Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
For crying out loud. For the twentieth time, the club is NOT banning sandwiches. Or cakes. Or sausage rolls. Or sweets. At least not unless you bring any of those things in a FLASK, or intend to sit and eat them in a hospitality lounge.

Stop making things up. Its as boring as hell.

Actually they are banning sweets and any type of food in the hospitality lounge or 1901 seated area.

Source - Paul Barber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Actually they are banning sweets and any type of food in the hospitality lounge or 1901 seated area.

Source - Paul Barber

What, even the sweets they sell in the downstairs foyer? That is harsh and I’d love to know how they intend to police people bringing sweets to a game.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
You can get ski poles (for those inclined to face forward) that can be filled with booze. Wonder if anyone makes out hollowed out walking sticks that you can sip from ???

I dont think this thread is really about ways to smuggle booze in to the Amex....its about the convenience of having a hot drink from a flask without having to queue for a lukewarm over priced cup of rat piss.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
You said it was for one reason REVENUE. If so, why wait until we are in the 7th/8th year at the Amex and making over £100m a year from TV monies and now making a profit, when the ban could have been introduced years ago when the club was losing money hand over fist, if all the club was interested in was revenue?

El Pres, quite surprised by your comment there, tbh. I am aware of who you are and what you do,however.....

At the time, the 'club' was totally different and things like this wouldn't have been thought about.

You know too well that business' starts at the top with the big money things and when they've sewn up those avenues they then start to cut costs / maximise revenue down to the bottom.

'Bottom line Paul' has a history of this. He is very good at his job, of that nobody doubts but when he comes to this, which is not for security reasons,as much as he'd tell us,he's rinsing his customers for the last pennies.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Source - Paul Barber

I know. That's why I said they were not banning those things UNLESS he was 'bringing them in a flask' OR 'intending to eat them in a hospitality lounge'. :shrug:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What, even the sweets they sell in the downstairs foyer? That is harsh and I’d love to know how they intend to police people bringing sweets to a game.

We bring Foxes, Minstrels and other types of sweets in bags, and we’re advised these could no longer be brought in to the 1901 area.

This was then echoed by the steward when searched in West Stand reception.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We bring Foxes, Minstrels and other types of sweets in bags, and we’re advised these could no longer be brought in to the 1901 area.

Sledgehammer and nut spring to mind. How fecking petty is that and no I don’t want to hear a 300 word justification from Paul Barber because I don’t think it can be justified. Pathetic

They will no doubt continue to sell obscenely overpriced sweets behind the bar though.

Most of this corporate money making shit goes over my head but this has actually touched a nerve if true.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

They never found my KITKAT! mwahahahahahahahaha.

I glad they've banned your foxes mints - I've a ridiculously low tolerance level and get wound up by people constantly rusting wrappers. You can keep your minstrels though! :thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
They never found my KITKAT! mwahahahahahahahaha.

I glad they've banned your foxes mints - I've a ridiculously low tolerance level and get wound up by people constantly rusting wrappers. You can keep your minstrels though! :thumbsup:

But how many fingers did your kit kat have?
[emoji23]

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
El Pres, quite surprised by your comment there, tbh. I am aware of who you are and what you do,however.....

At the time, the 'club' was totally different and things like this wouldn't have been thought about.

You know too well that business' starts at the top with the big money things and when they've sewn up those avenues they then start to cut costs / maximise revenue down to the bottom.

'Bottom line Paul' has a history of this. He is very good at his job, of that nobody doubts but when he comes to this, which is not for security reasons,as much as he'd tell us,he's rinsing his customers for the last pennies.

By all means have a go at the club for banning flasks, although I think it’s a fuss about nothing.

However there’s no evidence that the motive is financial. If PB’s aim was to maximise income and cut costs that things like AITC would have been binned off ages ago as it’s a significant cost for the club. A few extra cuppas sold isn’t the driver of the decision as it’s so inconsequential.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

What is the old saying 'watch the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves'.

IMHO this was a move that he hoped would go through with very little fuss as opposed to acting against AITC or cutting back in that area as suggested by El Pres which would raise a volume of storm and complaint.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I genuinely don't think this is the case here. It's more in line with a lot of other event arenas of a similar size/profile, security intelligence and advice is now far more sophisticated and regular and as CEO he's got personal responsibility for the safety of over 30,000 people once every couple of weeks. You're right the club is different - but along with that the risk profile of the Amex (let alone pre-Amex days) is now hugely higher than it was when we were in the championship so I can understand the club wanting to mitigate risks as far as reasonably possible. A single incident would be a disaster. Stopping people taking in shell-sized metal containers that could contain anything doesn't seem unreasonable to me when drinks are available inside and it's only for a couple of hours anyway. Understand it's annoying if it's something you've always done, but times and circumstances change.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here