Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Jamie Oliver jerk rice controversy

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
See what really p!$$e$ me off is all these Indian Restaurant's selling Balti Curries. It ain't Indian, it's English , from Brumingham. Damn cheek if you ask me.....

TNBA

TTF

Punjabis would be after you for cultural appropriation.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
This is a load of nonsense and the kind of stuff 'right on' white folks get wrapped around the axles about. Surely the point of multiculturalism is that it's for everyone? If Levi Roots cooked a roast dinner, who's going to argue that it's not the same as one you'd get in the home counties.

Jamie Oliver may not be everyone's cup of infused herbal tea, but at least he tries to get across the importance of good fresh food in a country obsessed with the sugary, calorie laden gak of a 'cheeky Maccy D' s.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
its not really, its a logical consequence of the objection. we want more multiculturalism, more integration, but when someone embraces a culture and integrates with it, they are accused of the new heinous crime of "cultural appropriation".

which is it to be, integrate or keep cultures in separate boxes?

This is exactly where I stand on the issue. Those who scream cultural appropriation are actually saying certain things are only allowed for certain cultures which is actually pretty rude in itself. Of course you should not just wear a religious symbol cause it looks cool or fashionable but the fusion of style and cultures is what multi-culturalism is all about.

When I worked in Kenya one of the white PE staff braided her her, many of the Kenyans do this of course as Afro hair can often be difficult to manage. Said girl had very big, fizzy hair and because she was working outside in the heat and humidity all day she braided it to much to the disgust of many of the Kenyans. I did not want to get involved in the argument as a white male I would clearly have been accused as a racist but I still do not get why this girl was informed how she can and cannot have her hair especially as she was braiding it for practicality and not as a fashion statement.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
It's a good job nobody gives a flying what you think then isn't it Bushy :lolol: You moan on and on and on about being a minority in your own country and all this other nonsense but really it's just the case that no one cares about your ignorant and ill-thought-through opinions.

ah , the public scbool pr1ck is back , still got that chip on your shoulder posh boy ?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
ah , the public scbool pr1ck is back , still got that chip on your shoulder posh boy ?

I think I'll leave it to the rest of the NSC to decide which of us has the bigger chip on their shoulder my boy. :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So, if 10cc had recorded Dreadlock Holiday today would they have been charged with cultural appropriation?

No, they would have been lauged at for startling shitness.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is true so I think the argument should be about misleading marketing, not cultural appropriation.

I agree. However, jerk things are not sufficiently specific for it to be a real issue. Nor is Jamaica part of a UK trading bloc, so bollocks to them. UB40 and Sting can prance however they wish. If it were Cheddar cheese made in a warehouse in Faversham, or Champagne fermented in Lewes, however then you'd have the EC all over you for violation of the 'protected geographical status' rules.

The comments about cultural appropriation being when a big rich nation reproduces music, food, clothing, etc in the manner of that from a smaller poor country, this being deemed to be equivalent to colonialism, is drivelling bollocks. You might as well say having a black girlfriend is cultural rape.

Mrs T apparently heard the dimbo MP ranting on the radio earlier today, and said MP couldn't even stick to the point - moaning about the ingredients being wrong. This is like complaining about the black and white minstrels on the grounds that they got the lyrics of 'Mamie' wrong. FFS. That woman appears to be stealing a career.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I If it were Cheddar cheese made in a warehouse in Faversham, or Champagne fermented in Lewes, however then you'd have the EC all over you for violation of the 'protected geographical status' rules.

And quite right to.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is a load of nonsense and the kind of stuff 'right on' white folks get wrapped around the axles about. Surely the point of multiculturalism is that it's for everyone? If Levi Roots cooked a roast dinner, who's going to argue that it's not the same as one you'd get in the home counties.

Jamie Oliver may not be everyone's cup of infused herbal tea, but at least he tries to get across the importance of good fresh food in a country obsessed with the sugary, calorie laden gak of a 'cheeky Maccy D' s.

Except on this occasion the complainant is black. I looked her up. Apparently she was one of the 'patronizing' nominees of Corbyn in his first leadershit election victory despite being a Burnham supporter. Later she has come out as a Corbyn supporter. Before she discovered cultural appropriation she was a big promoter of her own skin colour, launching the cross-party parliamentary group, the Parliamentary Black Caucus, concerned with ethnic minority issues. Honestly, if I started advocating a special part of NSC for white people or accusing black football supporters who join NSC of cultural appropriation I would rightly be branded a racist idiot.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Except on this occasion the complainant is black. I looked her up. Apparently she was one of the 'patronizing' nominees of Corbyn in his first leadershit election victory despite being a Burnham supporter. Later she has come out as a Corbyn supporter. Before she discovered cultural appropriation she was a big promoter of her own skin colour, launching the cross-party parliamentary group, the Parliamentary Black Caucus, concerned with ethnic minority issues. Honestly, if I started advocating a special part of NSC for white people or accusing black football supporters who join NSC of cultural appropriation I would rightly be branded a racist idiot.

I think you’d be branded just an idiot.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here