Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Pretentious Pub Food

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
It's very noticeable having moved to Leeds that an awful lot of pubs in Sussex aren't really pubs anymore, but restaurants. Here they focus on ale and if they do do food it's pub grub in large portions. Down there there are so many gastropubs which are effectively restaurants.

I think I'd prefer a middle ground!

yep! I used to be surrounded by boozers, go in them now and all I see is 'Table reserved for Tamsin and party'

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s just two miles from where I live, those dishes were instantly recognisable from their menu.

I’ll pass everyone’s comments about the menu onto their head chef Colin next time I’m in there. :D

Colin ?? FFS, he can't be called 'Colin'. Surely it's Edouard or Aurelien ? :smile::smile:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Sorry, but what ****ing country do we live in?!

That's what offended me about the menu. The carrot fluff is a bit dodgy too. Other than that it seems ok if not a little dated in its floweriness. The trend these days is minimalist menus which just list the main ingredients.

Pubs becoming gastropubs is the fault of the breweries and pubcos. Landlords can't make any money off of beer anymore so they have to focus on food. So it's out with the pool tables and in with the petit pois.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Shepherd & Dog at Fulking is both pretentious and a rip off.

Fish and chips at £14.50, but the owners call it 14 1/2. WTF.

Poor customer service too with the snooty 25 year old owner or manager more interested in chatting to his 20 yewr old Uni mates.

AD6323DC-4DBF-40A8-935A-4D61B6331715.png

Last edited:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So it's out with the pool tables and in with the petit pois.

From bar billiards to Bar Vin, from the dart board to the platter board, from horse brass to hors d'oeuvres....

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ridiculous, the dishes you mention may be great for a fine dining restaurant, but not a pub! What's wrong with traditional pub classics like sausage & mash, liver & bacon?, steak & kidney pussing?, cod & chips, etc. etc?

I guess the owners just feel that they can charge more for these ridiculous menu's, but I know which l would prefer to eat!

Just had a look at the menu and they do indeed serve fish n chips, steak and kidney pie, bangers and mash, and liver and bacon. Not to mention burgers and steaks.

Edit: I see I was beaten to it by 20 minutes.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
The Shepherd & Dog at Fulking is both pretentious and a rip off.

Fish and chips at £14.50, but the owners call it 14 1/2. WTF.

Poor customer service too with the snooty 25 year old owner or manager more interested in chatting to his 20 yewr old Uni mates.

View attachment 99752

That really is quite remarkably w@nky :nono: I presume the owner takes great delight in condescendingly explaining what 14 1/2 actually means. :tosser:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just a sign of the times as the new breed of cookery experts, brought about by TV chefs has brought about this pretentious approach to cooking and simple dishes are now described in flowery terms. Even fish and chips are now described as being in Taylors Landlord Beer Batter, or whatever beer, and adds £2 to the price.

The final four words of your post says it all, it's all about extracting the last possible penny from the customer.

Have l become cynical? or was it always like that?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The final four words of your post says it all, it's all about extracting the last possible penny from the customer.

Have l become cynical? or was it always like that?

Marketing has been around for a while if that's what you mean.

I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for pub food if it's good quality. The problem is pubs have realised punters are willing to pay, so now some places are charging premium prices for bang average grub.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Marketing has been around for a while if that's what you mean.

I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for pub food if it's good quality. The problem is pubs have realised punters are willing to pay, so now some places are charging premium prices for bang average grub.

There is marketing, and there is overt greed.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I don't think many pubs are making a killing these days. What's a good price for fish and chips in a pub?

I've no idea. My main argument is, that many landlords, pub chains etc. try to extract as much money as possible from customers, by dressing up the humble cod and chips, to ridiculous levels, indicating that they are getting more for their money, than they actually are.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I've no idea. My main argument is, that many landlords, pub chains etc. try to extract as much money as possible from customers, by dressing up the humble cod and chips, to ridiculous levels, indicating that they are getting more for their money, than they actually are.

In some cases that's definitely true.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here