Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] La Liga matches to be held in the US - Premier League next?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Hate the idea.

If the PL league must introduce this absurd idea then it has to the fabled 39th game, otherwise the league loses its integrity as 10 teams would play 18 home games and 10 would play 19 home games thereby affecting the balance of the league.

I can't see supporters being happy with the additional exposure and club income if the 3 relegated sides only played 18 home games and the 3 above the line all played 19 home games.

The same goes for the top 6, would the 2 that miss out on CL qualification be happy if they played 18 home games but those just above the qualification line played 19 home games.

Then if the league goes to the 39th game, how are the fixtures decided, as again it could well impact in the final league standings.

As a starting point to test the water, I could see the Community Shield being moved to America given that most of the top 6 seem to play friendlies in America and are therefore already likely to be there.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Nothing new there. We could choose to protest it though, but we probably wouldn't... all things considered most of us would probably find positives in it.

Barber would write a long email and all of NSC's lickers would roll over to have their tummies tickled.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Money money money and people think it's a good thing.No wonder the football mojo is disappearing fast and this will be the final straw.Don't like the premiership anyway and this idea is bloody pathetic !!

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Just assume this was to go ahead and they selected Brighton v Man United as the game, would my prepaid coach travel still apply?

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Money money money and people think it's a good thing.No wonder the football mojo is disappearing fast and this will be the final straw.Don't like the premiership anyway and this idea is bloody pathetic !!

Absolutely this.

Terrible idea and likely to be the straw that breaks the camel’s back for me.

Football leagues are about playing everyone home and away. Taking one random game off to a neutral venue destroys the credibility of the league. I really don’t care if it’s “improved the NFL’s exposure” by playing abroad. It’s not about abroad. It’s OUR league.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
What would happen if we played a game in the US and, under the Trump regime, Jahanbakhsh and Kayal weren't allowed into the country (which is not that far-fetched, particularly AJ). Would it really be fair to play when we couldn't pick from a full team?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I watched the LAFC game last night in a pub and I must admit the players are getting the falling over/cheating aspect down to a fine art.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Let's be honest with ourselves... would we say no?

Brighton v Man Utd in LA... nationwide coverage in the USA...

There's no doubt it would be extremely good for the club, especially if we won.

The recent exhibition match between Man U and Liverpool at Michigan University in Ann Arbor (hardly the centre of the universe) was played in front of a crowd of over 100,000 - so gives you an idea of the potential market for these games - also amazes me the size of stadiums at some US Universities!

From a selfish point of view I would like to see a Brighton PL game played in New York - but it would also give Albion huge media exposure in the US which cant be a bad thing these days

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
What would be Brighton’s spiritual American host city, San Francisco or Seattle maybe!?

el punal

Surely, that means a club will lose home advantage ... unless they play two games over there, one home and one away.

Bet our season ticket costs wouldn't go down ... (but the free travel would be a bit of a bonus :) )

“Southern are sorry to announce that the service from San Diego to Brighton has been cancelled due to a shortage of train crews. A bus replacement service will be in operation.”

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
“Southern are sorry to announce that the service from San Diego to Brighton has been cancelled due to a shortage of train crews. A bus replacement service will be in operation.”
Imagine the fans forum.

Has the club considered buying and developing Shoreham airport and also buying some 747s ?

:facepalm:

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I can see a time when winning the premier league will be more important than winning the champions league

after all, americans only know where london & paris is

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Sounds like a good idea to me. The NFL international series over here has been a massive success.

Ladies and gentlemen we have a modern football fan. At least you have JCL in your user name, just a guess but does DFL mean Down from London?

Seriously though, a good idea?
Imagine not seeing your team play at home for a while because they are out of the FA Cup, then played away and then the next game is in the grand old US OF A.....

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Ridiculous decision... and of course the PL will follow. Just bite the bullet, have a super league that plays it's matches in US and around Asia and the Far East including all the countries with dodgy human rights records (just like formula 1). The Top6, Barca, Madrid, PSG, Monaco, Bayern and a couple of others can f*ck off and play soccer amongst themselves and leave the rest of us to play/watch football in peace.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here