even dumber than I thought, apparently.

View attachment 99921

great comeback , i think my original description of you seems to be spot on, not.least because of your continued use of tbe word "dumb" in place of stupid , i bet youre a "can i get" merchant arent you ? way to go dude ....

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
dawn butler is outraged (or.claims to be) because hes got jerk rice on the menu but hes not jamaican

So the logic is that I can eat food originating from another country/culture (I am embracing multi-culturalism), but I can't cook it myself (I am resorted to cultural appropriation).

Not sure that I want to be in a world where those are the rules. Seems Ms Butler wants to have her cake and eat it... but only if it's baked by a Jamaican Chef! FFS.

I read this when it first broke and the argument should be than Jamie Oliver is a sh1t chef. "Jerk" is a meat marinade. "Jerk Rice" doesn't mean anything. And on top of that the recipe JO used, I believe, bears no resemblance to the ingredients used in "Jerk". Storm in a teacup at best!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can we just give up with the outraged claims of "cultural appropriation" over every little thing?....We're supposed to be a diverse and inclusive society/world... let's embrace sharing clothes/food/music from elsewhere!

All we are saying
Is give rice and peas a chance

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Quite. No sure why it took so long for somebody to point that out. Her main point is that what Oliver is selling isn't jerk in any way at all. Its just 'spicy rice'. :shrug:

FWIW the concept of cultural appropriation is mostly utter bullshit, and more often than not it is about the complainant attention seeking, and almost never a case of the 'offender' actually meaning any offence, to the 'wronged' culture.

A famous white girl chooses to put her hair in corn-rows. The absolute HORROR! :eek:

Twats.

I’m with you most of the way but I draw the line with white blokes having dreadlocks and/or playing the bongos.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I’m with you most of the way but I draw the line with white blokes having dreadlocks and/or playing the bongos.

Only because they look like knobs though - not because they are offending anyone.

Was George Harrison accused of CA for playing the sitar on a load of Beatles songs?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I see Levi Roots has said that Jamie’s made a mistake. Levi’s real name was Keith Valentine Graham. Isn’t changing it to Levi Roots cultural appropriation?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here