Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Away team selection/tactics

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Has to be discussed again, doesn't it?
Another great performance at home. Feels like we've nailed it at the Amex now. But you wonder, how well might we do if we can do something about our away form?

Surely we need to try something else, take a risk? Most obviously, Jose's pace will help. Murray and Gross definitely play better at home, might they be swapped for AN Other?
Or do we just hope things turn around?

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Really baffling to me how we are SO good at home but SO bad away with the same players.
It's 11v11 so I don't get why it makes so much difference.

Home support, being used to playing at a particular venue, psychology, tactics employed by both teams, etc. It makes sense there should be a difference, although perhaps not the extent of the difference that we see!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Really baffling to me how we are SO good at home but SO bad away with the same players.
It's 11v11 so I don't get why it makes so much difference.

I really don't get it either.
I fully understand that you may have to tweak tactics depending on who you are playing, but why can't we play the same side and say just get out there and do what you did last week.
Is it just a mental thing because;
It is the same rectangular piece of grass with the same markings and same size goals.
They get luxury travel and luxury hotels.
The same treatment and warm up procedure.
Very good dressing rooms.
Does playing in front of a hostile crowd really make that much of a difference.
If you play well you will silence them anyway and we have decent away support for them to play up to.
I have never understood the need to totally change the way you play away from home or under perform if you are very good at home.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
I really don't get it either.
I fully understand that you may have to tweak tactics depending on who you are playing, but why can't we play the same side and say just get out there and do what you did last week.
Is it just a mental thing because;
It is the same rectangular piece of grass with the same markings and same size goals.
They get luxury travel and luxury hotels.
The same treatment and warm up procedure.
Very good dressing rooms.
Does playing in front of a hostile crowd really make that much of a difference.
If you play well you will silence them anyway and we have decent away support for them to play up to.
I have never understood the need to totally change the way you play away from home or under perform if you are very good at home.
All very fair comments. Only conclusion is that The Amex crowd has a massive positive effect - creating a bigger home/away difference than most clubs - who'd have thunk it...?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Think that's one of the reasons Andone, Jahanbakhsh and Bissouma have been bought.

When these three eventually do start and a focus is placed on pace and attacking away from home, we could see some fruitful results.

The main issue away from home is that when the ball is pumped forward to Glenn Murray, there is no one close enough to him for an attack to be effective. The main reason for this is that the two wingers are too reliant on protecting the FB’s. With Montoya at the helm now, AK’s defensive duties should be lessened somewhat (in theory).

Still think we need 3 in the middle away from home (Bissouma, Propper, Stephens). Can’t think of one away game last season where our centre mid bossed the opposition like they did at home to United today. West Ham at the Olympic Stadium perhaps but that’s about it.

Our starting eleven is more than capable and good enough - only four home losses all season tells you that. It’s the set up away from home that is killing us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
When these three eventually do start and a focus is placed on pace and attacking away from home, we could see some fruitful results.

The main issue away from home is that when the ball is pumped forward to Glenn Murray, there is no one close enough to him for an attack to be effective. The main reason for this is that the two wingers are too reliant on protecting the FB’s. With Montoya at the helm now, AK’s defensive duties should be lessened somewhat (in theory).

Still think we need 3 in the middle away from home (Bissouma, Propper, Stephens). Can’t think of one away game last season where our centre mid bossed the opposition like they did at home to United today. West Ham at the Olympic Stadium perhaps but that’s about it.

Our starting eleven is more than capable and good enough - only four home losses all season tells you that. It’s the set up away from home that is killing us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't disagree but I am stunned it makes so much difference. Same players home and away. Same tactics yet they look world beaters at home and league one away!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If SCH can get our away form right - and I believe he has the squad to do that - we could be finishing in the top half and genuinely challenging for cup trophies.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The away form is unlikely to be as good as our home form. If it was we would be challenging for a top 6 finish. We need to have 4/5 sides we can beat away from home and play them with the same intensity and tempo we would do at the Amex. Too often when away we sit and soak up pressure then hit it long to the lone figure if Murray. We need support closer to him or to pass it about and gain territory before passing to him otherwise we just lose possession over and over again

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
We may have the same team away from home but we certainly set up differently.

Both wingers are always much narrower which although makes us difficult to break down will also restrict our attacking capability. I think this leaves us very much on the back foot. We also tend to press differently away from home, with just Murray and Gross putting the pressure on and the rest falling into two banks of 4.

I think we need to either play to our strengths and stretch the play with our wingers away from home or if we want to set up narrow then sacrifice a winger for a central midfielder. We also need someone with more pace than Murray or Gross to press the opposing back 4

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here