Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
This smacks of penny pinching and "computer says no". Disappointing but hardly surprising.

For once I don't think it is penny pinching. I can't believe that PB is not aware of how busy each bar is at half time and that he thinks there is spare capacity to sell the extra hot drinks

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
PB’s prompt and detailed reply to my email (with his permission)

Our decision not to allow flasks, (glass or metal bottles) in to the stadium from the Fulham match onwards has been taken for safety and security reasons. We regularly review all of our security procedures and this new policy is in line with many other football stadia, including that of yesterday's visitors. Other stadia have already taken steps to stop bags, laptops and other items of luggage being brought in to the stadium - frankly, this an ongoing process to mitigate risk and eliminate it where it is possible or practical to do so.

We are regularly told that not all of our supporters receive or read electronic communications from the club so we decided to communicate directly with as many supporters as possible, particularly those carrying flasks to yesterday's game, so that that as many fans as possible received the information ahead of our next home game. We will reinforce this face to face communication with further information through the club's website and social media channels leading up to the Fulham game when the new policy will be fully implemented.

We communicated the decision directly to 1901 club members separately as, in addition to safety and security concerns in the stadium bowl, the issue was more general - that of small numbers of people consuming food and drink not purchased from the club in the lounge areas, including Dick's Bar (which has a regular clientele). This has never been permitted at the Amex - and it isn’t a practice allowed in the vast majority of other sports and entertainment arenas, restaurants or bars anywhere. I think most people are familiar with such a policy.

Finally, please be assured that the club's finances will not be transformed by expecting people to purchase their hot drinks from us! Suggestions that our decision to prevent flasks being brought in to the stadium as being financially driven are utter nonsense. The club has a responsibility to ensure the safest possible environment for all supporters. We are well aware that, for most fans, a flask is a means of bringing a hot drink to the game. Sadly, in the current environment, others may use such items in a different way. Our job is to limit, minimise and, ideally, eliminate as many risks as we can.

Regards, Paul

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
For once I don't think it is penny pinching. I can't believe that PB is not aware of how busy each bar is at half time and that he thinks there is spare capacity to sell the extra hot drinks

I agree with this. The turnover from half time refreshments is limited by the 15 minutes that they have to sell, not by the number of fans that want to buy something. It’s most likely to do with a safety review.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009

Our decision not to allow flasks, (glass or metal bottles) in to the stadium from the Fulham match onwards has been taken for safety and security reasons. We regularly review all of our security procedures and this new policy is in line with many other football stadia, including that of yesterday's visitors. Other stadia have already taken steps to stop bags, laptops and other items of luggage being brought in to the stadium - frankly, this an ongoing process to mitigate risk and eliminate it where it is possible or practical to do so.

We are regularly told that not all of our supporters receive or read electronic communications from the club so we decided to communicate directly with as many supporters as possible, particularly those carrying flasks to yesterday's game, so that that as many fans as possible received the information ahead of our next home game. We will reinforce this face to face communication with further information through the club's website and social media channels leading up to the Fulham game when the new policy will be fully implemented.

We communicated the decision directly to 1901 club members separately as, in addition to safety and security concerns in the stadium bowl, the issue was more general - that of small numbers of people consuming food and drink not purchased from the club in the lounge areas, including Dick's Bar (which has a regular clientele). This has never been permitted at the Amex - and it isn’t a practice allowed in the vast majority of other sports and entertainment arenas, restaurants or bars anywhere. I think most people are familiar with such a policy.

Finally, please be assured that the club's finances will not be transformed by expecting people to purchase their hot drinks from us! Suggestions that our decision to prevent flasks being brought in to the stadium as being financially driven are utter nonsense. The club has a responsibility to ensure the safest possible environment for all supporters. We are well aware that, for most fans, a flask is a means of bringing a hot drink to the game. Sadly, in the current environment, others may use such items in a different way. Our job is to limit, minimise and, ideally, eliminate as many risks as we can.

