Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Manchester United *** Official Match Thread ***

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
attachment.php
attachment.php

Brighton v Man Utd

PREMIER LEAGUE

Venue: The American Express Community Stadium
Date: Sunday 19th August 2018
Kick-off: 16:00 BST
Referee: Kevin Friend
Assistants: Stuart Burt, Matthew Wilkes
Fourth official: Graham Scott

TEAM NEWS

Brighton began with just one of their summer signings in their starting line-up at Watford but may make changes after a disappointing 2-0 defeat.

Yves Bissouma and Alireza Jahanbakhsh both featured as a substitute and could be promoted to the starting line-up.

Veteran right-back Bruno was forced off at Vicarage Road through injury and joins Florin Andone on the sidelines.

Romelu Lukaku could return to the Manchester United team after beginning their opening game on the bench.

Jesse Lingard, Nemanja Matic and Antonio Valencia are all back in training but will not be considered for selection.

Valencia's absence means Paul Pogba will continue as captain.

MOTD COMMENTATOR'S NOTES

Jonathan Pearce: Brighton's 1-0 win over United in May came through the cohesive spirit and buoyant optimism that characterised their season. Conversely, Jose Mourinho's post-match criticism of his players typified the disgruntled, divisive mood that seems to have festered on.

But that victory is Brighton's only success in 11 league and cup games. They were disturbingly poor at Watford.

The Seagulls took four matches to land their first Premier League win last term and with Liverpool to come, it might take them as long again this time round. New signings need to hit the ground running.

Mourinho's body language camouflaged a patchy win over Leicester and raised questions about his long-term future. But results change everything. I can see United making it two opening wins from two for the fourth season running.

WHAT THE MANAGERS SAY

Brighton manager Chris Hughton: "The last game against them was our last one at home and our fans will rightly remember it.

"The supporters have been excellent and we know they'll be great again this weekend."

Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho on Paul Pogba: "The truth is we are together for two years and a couple of weeks, and I've never been so happy with him as I am now.

"That's the truth. I cannot demand more from him, I cannot ask more from him."

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head

• [*=left]Brighton have won their last two home league games against Manchester United, with these games (in 1982 and 2018) almost 36 years apart.
    [*=left]United's last win away to Brighton came in April 1982, with the late Ray Wilkins scoring the only goal.
Brighton

• [*=left]The Seagulls have only won one of their last 10 league games (11 in all competitions), with that victory coming against Manchester United in May.
    [*=left]Brighton had the eighth best home record in the Premier League last season (W7, D8, L4).
    [*=left]They have won their opening home fixture in only one of their five previous top-flight campaigns (D1, L3), a 2-0 victory against Wolves in 1980.
    [*=left]Pascal Gross has had a hand in six goals in his last seven Premier League games at the Amex Stadium (three goals and three assists).
    [*=left]Glenn Murray could make his 200th league appearance for the club.
Man Utd

• [*=left]Manchester United did not score in their last two away league games of 2017-18, including a 1-0 defeat at Brighton. It is 13 years since they failed to score in three consecutive away league matches.
    [*=left]United have scored a Premier League goal at 56 of the 58 different stadiums they have played at, with the only exceptions the Amex Stadium and Wembley Stadium.
    [*=left]Alexis Sanchez has not scored a Premier League away goal since netting twice in Arsenal's 3-2 win at Crystal Palace on 28 December 2017.
    [*=left]Paul Pogba has scored in 11 Premier League games and ended on the winning side in all of them - a joint-record he shares with former Liverpool player Ryan Babel.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Four of the new signings to start this time? AJ, Bissouma, Bernado (LB, not RB, please), Montoya. Will Chris make as many as 3 changes to the starting 11 v Watford?

If we play like we did at Vicarage Road, we’ll get absolutely stuffed. We can’t be that bad again, especially at home, surely?

UTA.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
I think the plus point is no one including Albion fans are expecting a home win which means we should not end up crying in our beer ... on the other hand anything but defeat and we will feel a hell of a lot better ... kind of a no win win situation ... ???

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Hmmmmm I'm not feeling very confident, but I'm still hoping for a point :/ anything more would be a massive result and, well, a surprise frankly.

Really; I can only ask for desire and effort, something sorely lacking at Watford.

Here's hoping for some positives in spite of the result.

Let's give it a sodding go :)

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Expect nothing, hope and cheer for everything.

PS Most of the away fans will still be in bed right now!

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Naylor's tweeted that it's a flag day. My expectation for the result has suddenly lowered.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I shall be looking out for those overpaid megastars emerging from the Malmaison Hotel down here (as last time), to board the team bus fortified by a heavy lunch and inspirational talk from legendary motivational speaker, Jose Mourinho.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
So excited

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Free hit really. Just hope the performance is much better at home and the new player that may come in step up to the plate.

Got a horrible feeling it will be 0 - 3/4.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011
My son has just found out he can’t go so has given it back to club should be listed WSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
I’ve just found out I can’t go and have released my ticket back to the club if anyone is looking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here