Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Reminds me of a few times at various grounds when I've been told to remove the plastic bottle tops and caps from my kids drinks bottles for 'safety reasons'. Most hilariously at Brentford a couple of years ago because they presented a 'missile hazard'!! I politely enquired from the steward whether he would rather me throw a plastic bottle cap at him from 15 feet away or the full 500ml bottle of water I was allowed to carry in and what in his opinion would be most likely to cause him an injury. I was met with bluster and harrumphing and a head steward came over to get involved and started getting all shirty simply because i was trying to point out the ridiculousness of the situation. Standard steward behaviour when they get challenged, we all know they don't like to be questioned and get the hump when they are. I did press the point on principle because they were being arses and asked where on the ticket or in their terms and conditions it said I had to remove bottle tops, they couldn't answer that but just said rather predictably, "If we say you can't, you can't" which was helpful. I got bored and gave up my bottle top at this point. Another case of football fans being treated like idiots and assumptions being made we are all hooligans wanting to luzz things at each other.

On the subject of flasks, I'm fairly certain if you wanted to bring one in the stadium you'd easily be able to do so, the searches at the gates are nothing more than someone rubbing their hands over a few bits of your clothing disinterestedly and peeking in the top of your bag. You could smuggle a frickin hunting knife and full set of ninja throwing stars in if you were so inclined.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
..... Do people with diabetes have to have regular food?

Type-1 diabetics may encounter a hypoglycemic episode [low blood-sugar - unlikely in type-2s] which needs carbohydrate to treat. Whilst a pie or sandwich may suffice, I carry either glucose tablets or gel-tube on me for emergencies. So long as insulin doses are matched to activity and carb intake, food intake for a diabetic need not be any different to a non-diabetic.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Reminds me of a few times at various grounds when I've been told to remove the plastic bottle tops and caps from my kids drinks bottles for 'safety reasons'. Most hilariously at Brentford a couple of years ago because they presented a 'missile hazard'!! I politely enquired from the steward whether he would rather me throw a plastic bottle cap at him from 15 feet away or the full 500ml bottle of water I was allowed to carry in and what in his opinion would be most likely to cause him an injury. I was met with bluster and harrumphing and a head steward came over to get involved and started getting all shirty simply because i was trying to point out the ridiculousness of the situation. Standard steward behaviour when they get challenged, we all know they don't like to be questioned and get the hump when they are. I did press the point on principle because they were being arses and asked where on the ticket or in their terms and conditions it said I had to remove bottle tops, they couldn't answer that but just said rather predictably, "If we say you can't, you can't" which was helpful. I got bored and gave up my bottle top at this point. Another case of football fans being treated like idiots and assumptions being made we are all hooligans wanting to luzz things at each other.

funny thing is, its nothing to do with the bottle lid, its the full bottle that the concern. half a kilo luzzed at someone would hurt.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Upon entering the Amex and once given the all-cIear from the steward regarding my bag, I was astonished to hear that from now on, supporters are no longer allowed to bring a flask into the ground for 'safety reasons'. I am very miffed about this as I like a nice cuppa at halftime in particular and especially in inclement winter weather at evening games.

I asked two other stewards for further clarification but they repeated the mantra that it was for 'safety reasons' and that some people had been taking liberties with alcohol in flasks. In my opinion that is absolute bull as a person behaving like that could be warned and then if there was repetition, banned.

I asked whether it was specifically flasks and what the guidance was for a hot drink in a plastic beaker. The steward in question said that was a good question and that he didn't know the answer to that.

I am blowed if I am going to pay for a cup of tea from the kiosk when it would mean missing some of the match as the queues are horrendous and will only be exacerbated by the hundreds of flaskless individuals who now have to get their fix from the club.

Anyone else hit this problem today?

