Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Solly March

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Have to say the last couple of seasons I've felt that he either hasn't seized on opportunities that have presented themselves or isn't going to live up to our initial expectations. That said yesterday's performance was superb, he really whipped the ball across, creating chances and Murray's goal, he's taking player's on when he needs to and is getting stronger on the ball. For me he was MotM although no complaints with Davy getting it either.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Will the real Solly March stand up. He is very inconsistent so I did think that he would not start yesterday but he had a great game.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The jury is still out for me l'm afraid.

Yes, yesterday was one of his better games, and he played a greater part in it than most of his previous ones, but he still looks disinterested much of the time, and goes missing too often.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I think 90% of Sollys problems are down to confidence. Hopefully, after Sunday's game his quota of confidence will be sky high, and, as confidence breeds confidence, he has a cracking season.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Expectations have been so high since he broke through and he really is one of my favourite players, he came from non league football and was obviously talented if a little lightweight. He had a real purple patch where his talent blossomed in the championship and he filled out. The way he has evolved since promotion has been very impressive, his defensive work has been under appreciated and there has been a price to pay in a lessening of his attacking impetus. If he can balance the two and just adds a touch of confidence he could play for England. I am definitely ‘Team Solly’ and I believe he will reach his potential.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The jury is still out for me l'm afraid.

Yes, yesterday was one of his better games, and he played a greater part in it than most of his previous ones, but he still looks disinterested much of the time, and goes missing too often.

I agree - He is more '' miss '' than '' hit '' or at least that has been the case recently : However, yesterday, he followed instruction.

Get the ball crossed early every time you can. Don't give the ball away cheaply in deep positions. Press high up when we don't have the ball. And get back and help the defence when the opposition have it in advanced positions.

He followed all the to the letter yesterday. If he continues to do what he is told to do then I have no problems with him retaining his place. The lad is well thought of at the club but he himself often lacks confidence. He was just getting that confidence when he got injured a couple of years ago. So I am hopeful that yesterdays performance can bring back the confidence he had before that serious injury and we might se an improved Solly in the coming months.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Defensively he’s always been sound in that position. He would be a perfect wingback to be honest. People have to realise that the quality of full backs in the premier league is vastly superior to those in the champsionship and he’s not going to be skinning them 20 times a game. That said his delivery needs work at times although yesterday it was good.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Ashley Young is a decent footballer but he is not a right-back and I thought Solly gave him a tough afternoon.

I know it was Man Utd but as right-back opponents go most in the Prem will be better than Young.

Solly has improved defensively but this seems to be at the expense of some of his attacking instincts, particularly away from home. Conversely, Izquierdo is our most consistent attacking player away from home.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
He proved yesterday that he is up to the job but he is desperately inconsistent. When Jose is fit he is still very much second choice but I do hope he uses yesterday as a catalyst for more self-belief and consistency.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He is very inconsistent
As Knocky has been over the last year. Quite typical for a winger, and Solly is still getting used to the step up to the PL.

It's still to early to know if he'll be a success at this level or not, we just have to hope he is.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
We know Solly has it in him to be a success in the PL. He can be unplayable at times, but he does rely heavily on the fullbacks support and also the team has to win the midfield battle to prevent him dropping too deep. Izquierdo has the pace to be able to offer a threat even when playing badly like at Selhurst a few months back. That’s the difference. Solly is a different kind of winger to Izzy. I always think he offers more to his game at the Amex and as sub when the opposition play deeper, through being at the Amex or because players are tiring.
Consistency is what March needs, the signs are good this early on in the season. I hope he can stay free from injury and get some rhythm to his performances.

Last edited:

el punal

Have to say the last couple of seasons I've felt that he either hasn't seized on opportunities that have presented themselves or isn't going to live up to our initial expectations. That said yesterday's performance was superb, he really whipped the ball across, creating chances and Murray's goal, he's taking player's on when he needs to and is getting stronger on the ball. For me he was MotM although no complaints with Davy getting it either.

I reckon that the players who underperformed at Watford were probably given the biggest bollocking going, and threatened with the old “if you can’t do the job then we’ve got someone who can” routine.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Consistency is what March needs, the signs are good this early on in the season.

Eh? Did you see his performance at Watford?

One swallow a summer does not make....

Don’t get me wrong I want him to perform at that level but when Jose is fit I don’t want him to be anything but second choice.

Jose’s pace scares the pants off of teams and his defensive work has come on so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
We know Solly has it in him to be a success in the PL. He can be unplayable at times, but he does rely heavily on the fullbacks support and also the team has to win the midfield battle to prevent him dropping too deep. Izquierdo has the pace to be able to offer a threat even when playing badly like at Selhurst a few months back. That’s the difference. Solly is a different kind of winger to Izzy. I always think he offers more to his game at the Amex and as sub when the opposition play deeper, through being at the Amex or because players are tiring.
Consistency is what March needs, the signs are good this early on in the season. I hope he can stay free from injury and get some rhythm to his performances.

Not for me. Total hyperbole. He was never unplayable last season, or possibly ever in his career. He was good at the start of the season, very productive. After that, less so.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here