Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The Great British rip-off - Summer 2018

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Where have you been this summer that has offered appalling value for money or just downright terrible customer service, or even more spectacular - both, all at the same time? Where would you warn fellow NSCers to avoid at all costs?

My nomination is the Cracker Barrel - a restaurant in Lynton, north Devon. We visited for lunch last Saturday as it looked appealing enough from the outside but the service was utterly incompetent and the woman in charge topped this by managing to be incompetent and rude and indifferent. Both of my children's food orders came wrong (and they weren't complicated! A plain cheese baguette for one and a 'kid's meal' as advertised for the other), whilst my crab and prawn salad was tragic. It cost £14 and I ate one mouthful and left the rest. Freezing cold, tasteless prawns and crab stuff that tasted like it had been scooped from a catering-sized Shipham's paste tub from a Booker's cash and carry. We had to pay on ordering so I couldn't be arsed with arguing for a refund and spoiling a long weekend away, so after Mrs Nylon had finished her jacket potato (which she said was ok) we left. On exiting, the children asked if they could have an ice-cream cone each. I was loathe to spend any more money in this place, but it is hardly the kid's fault, so they each chose an ice-cream. When I went to pay, (£4.80) the incompetent, rude and indifferent mangeress told me no 'contactless' payments under £5! I told her I'd just paid fifty quid for the worst lunch I could remember and she just shrugged.

Luckily, loads of alternative places in Lynton to buy ice creams (which is what we did) and to buy lunch (which is what I recommend you should do) if you are ever there. Avoid this place.

Last edited:

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
The SW is packed this summer and it's great when the sun has been shining.
But I have said for years that so many places down here offer terrible, grumpy, off hand and expensive service.
They just don't seem to appreciate the holiday makers very much.
Staff kept at a minimum and there is no organisation leading to very long waiting time.
I have had so many bad experiences down here.
Not everywhere of course, I have been to some fabulous places with tip top service and quality but you just cannot help but notice the poor quality and prices.
What makes it worse is they depend so much on visitors and this year is a bumper year, Visit Cornwall has stopped promoting because places are too busy.
Love it down here but the people can be very strange sometimes.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
no 'contactless' payments under £5! .

I thought the whole idea of contactless was for small payments, not sure how the youngsters would cope with this as many never seem to carry cash these days

I had the reverse experience in a coffee house in London the other week, where I went to pay for my coffee with cash (£2.90) to be told to pay by card.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
guilty of it myself, but we let them get away with it.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I thought the whole idea of contactless was for small payments

Well, exactly. That is my understanding too. And having two young-ish children I never have any cash for long as they are adept at relieving me of it very quickly - especially on holiday.

Later that afternoon, having had no lunch (me), we passed a nice looking, open-fronted food place that did a take-away service. I ordered a steak pasty (£4.50) and tried to pay contactless only to be told again that no payment accepted under £5. Cheeky ****er on the till tried to get me to buy a drink to bump the transaction value up to over the magic 'north Devon' contactless threshold, but I told him where he could shove that and stalked off.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Meals for 4 of us in mid range restaurants in Cornwall this week costing us up to £110. That’s for burgers, roasts, sometimes deserts, 1 beer, 1 glass of wine and soft drinks. I do always tip, within that.

No surprise to me, but that doesn’t make it feel better.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
A visit to a pub in Kingsand/Cawsand SE Cornwall a few years ago.
Decent main course, time for some pud.
Mrs Chopper fancies some apple pie but prefers cream to custard.
Can I have the apple pie please.
Yes
Can I have it with cream instead of custard.
No
Oh, why not
Because it says custard on the menu
But my wife prefers cream, I see other options have cream.
But the apple pie comes with custard
Have you got any cream
Yes, lots of it.
Is the apple pie already in the plates with custard on them
No
Ok, so can you put some of your cream on a slice of apple pie please.
No
Is that because it says apple pie and custard on the menu
Yes
But you do have cream
Yes, I have just told you that.
Ok I will pay for what we have already had and make a move then
Ok sir, how was your meal.
Bloody Cornish.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Where have you been this summer that has offered appalling value for money or just downright terrible customer service, or even more spectacular - both, all at the same time? Where would you warn fellow NSCers to avoid at all costs?

