Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I emailed Paul Barber this morning and he confirmed that flasks aren’t allowed from Fulham onwards. (I like bringing a flask of hot chocolate from time to time - well I’m getting on a bit. So was interested to know. Oh well)

What was the reason?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Looks like greed to me too.

Perhaps we should have a poll tough. Which line will the club trot out?
a). 'Improving the matchday experience', or
b). elfin safety?

Judging by the stewards I spoke to it'll be health and safety. Three of them trotted out the line 'it's for safety reasons' but could not explain what those reasons were.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Looks like greed to me too.

Perhaps we should have a poll tough. Which line will the club trot out?
a). 'Improving the matchday experience', or
b). elfin safety?
They will mention that it is the few deviants who as usual ruin it for the good guys.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have asked for clarification of the ruling and possibly the reasons behind it in Ask The Club it will be interesting to read Insiders reply. I always take a n egg mayo sandwich for my self and brother in law for half time as neither of us like the food on offer ie pie or hotdog. Will they also be banned.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I hope they don't ban food, otherwise my son, who is coeliac, will not be able to get anything (except maybe a bag of Starburst).

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I emailed Paul Barber this morning and he confirmed that flasks aren’t allowed from Fulham onwards. (I like bringing a flask of hot chocolate from time to time - well I’m getting on a bit. So was interested to know. Oh well)

And have others have asked what was the reason/s

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Barber is such a **** sometimes. Banning flasks ffs. People, particularly (but not exclusively) oldies have been taking flasks since the Goldstone days. To ban them is ridiculous.

Plus, the hot water pouring at The Amex is PAINFULLY slow compared to that of a pint and will just mean less people can get served at half time.

Sometimes you really do wonder where the greed will stop.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
My dad will turn 80 this season and has been watching the Albion since 1946.
He was also told yesterday he can’t bring his flask in again. Having watched the Albion at The Goldstone, Gillingham, Withdean and now the Amex he said he can’t remember a match he didn’t take his flask to (and in the 46 years I’ve been going with him I’ve never not known him have his half-time hot drink refreshment). He cetainly won’t be able to queue for a cuppa at half time - why take this away from a generation of fans (many of who are the lifeblood of the club) for whome their flask is as much of a matchday tradition as anything?
Poor decision from the club - I hope Paul Barber is reading this?

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
If they are worried that a flask could be used as a missile, just look at the general cross section of people taking them in...

And think of those that do take them in, quite a few elderly who do not want to have to leave their seat and join a concourse scrum at half time.

As for the argument of smuggling in alcohol - can you really see hardened drinkers coming to the game with one of these?

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 10.09.18.png

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
This really needs rethinking as it effects mainly older people who will have difficulty getting a drink at halftime in the scrum that happens on the concourse, looks like a financial decision to eek out a few extra bob for the club, and does not reflect well on a club that rightly prides itself as a community club. Needs a rethink from however made this decision as it's coming across like using a sledgehammer to break open a nut, or someone seeing a problem that does not exist.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Ridiculous - The tea at the amex is crap and as a certified Englishman it is my right to have a decent cup of tea. That entails a flask. A bloody Thermos!

Who would of thought that you could be refused entry to a Football match because you brought a flask with you.

At my local Bostik Premier league ground, I can have a pint while sitting in the stands, wander down the coop at half time and get a meal deal plus smoke near the toilets if I was that way inclined. And I bet I could take a flask in with me - possibly even a pot noodle.

There has never, as I am aware has been any fatalities or injuries on any occasion I have been present.

So don't play the Health and Safety card with me, I won't have it.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
If it is for Health & Safety reasons why wasn't it introduced during the close season rather than 2-3 matches in? Surely they would have carried out a risk assessment?

I emailed PB this morning suggesting they reduce the cost of hot drinks. No reply as yet.

Oh I wish he would spend a full match with the fans, queuing to get in, half hearted pat down, queuing for the bogs and getting his shoes wet, queuing for a luke warm drink. He hasn't got a clue.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's a shame, but it's the way of the world that greed can get away with things like this. Back in the day (yeh, yeh I know!) something like this would have been met by 20,000 people turning up to the next match, all with flasks - basically saying to the bean-counters, 'What are you going to do now, then?' That, and/or a complete one match boycott of the catering facilities.
The boycott would probably work today, but we have become such a nation of sheep that we're used to being fleeced, and will just moan a bit, then shuffle meekly along and pay up anyway. All for the price of an hour or two of Dunk or Knocky's wages. Won't be druv my ****.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here