Regards, Paul

A similar answer to my suggestion to lower hot drink prices lol

Thank you for your further email. Far from being “exorbitant”, our pricing for hot drinks is in line with and, in many cases, is lower than other major venues. Of course we are a business – and we look to generate income for our club – but, based on my experience this morning, our hot drinks are, in fact, cheaper than branches of well-known high street coffee shops throughout the city, which, again based on my experience, are populated by people of all ages, including older people, at all times.

Regardless, and as I have already explained, our decision not to allow flasks in to the Amex has been made on safety and security grounds. We have a responsibility to provide the safest possible environment for 30,000 people visiting our stadium for each home match, and we will take any necessary decisions to ensure this as best we can rather than our decision making being driven by any desire to force people to buy hot drinks which I can assure you will not transform our club’s finances! Such a suggestion is absolute nonsense.

Finally, having watched football up and down this country, and all over the world for more than 40 years – as much as a fan as someone who works in the game – I’ve seen first-hand how fans have adapted to the very many security-driven changes brought about by the environment we now live in. Of all that I have seen, and whilst I appreciate that it will still be inconvenient and inconvenient for some, I would hope that a ban on flasks, glass and metal bottles being brought in to stadium will be a very minor inconvenience for a safer and more secure stadium environment.

Regards, Paul

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
He's been busy with his emails this morning. Half tempted to fire one off myself. :moo:

Question is, is a mug a mug or a flask?

813NqnPjAUL._SL1500_.jpg

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
He's been busy with his emails this morning. Half tempted to fire one off myself. :moo:

813NqnPjAUL._SL1500_.jpg

Good one. Is it plastic? Therefore doesn't conform with..."we will not be permitting flasks, metal or glass containers in to the stadium for safety and security reasons".

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

813NqnPjAUL._SL1500_.jpg

That is categorically not a flask. A flask is usually metal. Mr Barber needs to be more specific if not as his emails state flasks or metal containers. Not plastic containers.

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
We have been taking a flask during and since the Withdean days, having sampled the urine that gets served as tea and/or coffee from the kiosks at the Amex, we will not be purchasing any more.

What will they do if you do take a flask? Put a note with your name on it so you can collect from a wall outside the stadium after the match or ban you from the game completely? No mention yesterday from the WSL stewards of an incoming ban.

We have had to open flasks at the Amex to prove we are not smuggling in alcohol, and I’m sure there is a minority who probably do smuggle in alcohol in a flask. To ban flasks completely is pure stupidity.

Can I still take in a Mars bar for half-time or is that a dangerous weapon now?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

It's a flask. A mug is someone who used to take a flask to a football match but now has to buy their hot drink from the caterers inside the ground...........................

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Regards, Paul

Next will be belts, shoes, hair grips, rings, necklaces, earrings.

Isn't it a shame that the albion produce one of their finest ever performances and this sort of complete overkill shitehouse comes out of the club.

They really have no idea on how to deal with their customers.

How am I going to get my baileys on the rocks into the ground now if they take away my flask?

Pathetic

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Our decision not to allow flasks, (glass or metal bottles) in to the stadium from the Fulham match onwards has been taken for safety and security reasons.

No, still not convinced it's a viable risk. Yes, it would be possible to put explosives into a flask - it's possible to put them almost anywhere these days - they can be concealed in, or disguised as, say, fountain pens, or the heel of a shoe -and don't get me started on how much harm an innocent looking asthma inhaler could do if loaded with Novichok or Sarin! Yes, there is the tiniest risk - so is being struck by lightning - but you can't completely eliminate everything. A balance needs to be struck - and the balance in this case brings the whole concept of Health and Safety into disrepute (which is not a good thing to do; real Health and Safety is important!)

And as for the excuse that other clubs do it - aren't we supposed to be proud of being a bit different, a real community club?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Yep told the same...personally only take a flask of bovril into the stadium maybe twice a year...so not really much of an impact...I was told though that if I put some bovril from a jar into a plastic cup then I could ask for some boiling water ....hmmmm

I thought cafes refused giving people hot water for insurance reasons?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here