Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Upon entering the Amex and once given the all-cIear from the steward regarding my bag, I was astonished to hear that from now on, supporters are no longer allowed to bring a flask into the ground for 'safety reasons'. I am very miffed about this as I like a nice cuppa at halftime in particular and especially in inclement winter weather at evening games.

I asked two other stewards for further clarification but they repeated the mantra that it was for 'safety reasons' and that some people had been taking liberties with alcohol in flasks. In my opinion that is absolute bull as a person behaving like that could be warned and then if there was repetition, banned.

I asked whether it was specifically flasks and what the guidance was for a hot drink in a plastic beaker. The steward in question said that was a good question and that he didn't know the answer to that.

I am blowed if I am going to pay for a cup of tea from the kiosk when it would mean missing some of the match as the queues are horrendous and will only be exacerbated by the hundreds of flaskless individuals who now have to get their fix from the club.

Anyone else hit this problem today?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ask the club/email Barber for clarification. people smuggling alcohol is not a safety reason so sounds like possible duff information. and if it has happened ban those people, dont ban flasks ffs.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Upon entering the Amex and once given the all-cIear from the steward regarding my bag, I was astonished to hear that from now on, supporters are no longer allowed to bring a flask into the ground for 'safety reasons'. I am very miffed about this as I like a nice cuppa at halftime in particular and especially in inclement winter weather at evening games.

I asked two other stewards for further clarification but they repeated the mantra that it was for 'safety reasons' and that some people had been taking liberties with alcohol in flasks. In my opinion that is absolute bull as a person behaving like that could be warned and then if there was repetition, banned.

I asked whether it was specifically flasks and what the guidance was for a hot drink in a plastic beaker. The steward in question said that was a good question and that he didn't know the answer to that.

I am blowed if I am going to pay for a cup of tea from the kiosk when it would mean missing some of the match as the queues are horrendous and will only be exacerbated by the hundreds of flaskless individuals who now have to get their fix from the club.

Anyone else hit this problem today?

Yep told the same...personally only take a flask of bovril into the stadium maybe twice a year...so not really much of an impact...I was told though that if I put some bovril from a jar into a plastic cup then I could ask for some boiling water ....hmmmm

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The steward at our gate told us it was from 1st September no hot food or drinks to be brought in, but no mention of flasks which could also be used for cold drinks. Apparently you can ask for an exemption if medical reasons say that you should have regular food. Do people with diabetes have to have regular food?

If the reason is to increase the sales of coffee etc they will come unstuck on my part as once I am in my seat I have no wish to leave it until after the final whistle so even if it was free I wouldnt go to the kiosk to get one.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
There was and email from the Club/Barber about this sort of thing yesterday, but it only mentioned the lounges/1901. Perhaps some clarification is required.

Brighton & Hove Albion are advising fans that only food and drink purchased at the stadium may be consumed in the 1901 Club lounges and Dick's Bar.

The club would also like to remind all fans that the consumption of food and drink not purchased at the Amex is not permitted in these locations.

Chief Executive Paul Barber commented, “The 1901 Club lounges and Dick’s Bar offer a wide range of food and beverages, and in line with other restaurants and bars, we do not allow the consumption of food and drink purchased off-site.

“Of course, there are some very rare exceptions, some of which we are aware, due to medical issues, and with our permission, we would make concessions in light of such issues; but we would ask fans to contact our supporter services team to seek further guidance.”

If you have any queries relating to the above matter, please do contact the 1901 Club team or Supporter Services.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
All this was stated very clearly in a mail from the club this morning

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There was and email from the Club/Barber about this sort of thing yesterday, but it only mentioned the lounges/1901. Perhaps some clarification is required.

now that makes more sense and why some clarification is needed.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
We tried to bring a metal water bottle in today and were told the same thing. Like many, we are trying to reduce single use plastics and don’t want to buy plastic water bottles at any event if we can avoid it. Seems a shame if those of us that care about reducing the use of plastics are going to be penalised simply because the club wants to maximise its alcohol sales.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
All this was stated very clearly in a mail from the club this morning

Email to whom? I haven't seen one, and I don't believe there is anything on the web site.

I hope this isn't just a greed grab hiding behind flimsy excuses. That seems unlikely as the number of flasks must be few.

On a freezing January day we would take a flask for half time. The chances of seeing all the football, walking slowly with a stick for a pee and a tea, and being back for kick off, are nil.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not it wasn't. It only mentioned 1901/Dick's Bar.

I would also guess that not everyone reads club emails.

I will eat humble pie, you are correct it does state specific areas.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Must be the whole ground, why would only 1901 members be penalised?

Don’t Sodexo have a contract that covers the whole ground (if this is the reason)?

Feels a bit pathetic to me, we were also advised no sweets!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Email to whom? I haven't seen one, and I don't believe there is anything on the web site.

I hope this isn't just a greed grab hiding behind flimsy excuses. That seems unlikely as the number of flasks must be few.

On a freezing January day we would take a flask for half time. The chances of seeing all the football, walking slowly with a stick for a pee and a tea, and being back for kick off, are nil.

Mail arrived this morning:

Brighton & Hove Albion are advising fans that only food and drink purchased at the stadium may be consumed in the 1901 Club lounges and Dick's Bar.

The club would also like to remind all fans that the consumption of food and drink not purchased at the Amex is not permitted in these locations.

Chief Executive Paul Barber commented, “The 1901 Club lounges and Dick’s Bar offer a wide range of food and beverages, and in line with other restaurants and bars, we do not allow the consumption of food and drink purchased off-site.

“Of course, there are some very rare exceptions, some of which we are aware, due to medical issues, and with our permission, we would make concessions in light of such issues; but we would ask fans to contact our supporter services team to seek further guidance.”

If you have any queries relating to the above matter, please do contact the 1901 Club team or Supporter Services.

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
You know your old when you start bringing flasks to football, it won't be long until people start bringing blankets and slippers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here