Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Car service digital history - total garage f**k up - thoughts?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My wife's Mini needed an annual service. It has a digital log book service history. She asked Halfords if they were able to provide the service and update the digital service history. They said they could and the service was booked in.

Halfords then proceeded to botch the data input to the extent the annual service isn't registered, the oil light doesn't work and the service history won't be correct until 2020.

Halfords have now admitted they CANNOT provide the service and admitted their staff misled my wife.

Halfords have offered to pay the cost for the replacement servicing that needs to be done, and they've offered a £50 Halfords store card for the inconvenience. The bottom line is she has a car with a messed up service history and various lights that should come on to indicate what needs attention are now out of kilter.

I feel this represents a loss of value - if I was offered this car or an identical car but with a proper digital service history I'd pay an extra £100 or £200 for the other car.

Has anybody else experienced problems with this sort of thing? As service history goes from paper to digital I expect this is something of an issue for mechanics, garages etc.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
My wife's Mini needed an annual service. It has a digital log book service history. She asked Halfords if they were able to provide the service and update the digital service history. They said they could and the service was booked in.

Halfords then proceeded to botch the data input to the extent the annual service isn't registered, the oil light doesn't work and the service history won't be correct until 2020.

Halfords have now admitted they CANNOT provide the service and admitted their staff misled my wife.

Halfords have offered to pay the cost for the replacement servicing that needs to be done, and they've offered a £50 Halfords store card for the inconvenience. The bottom line is she has a car with a messed up service history and various lights that should come on to indicate what needs attention are now out of kilter.

I feel this represents a loss of value - if I was offered this car or an identical car but with a proper digital service history I'd pay an extra £100 or £200 for the other car.

Has anybody else experienced problems with this sort of thing? As service history goes from paper to digital I expect this is something of an issue for mechanics, garages etc.

Have you tried turning it off and back ....................

If they are paying for a replacement service, surely that would reset all the various warnings and lights ?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No still have a service book.

No doubt the digital approach is just a way of trying to tie the servicing into main dealers only

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Halfrauds/kwik sh1t as bad as each other.

Get a price from the dealer to correct it and complete the required work. Get trading standards involved would be where I would go with it as they’ve promised a service which they couldn’t do to the correct standard but half did it anyway leaving you in a worse position than before.

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
Think its pretty serious. Am useless with cars myself and faults, or cost of repair really, terrify me.
I think if you came to sell this it would drop value of car a fair bit, many scared off by minor faults for reasons above.
My VW had some sort of abs fault and Halfords guys were honest that they could replace parts but only VW could re-set computer. Long term wonder if we will be left with just main dealers.
Shouldn't Halfords pay for main dealer to correct all faults?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
been reading about problems with Jaguar, data on car history (servicing, locations) are stored online. trouble is the history isnt cleared unless you sell through a dealer so if the new owner has access trnasfered they see the previous owners details. oops. alot of problems coming down the road for connected cars.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
I used to have a Mini and the in formation is stored in the key that you plug in before start.g engine. This key is read through a reader that all Mini dealerships have. Very clever method of ensuring all servicing is carried out by dealers. Beemers are similar.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 2719

Surely better to go to the dealership for service not some spotty youth in Halfords ???

But who does the servicing at a dealership..............the cheap labour, you guessed it another spotty kid.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I bought an almost new Freelander 2 (£25,000) from a very reputable dealership. After purchasing the car I found it had spent it's short life in Germany, no worries, except that it spoke to me in German! Nothing had been done to the car at all regards a service or even a check despite their 'like driving away a new car' slogan. There was even a CD in the player and push the 'get me home' on the sat-nav showed Germany. The online service history showed 500 more miles than were on the clock (a mix up on Kilometres). Got lots of freebies out of them for all of that.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave

Learnt my lesson with that mob many years ago. I was given Halfords vouchers for Christmas, so used them to buy & have fitted a new stereo with CD, (I said it was years ago).
Long story short; completely messed up the wiring, car was never the same. I will never use that shower again.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There will be a way of getting this right, reject all the offers of compensation and state very clearly you want this issue rectified and don't accept anything else, once FULLY rectified you can them talk about compensation for your inconvenience.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here