Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
To be fair that is a joke too. It is as half hearted as you could possibly get!

Maybe it depends on what you look like, but each time I’ve had my phone charger in my jacket pocket they’ve asked me to take it out to check what it is, so they’re obviously doing something. And it’s worth remembering that it was a security check that prevented suicide bombers from getting inside the gates at the Stade de France back in November 2015.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Apart from the security issues this is mainly about people bringing in alcohol to drink in view of the pitch which the club legally cannot tolerate. Those that have repeatedly done this are the ones that deserve blame here. Can people really not go without alcohol for more than 45 minutes? (I know, I know)

I went to the last England v Scotland game some years ago at the old Wembley, when alcohol was banned, and you have never seen so many people eating oranges that were impregnated with vodka.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Maybe it depends on what you look like, but each time I’ve had my phone charger in my jacket pocket they’ve asked me to take it out to check what it is, so they’re obviously doing something. And it’s worth remembering that it was a security check that prevented suicide bombers from getting inside the gates at the Stade de France back in November 2015.

That may well be so but why wait until 1st September to implement it why was it not done from mid July.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
He is the answer given by Insider to my question on Ask The Club

Our decision not to allow flasks, (glass or metal bottles) in to the stadium from the Fulham match onwards has been taken for safety and security reasons. We regularly review all of our security procedures and this new policy is in line with many other football stadia, including that of yesterday's visitors. Other stadia have already taken steps to stop bags, laptops and other items of luggage being brought in to the stadium - frankly, this an ongoing process to mitigate risk and eliminate it where it is possible or practical to do so.

We are regularly told that not all of our supporters receive or read electronic communications from the club so we decided to communicate directly with as many supporters as possible, particularly those carrying flasks to yesterday's game, so that that as many fans as possible received the information ahead of our next home game. We will reinforce this face to face communication with further information through the club's website and social media channels leading up to the Fulham game when the new policy will be fully implemented.

We communicated the decision directly to 1901 club members separately as, in addition to safety and security concerns in the stadium bowl, the issue was more general - that of small numbers of people consuming food and drink not purchased from the club in the lounge areas, including Dick's Bar (which has a regular clientele). This has never been permitted at the Amex - and it isn’t a practice allowed in the vast majority of other sports and entertainment arenas, restaurants or bars anywhere. I think most people are familiar with such a policy.

Finally, please be assured that the club's finances will not be transformed by expecting people to purchase their hot drinks from us! Suggestions that our decision to prevent flasks being brought in to the stadium as being financially driven are utter nonsense. The club has a responsibility to ensure the safest possible environment for all supporters. We are well aware that, for most fans, a flask is a means of bringing a hot drink to the game. Sadly, in the current environment, others may use such items in a different way. Our job is to limit, minimise and, ideally, eliminate as many risks as we can.

Security being the answer given why was it not communicated during the summer off season and brought into force for the first game at The Amex being the friendly.v FC Nantes

Assume then that plastic water bottles are still OK to be taken into the " stadium bowl " area .?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Received the same to my complaint/comments. I have asked them to clarify the position re plastic thermos as glass and metal are taboo. Health and safety my a*se!

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
From Ben's Grandad's post...It seems that is hard objects that are banned . So food in paper wrapping , the old " brown bags" would be o k . Drinks in plastic bottle ought to be o k. It does rule out hot drinks though.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Ridiculous. “Other clubs do it” is a lazy excuse. Have stewards check the contents of flasks on the turnstiles to ensure there’s nothing malicious inside. I’m no bomb expert, but can one be disguised as a cup of tea? A flask of hot, tea coloured liquid that smells like tea is probably tea. If they’re worried flasks will be thrown as missiles, then why are coins and mobiles allowed? I’ve never brought a flask to the Amex myself, but I know a fair few people around my seat who regularly do. Feel bad for the elderly during the cold winter night games who either miss out on a hot drink, or have to join the half time beverage scrum (which is already overcrowded).

Last edited:

Dirty Dave

Aug 28, 2006
Worthing
It's interesting that the reasoning behind this is security reasons. But it fascinates me the such minor checks they do on people entering the stadium, it's hardly worth while. I mean, it's such a quick pat down, you could have anything on you that would get missed. I do of course appreciate there are 30k people entering the ground though.

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
For Christ sake people. It is not impossible to build a thermo nuclear device the size of a flask. Be vigilant folk because they are out to bomb us the b..astard s.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
From Ben's Grandad's post...It seems that is hard objects that are banned . So food in paper wrapping , the old " brown bags" would be o k . Drinks in plastic bottle ought to be o k. It does rule out hot drinks though.

I keep thinking there must be a decent plastic thermos?

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Tea is the same, and the food on sale indigestible. I would buy sandwiches as I need the sustenance after the long train ride. What supermarkets sell as cold snacks would suit me

Questionnaire asked if fans took in their own food,

I think grub is necessary to keep energy levels up (health reasons). Their burgers are more an endurance test than melt in your mouth, thinking I had broken my tooth. Soggy pastry pies were horrid as well. Better catering in the North than the Lower East. Stay away from the dried out hot dogs in a stale roll.

Soup would be a boon on a cold day.

After spending £30 on petrol I don't want to spend more money on lukewarm pi@@water. (£2.45 i think it was per cup)

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I'm in the anti PB camp on this one. I've never even considered taking a flask to a game but I get that old people who want a nice hot drink or some warming soup during the match are getting screwed by this daft rule.

"Safety reasons" are used for everything these days and most of it is bollocks. As others have said, what next?

"First they came for the doddering tea drinkers and I did not speak out because I'm not a doddering tea drinker....".

However, I do find it amusing that some of those up in arms about flaskgate will be the same people who say "Why can't you go a couple of hours without a beer? I go to watch the football etc". Well why can't you go a couple of hours without a cup of tea? Massive hypocrisy.

Anyway, as long as plastic water bottles are still allowed, getting absolutely smashed all game on vodka and diet coke will still be easy.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just looking at the reaction on here to a gradual implementation of this rule should tell you why.

That should have no baring on the argument if it was for safety reasons it should have just been implemented with no consultation with supporters who would just have had to grin and bare it, as they must do now.,

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
For Christ sake people. It is not impossible to build a thermo nuclear device the size of a flask. Be vigilant folk because they are out to bomb us the b..astard s.

I see you've had my wife's mulligatawny soup*

*not a euphamism

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here