Further sanitization of football if true.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

On the subject of flasks, I'm fairly certain if you wanted to bring one in the stadium you'd easily be able to do so, the searches at the gates are nothing more than someone rubbing their hands over a few bits of your clothing disinterestedly and peeking in the top of your bag. You could smuggle a frickin hunting knife and full set of ninja throwing stars in if you were so inclined.

I'm fairly certain you couldn't take in a flask. Me and Mrs Earle take a flask for half time coffee to WSL, but swiftly identified by the steward who told us today would be the last opportunity at a home match. He didn't say why and I confess I didn't ask. He also asked me to remove my Albion cap after the regulation pat down, but pretty confident I couldn't conceal a flask in a pocket or on my head!

No idea if it's driven by financial greed or security, but if it's the former, there's no time for a wee and a coffee, so just means no drink at half time. A statement from the club for clarity would help as no mention on the aforementioned email about the lounges.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I'm fairly certain you couldn't take in a flask. Me and Mrs Earle take a flask for half time coffee to WSL, but swiftly identified by the steward who told us today would be the last opportunity at a home match. He didn't say why and I confess I didn't ask. He also asked me to remove my Albion cap after the regulation pat down, but pretty confident I couldn't conceal a flask in a pocket or on my head!

No idea if it's driven by financial greed or security, but if it's the former, there's no time for a wee and a coffee, so just means no drink at half time. A statement from the club for clarity would help as no mention on the aforementioned email about the lounges.

You do wonder why they chose this method of communication to 1901ers re the food and drink business and yet not to a wider group of people re the flask business

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Whether this is for safety reasons or to stop people smuggling in alcohol, soft drink bottles surely pose exactly the same threat. If they stop all liquid containers this would have a huge impact on parents who bring children. The cost of supermarket drinks are a fraction of the cost of the Amex.

Imagine the queues if everyone had to buy every drink from the kiosks!:eek:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Thats the thing, they wanted me to remove the lid and keep the lidless full bottle, made no sense at all.
The 'sense' is that if you chuck the full lidless bottle some of the liquid comes out mid air, and a lot more comes out on impact, so it does less damage.

Last edited:

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
I was totally gobsmacked when told by an arrogant t**t of a jobsworth steward in the ESU that I could no longer bring me half time cuppa in with me. When I interrogated him, he could give no reason and said that all football clubs are having to adopt the policy.
I don’t know where they dragged him up from but he wasn’t one of our regular friendly ones, had one of the orange Phoenix Security jackets on.
I’ve always thought it one of the basic human rights to be able to bring a slice of home made cake and a flask of proper coffee to the footy. Has anyone got an online petition going on this? If I knew how to start one I’d do it.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The 'sense' is that if you chuck the full lidless bottle some of the liquid comes out mid air, and a lot more comes out on impact, so it does less damage.

"note to bottle throwing hooligans - always carry a spare couple of lids in your pocket (and remember to aim the thrown bottle at Mr Dean of the Wirrall)"

Seriously though, Flasks ? "health and safety" ? What a load of cobblers.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can understand bottles (glass ones) not being allowed, but is there any precedent for people hurling flasks? No there isn't - people who take a flask anywhere expect to take it home with them to use again.
The practice of banning food and drink to maximise sales of over-priced refreshments is commonplace these days - at gigs, festivals and other events. If Albion introduce such a ban, it can only be for the same reason as it is done elsewhere - for profit (either for the Albion or because they've agreed a contract with the food and drink franchises to maximise their profits); of course, they won't call it that. Expect words like 'improving the matchday experience' and 'Health and Safety' to be heavily involved...........

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
"note to bottle throwing hooligans - always carry a spare couple of lids in your pocket (and remember to aim the thrown bottle at Mr Dean of the Wirrall)"

Seriously though, Flasks ? "health and safety" ? What a load of cobblers.

At concerts I always carry a spare bottle top in a pocket. Dutifully hand over the top to the steward and then once in, put the spare one back on.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
If I can't take my own booze in why should anyone be allowed to take their own tea, coffee etc. in ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here