Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Jamie Oliver jerk rice controversy

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I see Levi Roots has said that Jamie’s made a mistake. Levi’s real name was Keith Valentine Graham. Isn’t changing it to Levi Roots cultural appropriation?

That's a rather silly example. A chap born in Jamaica, sells Jamaican inspired food products, and uses a Jamaican name :shrug:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
As ever 80s celebrity Rustie Lee is the voice of reason.

TV chef Rustie Lee, who was born in Jamaica, tried Oliver’s rice and told the Guardian she “didn’t like it” and that there’s “no such thing in the Caribbean as jerk rice.” Lee added: “Jerk means barbecue. So, you can’t barbecue rice. If you tried to barbecue rice on a barbecue it would fall through. It’s ridiculous.”

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
FWIW the concept of cultural appropriation is mostly utter bullshit, and more often than not it is about the complainant attention seeking, and almost never a case of the 'offender' actually meaning any offence, to the 'wronged' culture.

A famous white girl chooses to put her hair in corn-rows. The absolute HORROR! :eek:

Twats.

As is often the case in these situations, truth is stranger than fiction.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As ever 80s celebrity Rustie Lee is the voice of reason.

her definition insisting barbecuing will be news to many Caribbeans cooking jerk in a pot or in the oven.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
So the logic is that I can eat food originating from another country/culture (I am embracing multi-culturalism), but I can't cook it myself (I am resorted to cultural appropriation).

Not sure that I want to be in a world where those are the rules. Seems Ms Butler wants to have her cake and eat it... but only if it's baked by a Jamaican Chef! FFS.

I read this when it first broke and the argument should be than Jamie Oliver is a sh1t chef. "Jerk" is a meat marinade. "Jerk Rice" doesn't mean anything. And on top of that the recipe JO used, I believe, bears no resemblance to the ingredients used in "Jerk". Storm in a teacup at best!

That is the argument, isn't it? However, a few people are getting in a tizz because they think they're not allowed to get a Chinese takeaway anymore.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The Chinese also invented pizza. Bi ze means "round thing" and was the generic term for sauce on round bread. "B" and "P" are interchangeable depending on whether you use the Wade Giles or Pinyin systems of Romanizing Chinese. It's why Peking became Beijing. It just means "north capital". Anyway, Marco Polo took it back to Naples and the rest was history. Not well known history though.

All things suffer from cultural appropriation at some point and food is one of the worst. Some of the food crimes committed in the name of "fusion" should have carried mandatory five year sentences and a lifetime ban from the kitchen. And that's really the issue here. Jamie has made "jerk" rice that has literally no jerk ingredients at all. Unfortunately under Corbyn's Labour party there is licence to totally miss the point in the name of political correctness. Imagine if these back to fronts ran the country. :eek:

If you want to make jerk you need scotch bonnets, though I'd tend to make a jerk sauce marinade and put it on chicken. Jerk rice is just weird. But then Jamie has never let authenticity get in the way of his fortune.

Telling Italians that the Chinese invented pizza and pasta is great fun.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Cultural appropriation is getting so over-used.

This is just a crap product and basically break trading standards.

It's like selling curried chicken and opening the packet to discover lemon sole.

It's not cultural appropriation, it's cultural assassination.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Again not strictly true. India is so huge that the food varies enormously from North to South and betwen religions. Plenty of British Indians do dhal and chicken biryani which you can find all over (I had chicken biryani for my lunch in my company's Indian office canteen in Bangalore on Friday last week) and plenty of hotel restaurants in India do Tandoori chicken, tikkas and butter chicken. But they don't do "Madras", "Vindaloo" or "Chicken Tikka Masala". Thank God.

You find plenty of Vindaloo in Goa, though it differs to what you find in UK restaurants. The dish derives from the Portuguese carne de vinha d'alhos (meat with wine and garlic); the Goans borrowed the concept and Indianised it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
her definition insisting barbecuing will be news to many Caribbeans cooking jerk in a pot or in the oven.
That's not really the point though is ?

The MP used stupid words but Jamie Oliver does need laughing at. I know a Jamaican cook who does it in the oven, very slowly cooked then blasted on a barbeque. Alongside the traditional ingredients which I believe to be allspice, scotch bonnet and thyme ? He also uses a variety of Thai spices. I was really surprised what went in there.

Its about giving the meat an intense marinade from what is available. That's the point.

Jamie has spiced up some microwave rice with some powdered ginger and mexican chillies and is selling it as Jamaican Barbecue rice :)

That's completely different from a "Greek Pizza", "Indian Fish and Chips" etc.

He can do what he likes, but why people buy these celebrity endorsed products is beyond me.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The Chinese also invented pizza. Bi ze means "round thing" and was the generic term for sauce on round bread. "B" and "P" are interchangeable depending on whether you use the Wade Giles or Pinyin systems of Romanizing Chinese. It's why Peking became Beijing. It just means "north capital". Anyway, Marco Polo took it back to Naples and the rest was history. Not well known history though.

interesting revision, overlooks the thing that defines pizza over just another round bread is tomato sauce, which weren't around in China until well after Marco Polo.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
interesting revision, overlooks the thing that defines pizza over just another round bread is tomato sauce, which weren't around in China until well after Marco Polo.

What about white pizzas (no tomato)? These are found all over Italy and there's often a section of the menu dedicated to them.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
By that argument, Sting should give all his earnings away and quit the music business. Actually not a bad idea.

I don't think 'white reggae' was something that Sting marketed. It was just another label that the music press were searching for at the time. And anyhow, it was Andy Summers who would have been responsible for those lead guitar riffs, so he should give up his cash.

However, you could say that Sting's later solo career was born out of Jazz, in which case, yes he should hand over his royalties.

Then again, one might say that it was Lonnie Donnegan's estate who should pay all these royalties after he popularised the jazz sounds of the deep south for his Skiffle sound (although I'd imagine that Chris Barber should also shoulder some of the cost.)

All this leads us onto the Rolling Stones, who really are a cultural appropriation disgrace and should be hung up by their short and curlys for taking a sound that was not theirs and turning it into filthy money.

I'm off down to Resident Records now to demand that they only sell English Folk and compilations of Morris Dancing Tracks.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
...Its about giving the meat an intense marinade from what is available. That's the point.

well quite, jerk is about the spices. nothing wrong with using the same spice combination as stock for rice and calling it jerk rice is there? which was Levi's objection, its not very jerk. Rusty Lee's argument about barbecue is just wrong. Jamie Oliver is just being Jamie Oliver. and politicans wading into things nothing to do with politics is just daft. pretty sure if you search the internet enough (now this will dominate results) you'll find recipes for "jerk rice".

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I don't think 'white reggae' was something that Sting marketed. It was just another label that the music press were searching for at the time. And anyhow, it was Andy Summers who would have been responsible for those lead guitar riffs, so he should give up his cash.

However, you could say that Sting's later solo career was born out of Jazz, in which case, yes he should hand over his royalties.

Then again, one might say that it was Lonnie Donnegan's estate who should pay all these royalties after he popularised the jazz sounds of the deep south for his Skiffle sound (although I'd imagine that Chris Barber should also shoulder some of the cost.)

All this leads us onto the Rolling Stones, who really are a cultural appropriation disgrace and should be hung up by their short and curlys for taking a sound that was not theirs and turning it into filthy money.

I'm off down to Resident Records now to demand that they only sell English Folk and compilations of Morris Dancing Tracks.

Actually it was the phoney Jamaican accent that he sings in that I was objecting to. Although your points are also as valid.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here