Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] BA

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
If you are not overly bothered just wait till check in.

You can get some amazing deals, seen $100 Vegas - LGW.

Plenty of websites around you can check the availability for your flight and make the call.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I only fly in Business Class but I'd say Premium Economy is ok and much better than Economy

BA business class is seriously shit these days. Same old coffin seats they’ve had since Noah was a boy, ridiculous seats where you have to step over the aisle seat bed on night flights if you have a window seat. I will make the effort to use another airline if they fly the route from hereon. I was shocked to see that they still have those crap seats and configurations on the flagship A380, and boy do they pack those seats in these days.

If ever an airline was living in the past whilst having a virtual monopoly it’s BA, an airline now run by bean counters and a shadow of the once fine airline they were.

Premium is an upgrade on economy but not by much imo, smaller cabin and a footrest being the plus points. If Virgin fly the route I’d suggest you use them though, at least they make an effort.

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
Virgin PE is far superior to many airlines as you do get more for your money than just extra legroom. If flying longhaul and you are fairly tall then those extra few inches of knee space can make a hell of a difference.

I see several airlines are now creating a sub class of economy for extra legroom seating which is not sold a PE. Virgin have their Delight offering now and I see United have a similar class. You get minimal extra benefit other than the extra legroom and being a bit closer to the front. Both Virgin and United now have the back of the plane for true cattle class.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Travelled premium economy with Norwegian from Seattle - Gatwick in May this year. All latest 787 Dreamliners and PE with them was cheaper than standard economy with anyone else. The wonderful, for me, irony of the flight was as I had booked the total trip with Norwegian (Seattle ((Gatwick)) Malaga) that as the flight was late departing (the ticket includes a lounge) I missed the Malaga connection at Gatwick. Norwegian got me on the afternoon BA flight back home, but, as I was late arriving (8 hours) they have just coughed up 1200 euros (Mrs BS & I) for the delay, thanks to the help of Resolve. So the flight was actually free! But ignoring this, the flight on the Dreamliner was superb and well worth the extra.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
BA business class is seriously shit these days. Same old coffin seats they’ve had since Noah was a boy, ridiculous seats where you have to step over the aisle seat bed on night flights if you have a window seat. I will make the effort to use another airline if they fly the route from hereon. I was shocked to see that they still have those crap seats and configurations on the flagship A380, and boy do they pack those seats in these days.

If ever an airline was living in the past whilst having a virtual monopoly it’s BA, an airline now run by bean counters and a shadow of the once fine airline they were.

Premium is an upgrade on economy but not by much imo, smaller cabin and a footrest being the plus points. If Virgin fly the route I’d suggest you use them though, at least they make an effort.

Agreed in some cases on some older cabins before a refit. What makes Club for me being much better than some other business classes are the lounge facilities.. especially at T5. The New 787’s and coming A350’s will have aisle access for each seat. I heard they were retrofitting some other aircraft also. You have to remember BA’s Fleet is a relatively large fleet.

BA’s premium is weak IMO. The best reasons for choosing it are extra tier points and Avios. You also have a fighting chance of an OpUp to business or maybe can upgrade with Avios.

There are few bells and whistles. Its basically a slighly larger economy seat a economy seat with extra legroom and aisle access could actually trump a WTP seat in the middle.

It is also plane dependant. The 777 and 747 have some of the worst examples although some are/have been updated.

The A380 or 787’s have the better seats. A point of note is that the current 787 economy seating in narrower than economy on other BA planes so if you are on this aircraft the jump to premium will be most notable and likely most worthwhile.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Agreed in some cases on some older cabins before a refit. What makes Club for me being much better than some other business classes are the lounge facilities.. especially at T5. The New 787’s and coming A350’s will have aisle access for each seat. I heard they were retrofitting some other aircraft also. You have to remember BA’s Fleet is a relatively large fleet.

The T5 lounges were very good but are now extremely busy in my experience but way better than milling around the airport. Good to hear that the new Boeings and Airbus A350 will have a new club layout, about time. It was flying on a comparitively new A380 that really disappointed me. I normally end up on a geriatric 777 as they fly them on most African and Caribbean flights and those are the flights that I have used the most, but to find space cramped and those old design business class on the A380 was a shock.

Trying Virgin next time, as this is a first for me, it’ll be interesting to see if there is a substantial difference.

Stumpy Tim

The T5 lounges were very good but are now extremely busy in my experience but way better than milling around the airport. Good to hear that the new Boeings and Airbus A350 will have a new club layout, about time. It was flying on a comparitively new A380 that really disappointed me. I normally end up on a geriatric 777 as they fly them on most African and Caribbean flights and those are the flights that I have used the most, but to find space cramped and those old design business class on the A380 was a shock.

Trying Virgin next time, as this is a first for me, it’ll be interesting to see if there is a substantial difference.

You're right about the T5 lounges - it's sometimes easier to get a seat outside the lounges.