My nomination is the Cracker Barrel - a restaurant in Lynton, north Devon. We visited for lunch last Saturday as it looked appealing enough from the outside but the service was utterly incompetent and the woman in charge topped this by managing to be incompetent and rude and indifferent. Both of my children's food orders came wrong (and they weren't complicated! A plain cheese baguette for one and a 'kid's meal' as advertised for the other), whilst my crab and prawn salad was tragic. It cost £14 and I ate one mouthful and left the rest. Freezing cold, tasteless prawns and crab stuff that tasted like it had been scooped from a catering-sized Shipham's paste tub from a Booker's cash and carry. We had to pay on ordering so I couldn't be arsed with arguing for a refund and spoiling a long weekend away, so after Mrs Nylon had finished her jacket potato (which she said was ok) we left. On exiting, the children asked if they could have an ice-cream cone each. I was loathe to spend any more money in this place, but it is hardly the kid's fault, so they each chose an ice-cream. When I went to pay, (£4.80) the incompetent, rude and indifferent mangeress told me no 'contactless' payments under £5! I told her I'd just paid fifty quid for the worst lunch I could remember and she just shrugged.

Luckily, loads of alternative places in Lynton to buy ice creams (which is what we did) and to buy lunch (which is what I recommend you should do) if you are ever there. Avoid this place.

Yet you paid without complaint. No wonder things won't improve there. It is crap when service and product is bad but if you sit there and say nothing you really don't have much right to moan and not very fair to then go online an slag them off.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Meals for 4 of us in mid range restaurants in Cornwall this week costing us up to £110. That’s for burgers, roasts, sometimes deserts, 1 beer, 1 glass of wine and soft drinks. I do always tip, within that.

No surprise to me, but that doesn’t make it feel better.

I've just come back from Cornwall, we had a flat so mainly ate in. Had 3 lots of fish & chips on different days in different harbours which cut down the price. The only meal we did have out was a Thai £63 for two......was nice tho.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Yet you paid without complaint. No wonder things won't improve there. It is crap when service and product is bad but if you sit there and say nothing you really don't have much right to moan.

agree , if the food/service is crap tell them.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Yet you paid and then spent more money in the establishment. No wonder things won't improve there. It is crap when service and product is bad but if you sit there and say nothing you really don't have much right to moan.

I fully agree with every you say and hate myself for not kicking up a right fuss, but when I have my children with me I tend to put stuff like this down to experience, vow to never go back and get on with giving them a great day and some happy memories. But, yes - I agree, on this ocassion I am part of the problem.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

Cracker Barrel in the states is amazing, just do not do alcohol

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
They’ve basically got three months to earn enough to survive for twelve.

Cornwall is one of the poorest areas in the United Kingdom and actually qualifies for poverty-related grants from the European Social Fund, at least for now.

Just wish they smiled a bit more whilst emptying my wallet.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I fully agree with every you say and hate myself for not kicking up a right fuss, but when I have my children with me I tend to put stuff like this down to experience, vow to never go back and get on with giving them a great day and some happy memories. But, yes - I agree, on this ocassion I am part of the problem.

Fairs. Hope the rest of your stay was better!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Watford FC on Saturday advertised soft drinks at £2.50 but till would only accept £2.80!!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
They’ve basically got three months to earn enough to survive for twelve.

Cornwall is one of the poorest areas in the United Kingdom and actually qualifies for poverty-related grants from the European Social Fund, at least for now.

Just wish they smiled a bit more whilst emptying my wallet.

Devon but especially Cornwall are nearly all year round now, ok much busier in the summer but April through to October is busy, especially Padstow and St Ives.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Cheers - it was, mostly. I haven't summoned up the strength to write my review of Cheddar Gorge yet...:ffsparr:

Just read your follow up steak pasty post. Now have an image of you "hangry" , stalking around Lynton desperate for food! I do it all the time and the hungrier I get the worse I am at making food decisions and invariably end up having Mrs TC getting me a crappy sandwich from Boots just to silence me!

As an aside I have some land and a small place down in Nancledra, near Penzance and St Ives. Penzance is insane in the summer. I know of people that come down from all over the country just to beg there. St Ives is a nicer option I think.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here