Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] UK rail fares to rise by 3.2%

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Are the Government going to pay for my car in the countryside then? Or is it just the transport that suits some?

They pay for the roads via all taxpayers. There is no such thing as road tax it just gets paid into a central pot.

In fact if a millionaire on a bike rides next to you on the road he's probably contributing more to the roads than you are.

I don't run a car (don't need one) but accept the fact that things on the roads 1) serve me and 2) support the economy. My taxes contribute to them.

Same goes for trains. They get people to work. Millions of people to work. They pay taxes and if anything is left from their wages they buy things and services, possibly from your employee.

If you want a successful economy you encourage people to move around cheaply and quick.

I live in London, but would be very happy to subsidise (via my taxes) fuel in the country since I have incredible public transport options.

Why ? Because I understand the importance of it to the economy and that helps all of us.

Alternatively you can completely misunderstand capitalism, think it's all about you. Unfortunately there was never a market of "one".

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They pay for the roads via all taxpayers. There is no such thing as road tax it just gets paid into a central pot.
road users are net contributors to tax revenue, they pay more in duty and taxes than is spent on transport. all transport. ( spending and revenue)

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here