On Premium Economy, when I used to fly Qantas a lot (I'm a lifetime Gold member due to those years), Premium Economy would be extra legroom, but also business class food. That was well worth the upgrade. BA however just give you a little extra legroom and economy food. I wouldn't upgrade using my own money, though if the company pays that's a different matter of course

Ceej

Feb 1, 2013
Manchester
Well congratulations everyone, you've all done very nicely for yourselves :)
SeatGuru. The extra hints/legroom/sense of control is well worth the £30 for anything over four or five hours or whatever. That and some top end noise cancelling headphones and music and film downloads :)

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You're right about the T5 lounges - it's sometimes easier to get a seat outside the lounges.

On Premium Economy, when I used to fly Qantas a lot (I'm a lifetime Gold member due to those years), Premium Economy would be extra legroom, but also business class food. That was well worth the upgrade. BA however just give you a little extra legroom and economy food. I wouldn't upgrade using my own money, though if the company pays that's a different matter of course

Even the First Lounge at T5 is very busy these days, but love the First check in and direct lounge access there.

I fly mostly BA as we get good company deals (and for me sticking to one airline is obviously better from an Avios perspective). The last couple of times I’ve used Virgin (upper) I wasn’t impressed. Service was slapdash, food not very good and a real lack of luggage space in the cabin that led to a fair amount of passenger altercations.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
If it's long haul then I always go for the extra leg room, shorter flights aren't worth it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Exactly this, the very fact that Virgin offers premium check in, fast track through security, early boarding, meals served on bone china plates, and unlimited inflight snacks, whereas our flag carrier doesn't, are more than reasons enough for me to opt for them.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
When I flew with BA from Heathrow to Moscow for the World Cup it cost £40 extra to travel in Premium Economy on the outward journey but £400 extra for the return journey.
So basically it all depends on supply and demand and whether you feel it is worth it to you.
n.b. I paid the £40 going out, but decided to travel in economy coming home.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

We have given up with lounges after the last couple we tried, Gatwick and Athens, was full of screaming kids running around and the parents basically nit giving a toss. We now head to the " quiet " areas of the airports which actually are very good.

One of the problems with Mrs gaffer working at a school, she doesn't tolerate bad behaviour and tries it so hard not to step in that it becomes stressful, so we tend to avoid certain " offerings"

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
last time we went to Aus we flew PE with virgin, they were really good, miles better than BA. I haven't flown regularly foryears now but used to quite a lot . . . . short haul (up to 3 hours anyway) I'd just opt for price and practicality. last year I did squeezy jet to BOlogna and it was great, half empty plane on a Sunday morning!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s been a long long while since I last travelled long haul with BA but I much prefer Virgin. And I recommend Virgin Premium as a minimum; the last time I looked through the curtain into economy it was like a zoo in there. There were children climbing over seats and litter covered the floor.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
It’s been a long long while since I last travelled long haul with BA but I much prefer Virgin. And I recommend Virgin Premium as a minimum; the last time I looked through the curtain into economy it was like a zoo in there. There was children climbing over seats and litter covered the floor.

This , LH flights I would never fly cattle!!

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
For me (being in the business) it's all about the perceived value of the product to the individual. Agree with a lot of other posters that BA's PE product is inferior to the likes of Virgin (PE Refit in the 747 bubble is rather good imho) and Norwegian etc...

Again as others have picked up prices vary wildly dependent on how many seats have been sold - I've done quite a few "mixed" bookings- one leg in cattle, one leg in PE and there are deals to be had. Virgin contacted me and offered one of my customers who had already booked a £50 upgrade to PE per leg on a transatlantic itinerary - no brainer, I've just done a BA inbound upgrade from JFK for £120 and numerous others. This isn't the norm, it's just a case of "right time, right place". In general terms if a cattle ticket is £500, PE is going to be £1k.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I’m flying back to T5 from Bangalore tomorrow morning. I’m only on BA Blue - my Sydney and Taipei flights were Quantas or Virgin and points long since spent- but my colleague is silver and got me in the lounge at T5 as a guest. We got the last table and stayed about 20 minutes. I was offered an upgrade to Premium Economy for £200 of my own money on the BA app for the return. It’s a day flight and having seen PE on the way out there’s no way I’d upgrade out of my own money. Seemed barely different to Economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
We have given up with lounges after the last couple we tried, Gatwick and Athens, was full of screaming kids running around and the parents basically nit giving a toss. We now head to the " quiet " areas of the airports which actually are very good.

One of the problems with Mrs gaffer working at a school, she doesn't tolerate bad behaviour and tries it so hard not to step in that it becomes stressful, so we tend to avoid certain " offerings"

I feel her pain, kids are kids but (the lack) of some of the parenting in relation to showing respect for other people is dreadful. You cannot blame the kids for being brats, 99% of the time it's the parents fault. Well imo anyway.

The number of times I've seen parents shrug their shoulders, with an embarrassed smile or outrightly aggressively, and say that it's just how kids are is astounding. "Live with it" seems to be the message.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here