Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunces to Heroes in a Week . . . How?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
True, but I can't help thinking there were many on Nsc, who are guilty of similar feelings to Man Utd fans, thinking we really should be beating teams like Watford.
Yes very silly as Watford have a better squad than us. We probably still have the 3rd weakest squad in the league. We are punching.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Maybe I'm over stating it a bit, but it is hard to see people being as angry with last week's performance as they were if they weren't expecting a win. Yeah, the performance was bad, but if you're expecting a loss and see a poor performance and a loss, there tends to be a different response. More of disappointment than anger.

If you saw the performance , you would of seen how bad they were , no way would of they got away with playing like that at home ,they were appalling, that’s why people were angry , also CH played almost the same team that collected 11 points on the road last season , despite all the signings , and guess what ? The same result as last season away performances , people were hoping for a change , but it was the same old Brighton away performance

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If you saw the performance , you would of seen how bad they were , no way would of they got away with playing like that at home ,they were appalling, that’s why people were angry , also CH played almost the same team that collected 11 points on the road last season , despite all the signings , and guess what ? The same result as last season away performances , people were hoping for a change , but it was the same old Brighton away performance

I went to several away games last season. None of them were appalling even the West Brom game. Disappointing maybe, but not appalling.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I went to several away games last season. None of them were appalling even the West Brom game. Disappointing maybe, but not appalling.

But perhaps the rhythm of our play was badly punctuated? Should of not been but , sometimes its , the way it goes.

(apologies but, FFS :facepalm: I admire your stamina, TB; I wouldn't bother myself :eek:)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nah.

Still doesn't explain why rubbish like west Brom, Stoke and Swansea had better away records than us. We need to do better away.

I think it's a mental thing coupled with hughton's negativity.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Ever thought of becoming a sports psychologist? Don't let great insight go to waste :thumbsup:

:facepalm:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Maybe I'm over stating it a bit
Ok.
but it is hard to see people being as angry with last week's performance as they were if they weren't expecting a win. Yeah, the performance was bad, but if you're expecting a loss and see a poor performance and a loss, there tends to be a different response.
But there's a long way between expecting a loss and just thinking we'd turn up and easily get the win.

Before a ball was kicked, people (not just here) were thinking Watford might be one of the teams to struggle. So obviously we went there hoping to get a point or three, while knowing neither would come easily. And if we'd lost, but played ok, people would have been disappointed, but it was worse than that. The manager and players have commented that we didn't play well enough.

This Saturday coming is a different matter. Most of us will expect to lose, and if we don't perform well it'll be disappointing, but we'll try and put it in context and forget about it as soon as possible.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Isn't much of it to do with pressing? We, as a team, seem to not play well against teams that press hard (like Watford did). Geverally too, teams (including us) tenfd to press more at home that they do away - hence our poor away record.

The top clubs, generally, rely less on pressing and more on their skills and abilities and talent - and we've done quite well against the top six. We've usually avoided tonkings, and yes, although we usually lose, we usually play quite well and give them a good game. United under Mourinho are one of the less pressing sides - yes, they were poor on Sunday and we played great, but I still wasn't expecting to beat them, but they were always one of the top six sides that we were more likely to get something from. Them and Arsenal.

Next up Liverpool - now they really did turn us over twice last season - and TBH, I expect them to do it again at the weekend. As well as their skills, talent and ability they are also ferociously fast pressers, from Salah and Firminho up front and all the way back. We won't get a half second on the ball. Like may others, I hope CH will introduce a newbie or two, and go for it just a little bit - but TBH I think against Liverpool it will be more a case of keeping the score down.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

This
Watford was appalling, there are no two ways about it. Nothing wrong with playing away and getting beat, nothing wrong with being outplayed.......but Watford.....ffs, one of the worst couldnt give a toss performances i have seen for years.......as you say appalling.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I came away from Watford very worried about the season ahead. We appeared to be at least two leagues below a side that had struggled at the end of last season. The Bruno injury was key I think, as Bernardo played so poorly at right back that the confidence of the team as a whole seemed to disintegrate.
For the Utd game, Chris Hughton fixed the problem with Bong very solid at left back, and Montoya having a good debut. Cue more confidence at the back, especially on the left which meant Solly had a great game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I thought the 1st half at Watford was pretty much 50:50. They had chances and so did we (I was convinced that Dales shot had gone in), So maybe we weren't quite so crap as some on here make out. Yes in the second half they out fought us and deserved to win but no we weren't completely crap the whole match.

Do we need to re-visit our thoughts on the Watford game now that they are not nailed on for relegation but are in fact pushing Liverpool at the top of the table.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Do we need to re-visit our thoughts on the Watford game now that they are not nailed on for relegation but are in fact pushing Liverpool at the top of the table.

Not really. Our own performance was totally inadequate at Watford, we'd have got turned over away at most Championship clubs playing like that. No drive, no determination. Players went hiding, everyone just looked to do the simple thing, the easy thing, passing the ball sideways and backwards. It such was a limp and lifeless effort, and Watford were the fortunate beneficeries. We'd have lost EVERYWHERE playing like that. Everywhere.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here