Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Pretentious Pub Food

el punal

In the 1970s there was a greasy caff in Seven Dials - can’t remember the name of it - had a menu (!) of abbreviations and the price. For example, EB&FS, or EB&FST, SEB&FS then you had T or C.

Once you had broken the code you could order your grub with confidence!

For those of you still in the dark : EB&FS - egg, bacon and fried slice (bread), EB&FST - the same but with tomatoes, SEB&FS - this one had sausages. T&C - not terms and conditions but tea and coffee. There, you see, not a carrot fluff in sight!

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Perhaps we will see the cheaper chains hopping onto this trend.

Can't wait to see factory farmed beef burger in a pre frozen bun on the menu at spoons.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
In the 1970s there was a greasy caff in Seven Dials - can’t remember the name of it - had a menu (!) of abbreviations and the price. For example, EB&FS, or EB&FST, SEB&FS then you had T or C.

Once you had broken the code you could order your grub with confidence!

For those of you still in the dark : EB&FS - egg, bacon and fried slice (bread), EB&FST - the same but with tomatoes, SEB&FS - this one had sausages. T&C - not terms and conditions but tea and coffee. There, you see, not a carrot fluff in sight!

So when you went there would you ask...

Q. FUNEX?
A. SVFX
Q. FUNEM?
A. SVFM

XNM please.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The Shepherd & Dog at Fulking is both pretentious and a rip off.

Fish and chips at £14.50, but the owners call it 14 1/2. WTF.

Poor customer service too with the snooty 25 year old owner or manager more interested in chatting to his 20 yewr old Uni mates.

View attachment 99752

I don't get this, why did they batter the line before catching the Channel cod?

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I don't like the trendy expensive pubs that, when you ask for Fish & Chips, you get a small battered fillet, and a small pot with 5 chips in. That'll be £13.95 please.

Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 16.47.23.png

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Food and it's presentation has moved on a lot over the last 10 years . Now days a bacon sandwich with ketchup is not going to do it for the the middle classes even in a decent pub. Food needs to be imaginative and well presented. Sounds like this pub is just keeping up with the more middle class pubs and restaurants and steering away from the more working class chains like beefeater and Wetherspoons who cater for a different type of customer who has more basic requirements. Not saying one is better than the other , it's just the way it is.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
If it's home made on the premises then I don't mind, if it's Brake Brothers' chicken ding-ding I'm not interested. I can microwave some old supermarket stuff myself thanks! If the words "jus" or "drizzled" appear anywhere in he description then they can bugger off! If a massive plate turns up with a microscopic something or other in the middle turns up they can bugger off! Finally, if someones smeared something green and brown around the side of the plate then that's a dishwasher failure and, guess what, more buggering off to be done. Harrumph!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Gluten free and Dairy Free Option Available. I had to Google the second one. Not sure why there'd be dairy in fish and chips anyway.

Check the ingredients for batter.

If anyone wants a lovely country pub with good food, try The Trusty Servant. Thoroughly recommended.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Fish & chip batter doesn't normally contain any dairy. It's just flour and raising agents.

Batter can consist of half milk and half water, or beer and water. By stating dairy free, it is reassuring customers that there is no milk in that particular batter.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Batter can consist of half milk and half water, or beer and water. By stating dairy free, it is reassuring customers that there is no milk in that particular batter.

Obviously. But you said check the ingredients for batter, seemingly implying that the batter contains dairy. 99% of the time fish batter will not contain any dairy.

Normally, it's just flour, water and raising agents. Sometimes places try to fancy it up by adding beer. You don't add dairy unless you want to make a pancake.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here