Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] La Liga matches to be held in the US - Premier League next?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
https://www.ft.com/content/5ce1926e-a09f-11e8-85da-eeb7a9ce36e4

La Liga, Spain’s top football league, will hold competitive matches in the US as early as this season, as part of radical plans to secure greater revenues from international audiences.

The matches are an effort by the league, whose clubs include FC Barcelona and Real Madrid, to challenge the global popularity of rival tournaments, such as the English Premier League, which has gained a strong following in the US.

The overseas games form part of a joint venture between La Liga and Relevent Sports, a US promoter backed by Stephen Ross, the billionaire owner of NFL team the Miami Dolphins. The tie-up is designed to increase the Spanish league’s revenues from sponsorship and media rights in North America.

Cont...

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Sounds like a good idea to me. The NFL international series over here has been a massive success.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Surely, that means a club will lose home advantage ... unless they play two games over there, one home and one away.

Bet our season ticket costs wouldn't go down ... (but the free travel would be a bit of a bonus :) )

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Sounds like a good idea to me. The NFL international series over here has been a massive success.

NFL is franchise shite they can **** off with that idea

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Can only imagine it will be a smaller club Vs Barcelona/Real Madrid away fixture, with the smaller team getting a big payout.

No other way would the Spanish fans accept it otherwise.

Yes, they'd have to take Real or Barca to make it worthwhile and they wouldn't lose a home game so something like Getafe v Barca in New Jersey.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
Except for season ticket holders.

Personally i think the increased global appeal of the game is of benefit. Particularly in NFL. Potentially the increase in revenue for BHAFC for hosting 1 home game every few seasons overseas. Could be a compelling trade off.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
https://www.ft.com/content/5ce1926e-a09f-11e8-85da-eeb7a9ce36e4

La Liga, Spain’s top football league, will hold competitive matches in the US as early as this season, as part of radical plans to secure greater revenues from international audiences.

The matches are an effort by the league, whose clubs include FC Barcelona and Real Madrid, to challenge the global popularity of rival tournaments, such as the English Premier League, which has gained a strong following in the US.

The overseas games form part of a joint venture between La Liga and Relevent Sports, a US promoter backed by Stephen Ross, the billionaire owner of NFL team the Miami Dolphins. The tie-up is designed to increase the Spanish league’s revenues from sponsorship and media rights in North America.

Cont...

Cont indeed :nono:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Let's be honest with ourselves... would we say no?

Brighton v Man Utd in LA... nationwide coverage in the USA...

There's no doubt it would be extremely good for the club, especially if we won.

Well, quite. The proposed '39th game' is never going to happen.

It's unlikely English football would collapse overnight if one Premier League game (it wouldn't be any other) was played overseas.

Even a developed model like the NFL played only 3 regular games in London and 1 in Mexico out of a total of 256 games - about 1.5%

One of the top 6 would be involved for sure, preferably both teams coming from them.

Anything other than that and demand wouldn't be there. Huddersfield v Bournemouth or local derbies outside the 6 aren't going to wow the masses.

Logistics wise, English teams have regular midweek football travelling to far flung Eastern European countries. It's probably just as easy heading to the States.

Season ticket holders of the 'home' team would have that season ticket prices discounted accordingly, but that's fair enough.

Some supporters might see it as an opportunity to combine a mini-break with watching the team play. And there's the glamour aspect as well in a globalized market.

It would hardly be the death of the English game or football losing its soul. More of a case of broadening its geographical horizons.

England gave football to the world. The world watches English football. It's a natural fit to take a Premier League game overseas.

Albion v Liverpool in Vegas? I'm sure Tony would be up for that. And I daresay a few on NSC would make the trip!

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
A Premier league game or games in the US or Asia is going to happen sooner or later involving the 'big six'.

Even more so when Amazon, FaceBook, or Google start getting serious about 'soccer' streaming.

I heard during the Premier League launch on tv the other day that 'a billion people' worldwide watch the Premier League on a weekly basis.

Football in the PL has already largely moved away from the traditional Saturday 3pm slot. I'm expecting the games to be even more day/time shifted in the upcoming seasons to cater for these new markets.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If it happens with NFL teams and those fans only have 8 home games a season it will definitely happen with the Prem where there are 19 home league matches.

Personally, I'd be in favour of that providing the club provide season ticket holders with entrance to one home Cup match free of charge.

Take last season. I'd have been more than happy for Albion to play a Prem match abroad if - say - the Crystal Palace FA Cup match had been free. For starters the ground would have been packed out, rather than half-full. The money foregone by the cup revenue would have been more than made up for in the worldwide revenue from the global match.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
If we did it I’d like to see us take on the Dallas Cowboys for the ASHES!! :moo:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
This is the thin edge of the @Wedgee .

What next, a glamour PL tie between Burnley and Bmuff in Cleveland, Ohio?

"and you join us here at the Cleveland MegaDome for the Eddie Howe Derby between the Burnley Clarets and the BourneMOUTH Cherry Pickers

It's a confident start from the Pickers but Wilson's just been sacked by Clarets chief tackler James Tarkowski. Now Here's ARON Lennon in the wide zone. He's hit a long one. It's up for grabs now.....and ASH BARNES has hit a head goal into the score sack for inside the danger box. Goalkeep BeGOvic had no chance with Barnes' hang time and head smash

DeShawn Dyche fist pumps like a senior on the dancefloor at prom"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here