Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England v India. Third Test. 18-22 Aug. Trent Bridge. (Curran dropped for Stokes).

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Would love to see an old fashioned, digging in performance. I very much doubt that I will though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would love to see an old fashioned, digging in performance. I very much doubt that I will though.

I dont think that we have the batsmen to do it they will either go for it and a couple of them get tons or get beat tomorrow. Our best hope for avoiding defeat is 2 days of continuous rain.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
If, by some colossal freak, we batted out two days, we’d win. 170-180 overs left.........comfortably less than 3 an over. Fact is, we’ll do well to make teatime tomorrow I reckon.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Keaton Jennings has had enough chances now. He's simply not good enough, time to give somebody else a chance - starting with that Surrey opener who has impressed in the County Championship.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Problems with England batting have started at the Top since Strauss retired and Cook appears to be in terminal decline. Root is brilliant but cannot do it all by himself, especially now he is Captain as well. The dashers in the Middle order are fine if we are 200-2 but hopeless if, as it often is, we are 45-3.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah I'm done with Jennings too, especially as he is another left hander. I really think a left/right combination at the top of the order is important is test cricket.

I still think Hales should be up there.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
All the oldies on here will remember that some years ago we were in a similar position, I think that it was against Australia but I could be mixed up, and Peter May and Colin Cowdrey scored 480 or so to win us the game. I think May got 285 and Cowdrey about 180 So all is not lost yet.
That was when we had batsmen who knew when to leave a ball and not try to hit everything for 6.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If, by some colossal freak, we batted out two days, we’d win. 170-180 overs left.........comfortably less than 3 an over. Fact is, we’ll do well to make teatime today I reckon.

Corrected for you:)

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Root AND Pope gone, wheel loose just after Lunch. As there is no chance of saving this Match I wouldn't risk Bairstow this afternoon.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There must be a batsmen about who can build an innings not just throw his wicket away chasing runs like it was T20 game. Limited overs the ruination of proper cricket.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Jennings has to be ditched after another failure, he's done worse than others like Hales and Stoneman who were dropped before him - they had higher batting averages.

I really don't like his technique either. Burns is next cab off the rank.

I also think Bayliss manager position and the Thorpe / Ramprakash batting coach positions have to come under the microscope. Notwithstanding the Curran decision, we're routinely getting spanked away from home, the batting collapses are getting worryingly predictable and we're getting through the "cream" of England's batting stock like a fruitless Somme offensive.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Another absolute shambles from England, I have no idea how we're winning this series. An absolute disgrace, the batsmen particularly should hang their heads in shame, I'd drop all of them for the next match and give the gullable fools who've paid £100+ to go and watch a day their money back.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Drop Jennings and try Bairstow as an opener.in test matches like he does in village green cricket. Another answer of course is to ask Trescothick to come out of retirement for 2 tests like they did Brian Close many years ago. We also had an opener crisis so asked Rev David Shepherd, who was not playing cricket, to come out of retirement and open for us which he did successfully but as they say form is temporary class is permanent

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Drop Jennings and try Bairstow as an opener.in test matches like he does in village green cricket. Another answer of course is to ask Trescothick to come out of retirement for 2 tests like they did Brian Close many years ago. We also had an opener crisis so asked Rev David Shepherd, who was not playing cricket, to come out of retirement and open for us which he did successfully but as they say form is temporary class is permanent

Three or four posts ago, you said 'limited overs the ruination of proper cricket'. Now you're suggesting we try something that we do in limited overs crickets to try and sort this mess out. Make your mind up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Three or four posts ago, you said 'limited overs the ruination of proper cricket'. Now you're suggesting we try something that we do in limited overs crickets to try and sort this mess out. Make your mind up.

Not quite as I am saying he is capable in village green games and also has done it for Yorkshire I think so it would have been a better option than dropping Curran and even now may be a better option for the next test. I stand by my original suggestion ask Trescothick to come back for the last 2 tests as all of our batsmen seem to be playing as T20 batsman.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not quite as I am saying he is capable in village green games and also has done it for Yorkshire I think so it would have been a better option than dropping Curran and even now may be a better option for the next test. I stand by my original suggestion ask Trescothick to come back for the last 2 tests as all of our batsmen seem to be playing as T20 batsman.

One century and 2 50s this season, and he's 42. Wouldn't hold your breath.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here