Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As a point of interest how do we all think that CH would do if he was United or says Spurs manager? Unthinkable two seasons ago but if he keeps going like he has over the last couple of seasons, he will surely be targeted by one of the big boys eventually?

I honestly think he’d make a better fist of United than Mourinho has done and yes I know they’ve won some cups and finished second but Christ they are a dull team, even at home. United are traditionally a very attractive team to watch most of the time.

I think we may be moving into attempted poaching territory from one of the big boys if we do well again this season.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
They are right . They should be beating us every time . Simple economics

So much neediness to be praised by Man U fans. How much praise was there for Watford on here after last week? From memory, it was all about how shit we were.

Both of these posts are correct.

They really should be beating us with the resources at their disposal.

Their fans are only going to see things from their perspective, we do exactly the same thing. You just have to accept it, and in many cases our fans need to lose the small club chip from their shoulder.

There was plenty of praise for us in the media, MOTD was mostly focused on us and IMHO Sky's analysis wasn't as one sided as people made out.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
As a point of interest how do we all think that CH would do if he was United or says Spurs manager? Unthinkable two seasons ago but if he keeps going like he has over the last couple of seasons, he will surely be targeted by one of the big boys eventually?

I honestly think he’d make a better fist of United than Mourinho has done and yes I know they’ve won some cups and finished second but Christ they are a dull team, even at home. United are traditionally a very attractive team to watch most of the time.

I think we may be moving into attempted poaching territory from one of the big boys if we do well again this season.

I love Hughton but I can't see it happening. To attract one of the big 6 he'll need more on his CV than getting a midtable finish with a recently promoted club.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I love Hughton but I can't see it happening. To attract one of the big 6 he'll need more on his CV than getting a midtable finish with a recently promoted club.

What you are actually saying is “only foreigners who’ve done well in their leagues” will get the top jobs? It seems to have gone that way for a while now, one of the big clubs will break the mould soon. I imagine Smug Eddie will be the first target though. There have been quite a few highly rated foreign coaches who have failed in the Premier League, so maybe a club will take a chance on a British coach who already knows the league and the players eventually.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
So much neediness to be praised by Man U fans. How much praise was there for Watford on here after last week? From memory, it was all about how shit we were.

Agreed , this neediness is tinpot.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
What you are actually saying is “only foreigners who’ve done well in their leagues” will get the top jobs? It seems to have gone that way for a while now, one of the big clubs will break the mould soon. I imagine Smug Eddie will be the first target though. There have been quite a few highly rated foreign coaches who have failed in the Premier League, so maybe a club will take a chance on a British coach who already knows the league and the players eventually.

Pretty much, yes. Howe, with Youth on his side, has a chance. Chris is 60 this year.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
The arrogance spreads from the top of their club down to their supporters. Look at the United players reactions when we won the ball off them, got into their faces, shut them down and scored. Pogba summed it up by saying that the attitude of their players let them down. We've now set a bench mark for ourselves. Forget what the so called BIG SIX think of us other Premier league teams.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My office is mostly non-plastic Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham fans (the plastics don't get much of a look-in anyway). They are all absolutely delighted we beat United, all said we deserved it and generally have a soft spot for us. It's each other they don't like :)

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Posted a match report on my blog this morning that touches on bits of this subject. We were great and that does need to be acknowledged but, to be fair, Man U disintegrating under Mourinho is back page news. Their players don't look like they want to play for him. More here

https://brightononlyathome.wordpress.com/2018/08/20/manchester-united-at-home-2018-19-clinical/
decent read that mate , apart from the co stant references to the location of uniteds fanbase , theit away support is a.massively different kettle of fish to their home support.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
It's only like us last week. How much credit did we give Watford for their comprehensive win?? Very little, we were more focused and to be honest OTT in the lambasting of our performance, that's the nature of the beast you're always going to focus on your own side and often go OTT in praise or criticism because you speak from the heart as well as the head.

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
I particularly liked this comment on the Beeb :) ...

1EB6946B-B644-40C0-97AB-CF0E7D2C7E49.jpeg

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

CH managerial stock has never been higher. It's not has lack of ability that stops the bigger teams coming calling. Its the snoberry of Directors and Owners of clubs who think that you need a foreign coach to be sucessful in European Competitions where the ''Big Prize '' is

Roberto Martinez turned Wigan from a '' relegation threatened '' side into a '' relegated '' side. He was rewarded with the Everton job.

Marco Silva turned Hull from a '' relegation threatened '' side into a '' relegated '' side. He was rewarded with the Everton job.

Then there is the debacle of the Dutch Managers who have come and gone failure after failure at various clubs in the PL and as for Watford, they won't even touch a British Manager these days.

The top 6 have rarely ventured from a Foreign Manager since the big bucks went into the Champions League. David Moyes at Man United I think probably the exception and he only got that because Ferguson angled for it before he retired.

CH is not angling for one of the ''Big Jobs'' - He knows that sucess is all ''relevant'' to a particular clubs standing in the ''food chain'' - So long as he feels he is successful in relative terms then he knows he has done a good job. Being a sucess is what drives him and not the multi million pound jobs on the horizon. He is suceeding where he is now.

Would a big club offer a fresh challenge were it to be offered to him. Possibly, but in no way is he angling for one.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
decent read that mate , apart from the co stant references to the location of uniteds fanbase , theit away support is a.massively different kettle of fish to their home support.

Cheers. You are factually correct of course. Their away support has been decent for years though they were headed for the exits about 80 mins yesterday. It's a little bit of a running joke from FB based on the fact I have United supporting family from Devon, a United supporting boss from Basingstoke via Guildford (hence the reference to the latter) and a mate from school who's United but has been to OT once. I also have a tendency to repeat crap jokes.

el punal

Agreed , this neediness is tinpot.

It’s nothing to do with neediness but it’s everything to do with respect. We beat United fair and square, accept it and acknowledge it that they were beaten by a better side. I think it’s some of their fans who are the needy ones.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If we want to stay in the Premier League then we really should be taking points off teams like Manchester United.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here