Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Chichester

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Chichester - no character - oh dear on that post.

Yep nothing to see and forget Bosham, Fishbourne on its doorstep, sailing from the harbour and the motor circuit and racing on the Goodwood Estate, some connection to the Romans and yep no Character

Here's a bit of reading for you ..... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichester

I don't think you've quite understood what the word character means in this context grandad. If I want to be bored to death there are plenty of other options already around rural Sussex.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Got no CHARACTER though does it? You biege oldies are welcome to it. :bigwave:

Depends a lot on what you mean by character. If you mean tattoo parlours on every street, homeless people in every doorway, chavs everywhere, then no, I guess Chichester does lack a bit of "character". And all the better for it.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Depends a lot on what you mean by character. If you mean tattoo parlours on every street, homeless people in every doorway, chavs everywhere, then no, I guess Chichester does lack a bit of "character". And all the better for it.

Yes but it's full of not-very-bright racists, as attested by people such as yourself and LVGull singing the praises of 'Chi'... Who am I to say which of those 2 rather undesirable options is the superior one?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yes but it's full of not-very-bright racists, as attested by people such as yourself and LVGull singing the praises of 'Chi'... Who am I to say which of those 2 rather undesirable options is the superior one?
2 people who may or may not be very bright or racist makes a whole town full of not very bright racists.

Well done.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
I had the pleasure of visiting Chichester on Friday afternoon/evening, and what a very real pleasure it was. A very nice town centre with plenty of non-chain shops, and, what was really uplifting, good looking well-dressed people everywhere. It was almost as though I'd stepped back to an earlier age when people took care with their appearance and how they dressed. Hardly a tattoo, a piercing, or a pair of ripped jeans to be seen.

Compared to scummy Brighton it was like another world, and a very nice one too.

I think you must have gone somewhere else?
I went in March on a daytrip and, though perfectly pleasant, it is the most chainy place I've been in some time.

You can't moan about Brighton being full oh hipsters and then ignore all the independent enteriprises there are here. None of which you'd find in Chichester.

If you want somewhere without chains, try Rye.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Some interesting thoughts on this thread. So can I clarify, if you like Chichester you are quite possibly a racist?

A list of town racists dislike would be illuminating. I expect some pigeon holing on it.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
'Chi' what the hell is 'Chi'.
Chichester will always remain a horrible place until they sort out those roundabouts that stop me driving through it with ease in either direction.
When I drive to Brighton my first stop is often Chichester.
If I was to pop in somewhere en route it would be Arundel or Winchester.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Big fan of Chi, spend a fair bit of time there, went to college there too.

It's not great for nightlife as it used to be, but then it was only Thursdays nightclub which was dodgy at best and was in a ridiculous place in the middle of nowhere. The Duke & Rye has a lot of character for a converted bar and the Fountain has some good live music on.

It's not perfect, but its alright for a night out.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I had the pleasure of visiting Chichester on Friday afternoon/evening, and what a very real pleasure it was. A very nice town centre with plenty of non-chain shops, and, what was really uplifting, good looking well-dressed people everywhere. It was almost as though I'd stepped back to an earlier age when people took care with their appearance and how they dressed. Hardly a tattoo, a piercing, or a pair of ripped jeans to be seen.

Compared to scummy Brighton it was like another world, and a very nice one too.
Spot on as I've mentioned this loads of times....Brighton sadly is a dump and attracts all the wrong types and they're so bloody scruffy it's unreal.
Brighton is a shitehole because it attracts all these hippy liberal types,students and more....:glare:
It's getting worse and will get worse:nono:

D

Deleted member 2719

Chi is class, been here for 15 years now and the facilities are spot on, the crime rate is low and the dogs even sh*t in the rough.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The only time I've been to Chichester a car full of teenagers pulled up and pelted my companions and I with eggs. Have hated the place ever since.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I think you must have gone somewhere else?
I went in March on a daytrip and, though perfectly pleasant, it is the most chainy place I've been in some time.

You can't moan about Brighton being full oh hipsters and then ignore all the independent enteriprises there are here. None of which you'd find in Chichester.

If you want somewhere without chains, try Rye.

This is correct. The small independents are being squeezed out by the proliferation of chains and extortionate business rates. I've lived here for 15 years, and like doing so, but I've always described it as being 'Daily Mail nice'.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Spot on as I've mentioned this loads of times....Brighton sadly is a dump and attracts all the wrong types and they're so bloody scruffy it's unreal.
Brighton is a shitehole because it attracts all these hippy liberal types,students and more....:glare:
It's getting worse and will get worse:nono:

If it keeps people like you away from the city then it’s doing a good job imo

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I don't know much about Chichester so I can't really comment, but it's nearby neighbour Selsey had some interesting characters when I worked there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here