Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
My dad will turn 80 this season and has been watching the Albion since 1946.
He was also told yesterday he can’t bring his flask in again. Having watched the Albion at The Goldstone, Gillingham, Withdean and now the Amex he said he can’t remember a match he didn’t take his flask to (and in the 46 years I’ve been going with him I’ve never not known him have his half-time hot drink refreshment). He cetainly won’t be able to queue for a cuppa at half time - why take this away from a generation of fans (many of who are the lifeblood of the club) for whome their flask is as much of a matchday tradition as anything?
Poor decision from the club - I hope Paul Barber is reading this?

This, thousand times this.

Paul Barber, if you are reading this, the fans are revolting, err rebelling.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ridiculous - The tea at the amex is crap and as a certified Englishman it is my right to have a decent cup of tea. That entails a flask. A bloody Thermos!

Who would of thought that you could be refused entry to a Football match because you brought a flask with you.

At my local Bostik Premier league ground, I can have a pint while sitting in the stands, wander down the coop at half time and get a meal deal plus smoke near the toilets if I was that way inclined. And I bet I could take a flask in with me - possibly even a pot noodle.

There has never, as I am aware has been any fatalities or injuries on any occasion I have been present.

So don't play the Health and Safety card with me, I won't have it.

I bought a cup of tea after the game, and once the stands are emptied the bins are moved across the entrances, to stop fans going back out to their seats.
The tea was served with a teabag still in it, and I collected the milk, and a stirrer. I then took the teabag out after a couple of minutes, poured the milk in, and being a tidy person, I took the milk sachets, stirrer and hot tea bag to the bin.
The stupid woman stood in front of the bin with her arms wide open, saying you can't go past! I have to say I got annoyed and said I want to put my rubbish in the bin, including a bloody hot teabag.
She looked astonished, as if she hadn't realised that the bin actually took rubbish!

Pickles

May 5, 2014
ptb.png

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
While we are on the subject of grave Health & Safety breaches likely to endanger lives.
At yesterday's games I saw two young lasses tottering down the steps in their high heels going to their seats while holding huge handbags. Luckily neither was holding a thermos flask as I am sure the lower west would have needed to be evacuated.
I also observed many people on the concourse walking in all directions some even with liquid refreshment, an accident waiting to happen. Again I did not seem any thermos flasks, although I can only imagine the horrors a few flasks would have added to the carnage.
I'm not sure if it's safe to attend the Amex anymore.
Worried Brighton fan.

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Can only see this stupid decision causing nothing but ill-feeling. If a few hundred fans bring a flask in it isn't exactly impacting their match day income. If they are worried about booze being drunk in view of the pitch they could always take the lid off the flask and have a sniff of what is inside.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
We were told that it was to bring the Amex in line with all premier grounds.( that was what the stewards at the ESU entrance said) nothing to do with safety.....didnt have my flask today so bought a coffee and it was luke warm......wont be doing that again.

Glad it wasnt just my Bovril that was luke warm at best, took it back to the counter and they said thats as hot the water goes lol

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
If they are worried about booze being drunk in view of the pitch they could always take the lid off the flask and have a sniff of what is inside.

My late dad, a tea totaller, used to bring a flask to a game and I recall a steward at the Goldstone doing exactly this. There was a nervous moment where I saw steward about to out my dead as an alcoholic, but fortunately it passed the sniff test. Happy days. He would shudder at this ban. It is ridiculous.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
They won't make money on this as the catering queues are already overloaded at 100% capacity.

Need to sort out the service first, before tinkering around the edges, and adding extra load.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Can someone post the reply from Barber? Be interested to hear his reasoning behind this.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Can someone post the reply from Barber? Be interested to hear his reasoning behind this.

"Thank you for your email and for offering your opinions.

In line with many other stadiums and other major venues across the country, we will not be permitting flasks, metal or glass containers in to the stadium for safety and security reasons.

We informed supporters yesterday, in person, and this will be followed by more electronic communication leading up to the Fulham game, to ensure the policy will be implemented as smoothly as possible.

Best wishes, Paul"

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

In line with many other stadiums and other major venues across the country, we will not be permitting flasks, metal or glass containers in to the stadium for safety and security reasons.

We informed supporters yesterday, in person, and this will be followed by more electronic communication leading up to the Fulham game, to ensure the policy will be implemented as smoothly as possible.

Best wishes, Paul"
Oo, so foil wine box bags are allowed.

:rock:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I assume that Insider will post an a answer on Ask The Club.whereupon if not considered to be a satisfactory explanation the matter can be taken up at a higher level. Perhaps an online petition but I do not know how to do this.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
They won't make money on this as the catering queues are already overloaded at 100% capacity.

Need to sort out the service first, before tinkering around the edges, and adding extra load.

As I have said previously even if they gave free coffee or Bovril I wouldnt take it up as I have no wish to leave my seat once I sit down until after the game finishes and I am sire many are the same.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Best wishes, Paul"

I'd actually understand it more if it was deemed a security risk, similar to fluids not allowed on a plane. Is there something they are not telling us?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here