Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Aretha Franklin RIP

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
If anybody does not know her music an album called A Brand New Me was released last year featuring most of her best songs with backing added by Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.It is superb. RIP legend

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
RIP Aretha, the woman who made Dusty Springfield feel intimidated, which speak volumes.

Springfield is known for the 1969 single "Son Of A Preacher Man," from the album Dusty in Memphis. While the song was a hit, the album was a commercial flop. The album was originally supposed to be recorded in Memphis with session players who had played with Aretha Franklin and Otis Redding, but Springfield was so intimidated by her surroundings that she refused to sing there. Her vocals were done in New York and added in later. She was not happy with the final results, but Rolling Stone magazine ranked Dusty in Memphis as #89 on its list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
RIP

The Queen of Soul Music

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Just had a beer with my old mate, after a hard days graft, and was feeling sweet.

Then I saw this and it's made me feel very sad.

Aretha was right up there with the very best, Rip. :down:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Genuinely upset...she was the most fabulous of soul singers and represented all that to me was the best of original r and b

Rip lovely lady.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
The best female soul singer - bar none.

From the pop/soul monsters like her versions of 'I Say A Little Prayer', 'Respect', and 'Think' to her wonderful take on Carole King's 'Natural Woman' and my personal favourite 'Until You Come Back To Me', her voice was as pure and soulful as it is possible to be - covering every emotion from A-Z and back again. Her playlist is as broad as it is long, and immense with it.

On his very first radio show after Hillsborough, John Peel played her version of 'You'll Never Walk Alone'. I didn't even know she had done a version of it. He, and everyone listening, was just left bereft after that.

A glass of red wine while I say a little prayer this evening, I think.

A rare talent who inspired many.

RIP Aretha.

All of this plus her contributions to the Civil Rights movement.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Listening this morning to her music and the equally fantastic Ella Fitzgerald, who is probably a bit too early for a lot of you.

If you believe in heaven and a god, how brilliant must it be there with Ella and aretha, duetting with jo Stafford and the count Basie orchestra in the background.

A lot of my musical heros are slowly going .....must be my age!

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Listening this morning to her music and the equally fantastic Ella Fitzgerald, who is probably a bit too early for a lot of you.

If you believe in heaven and a god, how brilliant must it be there with Ella and aretha, duetting with jo Stafford and the count Basie orchestra in the background.

A lot of my musical heros are slowly going .....must be my age!

they're having it right off up there mate ...i can't wait ....???

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Unchallenged in her field in my opinion. So sad when someone with that talent passes on but she leaves behind so much. The video where she moves Obama in that way and Carole King goes potty I must have watched a hundred plus times. RIP

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
It's taken me a few days to come to terms with the loss of one of my greatest heroines of my teen age years. I first encountered Aretha (for at least her recordings) in a record shop in George Street, Hove which no longer exists. The album was her first secular LP. I fell in love with the voice and the beautiful face on the album cover. She was then billed as a Jazz Artist and this proceeded the time Columbia Records followed up this disc with unsuitable material for her which provoked her move to Atlantic Records where she did indeed become the "Queen Of Soul". I loved all her recordings but my favourite is still that first one. RIP beautiful lady who was only a few months older than me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtB0WVWHOv4&frags=pl,wn

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here