Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Pretentious Pub Food

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I realise that but always thought that eggs were classed as dairy. Its like the old argument do you keep them in the fridge or not.

Never been dairy, but sometimes confused people as often kept in the same aisle as dairy in supermarkets etc.

Pubs seem to fall into 3 main categories these days :

-free houses that are old school and have a traditional menu, which can either be very good, or very bad (like the supposedly highly rated country pub we went to last week, where the food we had would have been described as ‘a bit crap’ in the 80s)

-chain pubs which try to look traditional and where the food is often bordering on pretentious to justify higher prices (Greene King etc) but are usually pretty reliable, or indentikit type stuff, fairly cheap, to appeal to the masses, often badly done but value can be ok (Spoons, Beefeater, Harvester etc)

-restaurants masquerading as pubs, such as in the OP

As long as you know what you’re letting yourself in for, there’s a market for all of them.

theroyal

May 11, 2014
My local establishment once boasted "Trash Can Nachos" - nachos literally served in a metal dustbin lid.

How the **** is that meant to be appetising?!

Keith the Kipper

Feb 27, 2010
Worthing
I think this thread has made me realise why I have been feeling down of late. It is because I have not been able to shout 'W****r !' at the top of my voice with impunity for three months - roll on Sunday and Mourinho !

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Never been dairy, but sometimes confused people as often kept in the same aisle as dairy in supermarkets etc.

Pubs seem to fall into 3 main categories these days :

-free houses that are old school and have a traditional menu, which can either be very good, or very bad (like the supposedly highly rated country pub we went to last week, where the food we had would have been described as ‘a bit crap’ in the 80s)

-chain pubs which try to look traditional and where the food is often bordering on pretentious to justify higher prices (Greene King etc) but are usually pretty reliable, or indentikit type stuff, fairly cheap, to appeal to the masses, often badly done but value can be ok (Spoons, Beefeater, Harvester etc)

-restaurants masquerading as pubs, such as in the OP

As long as you know what you’re letting yourself in for, there’s a market for all of them.

You’re categorisation missed out wet led pubs that don’t do food.

My favourite category.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Most of Shorehams hostelries are borderline eateries now, some ok, some Shyte. We only really have one traditional pub left, thank ****!

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Another one for you to salivate over :

Snail Garden - The world’s best snails in garlic pastry with crispy forest moss, wild mushrooms and wild garlic pesto.

As for the wine :

Salentein Barrel Selection Malbec, Uco Valley, Mendoza, Argentina - notes of blackberry, blueberry and red currant, with subtle hints of violet. The silky palate offers a crisp, balance backed by vanilla on the lingering finish.

WTF is going on!! :mad:
Had this with my dinner, £6 at Tescos, i suspect slightly cheaper than your one. [emoji3]
2d74c1d84a3d12987fbf47f64939a76c.jpg
a65ff5222c4f715ef23aa462877b5511.jpg

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I've been to The Treby Arms it's up the road from me, taken over by a MasterChef winner.
I don't remember the food being served up on the back of my hand though.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
:
Good post.

But I would say that sometimes you don't know you're being ripped off until the food and then bill arrives.

In which case you vote with your feet and let others know your experience on tripadvisor.

Totally agree, Weststander.
Talking about Nouvelle Cuisine, I can still recall being in a restaurant in York in December 1986 and we were near a large table of hungry Yorkshire lads and lasses looking forward to their pre Christmas office meal. Out came the waiters with the huge plates covered by equally huge lids, then with a great flourish they removed the lids to show the tiniest turkey and trimmings you could imagine. A lot of basic Yorkshire phrases were employed and my girlfriend and I could only look on in horror........we were next! I think the office party probably went out and filled up with good old fish and chips after that. Needless to say, the next night we ate elsewhere!:):eek:

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Another one for you to salivate over :

Snail Garden - The world’s best snails in garlic pastry with crispy forest moss, wild mushrooms and wild garlic pesto.

As for the wine :

Salentein Barrel Selection Malbec, Uco Valley, Mendoza, Argentina - notes of blackberry, blueberry and red currant, with subtle hints of violet. The silky palate offers a crisp, balance backed by vanilla on the lingering finish.

WTF is going on!! :mad:

Ask them why they are serving wild garlic pesto in August.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Line caught fish (bollocks) hand cooked and pan fried seem to be on every menu these days just to bump up the price.

Makes it sound eco-friendly as well.....if it was a 'line', bet it was from longlining......maybe 50 miles of line each time with 000s of baited hooks, left in the water for days..........still, means it can be 'fourteen and a half' and served on a slate or piece of wood rather than £6 at the chippy and allows Tabatha and Giles to proclaim that they 'only ever eat fish caught by sustainable methods, and we're educating Toby and Francesca to do the same' etc.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe chef has a freezer in his kitchen?

Uncomplicated and simple British garden food, true to the micro seasons and influenced by the forest and coast, with the emphasis squarely on fresh, clean flavours.

Our menu changes by the minute depending on what the forager finds or the kitchen gardener deems to be in perfect condition - this is a genuine way of running our kitchen.

PAH.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here