Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Jamie Oliver jerk rice controversy

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
well quite, jerk is about the spices. nothing wrong with using the same spice combination as stock for rice and calling it jerk rice is there? which was Levi's objection, its not very jerk. Rusty Lee's argument about barbecue is just wrong. Jamie Oliver is just being Jamie Oliver. and politicans wading into things nothing to do with politics is just daft. pretty sure if you search the internet enough (now this will dominate results) you'll find recipes for "jerk rice".

https://www.mccormick.com/zatarains/recipes/salads-sides/caribbean-jerk-rice

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
As is often the case in these situations, truth is stranger than fiction.

Some people's hair naturally forms into locks if it's never brushed or combed. Someone I was at university with tried it and it worked. Tbh, the guy in this video looks as if he has gone down the 'never brush or comb' route.

This is worth a listen if you've got the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHYls9e4mVM

Last edited:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Actually it was the phoney Jamaican accent that he sings in that I was objecting to. Although your points are also as valid.

Isn't that just called 'Geordie'?

My God! You've just struck gold.

The entire West Indian archipelago has culturally appropriated the North East of England.

Newcastle City Council should demand damages.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I have been self identifying as a black Jamaican for two weeks now and as a black Jamaican i can safely say with authority Mr Oliver is a jerk.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Seems a few have had a knee jerk reaction to this

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
So the logic is that I can eat food originating from another country/culture (I am embracing multi-culturalism), but I can't cook it myself (I am resorted to cultural appropriation).

Not sure that I want to be in a world where those are the rules. Seems Ms Butler wants to have her cake and eat it... but only if it's baked by a Jamaican Chef! FFS.

I read this when it first broke and the argument should be than Jamie Oliver is a sh1t chef. "Jerk" is a meat marinade. "Jerk Rice" doesn't mean anything. And on top of that the recipe JO used, I believe, bears no resemblance to the ingredients used in "Jerk". Storm in a teacup at best!

Nothing wrong with Jamie Oliver as a chef - He also writes his recipes in a very simple, unfussy manner. He is though, of course, a complete and utter bellend.

I would typically side with the liberals but this is a bit silly, Oliver is being inventive, nowt wrong with that. The appropriation of Holi, for instance, now that's horrible.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Some people's hair naturally forms into locks if it's never brushed or combed. Someone I was at university with tried it and it worked. Tbh, the guy in this video looks as if he has gone down the 'never brush or comb' route.

This is worth a listen if you've got the time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHYls9e4mVM
worth a listen if you give a f*ck whether they thi k its cultural appropriation , and i dont im afraid.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I am going to self identify as a great footballer today as playing footgolf with the kids shortly. Anu Objections directed to my local MP in Finchley & Golders Green as I suspect this might be top of Mikes priorities

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
By that argument, Sting should give all his earnings away and quit the music business. Actually not a bad idea.
Any excuse....
159b800bce4627eecf3c50fbe75edff2.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Its a brand of American jeans, so Americans will be up in arms at Mr Roots cultural appropriation!
Indeed.

The world's gone ****ing mad.

I didn't realise this cultural appropriation was such a big deal. Jesus people, get over yourselves.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Indeed.

The world's gone ****ing mad.

I didn't realise this cultural appropriation was such a big deal. Jesus people, get over yourselves.
I didn't even know it was a thing until I read this thread. Although the story about the Chinese dress did ring a bell as I recall thinking "what a load of bollocks".

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
So, if 10cc had recorded Dreadlock Holiday today would they have been charged with cultural appropriation?

That is the whole point.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I didn't even know it was a thing until I read this thread. Although the story about the Chinese dress did ring a bell as I recall thinking "what a load of bollocks".
I hadn't seen the dreadlocks thing before. **** me that's daft.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here