Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] The Great British rip-off - Summer 2018

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
How much is it to park at Cheddar Gorge and Lands End now?

Don't know about Land's End, but Cheddar Gorge is £5 flat rate whether it is for 30 minutes, 1hr or until 5pm. - cash only - obviously:rolleyes:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Where have you been this summer that has offered appalling value for money or just downright terrible customer service, or even more spectacular - both, all at the same time? Where would you warn fellow NSCers to avoid at all costs?

My nomination is the Cracker Barrel - a restaurant in Lynton, north Devon. We visited for lunch last Saturday as it looked appealing enough from the outside but the service was utterly incompetent and the woman in charge topped this by managing to be incompetent and rude and indifferent. Both of my children's food orders came wrong (and they weren't complicated! A plain cheese baguette for one and a 'kid's meal' as advertised for the other), whilst my crab and prawn salad was tragic. It cost £14 and I ate one mouthful and left the rest. Freezing cold, tasteless prawns and crab stuff that tasted like it had been scooped from a catering-sized Shipham's paste tub from a Booker's cash and carry. We had to pay on ordering so I couldn't be arsed with arguing for a refund and spoiling a long weekend away, so after Mrs Nylon had finished her jacket potato (which she said was ok) we left. On exiting, the children asked if they could have an ice-cream cone each. I was loathe to spend any more money in this place, but it is hardly the kid's fault, so they each chose an ice-cream. When I went to pay, (£4.80) the incompetent, rude and indifferent mangeress told me no 'contactless' payments under £5! I told her I'd just paid fifty quid for the worst lunch I could remember and she just shrugged.

Luckily, loads of alternative places in Lynton to buy ice creams (which is what we did) and to buy lunch (which is what I recommend you should do) if you are ever there. Avoid this place.

Evening squire. We are staying near Parracombe which is a few miles west of you. Funnily enough we stopped off for a meal yesterday a little way East of Lynton at an idyllic spot with a ford. But the pub was idiotic. Friendly enough (Welsh) woman behind the bar (all tits, tats and 'my lovely'), but the food was 'finished now'. We had a small beer and some crisps. Then at five to six the goofy bloke in co-charge (toy boy) came out to say that if it was alright we're closing at six and basically can you move from your table on the lawn as we want to tidy up, but if you want to stay where you are, that's actually OK'

WT actual F?

When we were leaving soon after, I went for a quick wee. Only a cubicle, no urinals. It had a floater. The flush didn't work. It took me back to the time I foolishly tried to go for a piss in the lavs under the clock tower in the early 1970s. At least, this time, I wasn't chased through the sea of piss by a roaring drunken paedosexualist.

**** me. Is north Devon actually war-torn Bosnia?

No it isn't, and most of it seems lovely, but some folk here are absolutely stealing a living. Stealing.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Evening squire. We are staying near Parracombe which is a few miles west of you. Funnily enough we stopped off for a meal yesterday a little way East of Lynton at an idyllic spot with a ford. But the pub was idiotic. Friendly enough (Welsh) woman behind the bar (all tits, tats and 'my lovely'), but the food was 'finished now'. We had a small beer and some crisps. Then at five to six the goofy bloke in co-charge (toy boy) came out to say that if it was alright we're closing at six and basically can you move from your table on the lawn as we want to tidy up, but if you want to stay where you are, that's actually OK'

WT actual F?

When we were leaving soon after, I went for a quick wee. Only a cubicle, no urinals. It had a floater. The flush didn't work. It took me back to the time I foolishly tried to go for a piss in the lavs under the clock tower in the early 1970s. At least, this time, I wasn't chased through the sea of piss by a roaring drunken paedosexualist.

No it isn't, and most of it seems lovely, but some folk here are absolutely stealing a living. Stealing.

As I said, it's a beautiful but strange part of the world.
I sometimes think that they do it on purpose to be 'quirky'

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Just read your follow up steak pasty post. Now have an image of you "hangry" , stalking around Lynton desperate for food! I do it all the time and the hungrier I get the worse I am at making food decisions and invariably end up having Mrs TC getting me a crappy sandwich from Boots just to silence me!

As an aside I have some land and a small place down in Nancledra, near Penzance and St Ives. Penzance is insane in the summer. I know of people that come down from all over the country just to beg there. St Ives is a nicer option I think.

'Hangry' is great expression. I think I will borrow that as it is a position I frequently find myself in.

I did get some food of sorts. We all had an ice cream later and some fudge. My 7-year old son had vile looking bubble gum ice cream (neon blue) and then some bubble gum fudge (again neon blue).

Sunday morning he looked a bit concerned.

"You okay?"
"Yes."
"Everything alright?"
"Yes." (Bottom lip starts trembling)
"So what's up?"
"Daddymypooh'sgonegreen!"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don't know about Land's End, but Cheddar Gorge is £5 flat rate whether it is for 30 minutes, 1hr or until 5pm. - cash only - obviously:rolleyes:

We joined the National Trust and have access to countess castles and the like (for when its raining) and free parking at some of the best beaches (such as Grunta). Highly recommended. A bit like being a 'member' of Amex in th 70s. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY8UJgGZlIg

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
We joined the National Trust and have access to countess castles and the like (for when its raining) and free parking at some of the best beaches (such as Grunta). Highly recommended. A bit like being a 'member' of Amex in th 70s.

We are NT members. Went to Dunster Castle Friday, which is a NT property and close to Minehead. Well worth a visit if you haven't been.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I fully agree with every you say and hate myself for not kicking up a right fuss, but when I have my children with me I tend to put stuff like this down to experience, vow to never go back and get on with giving them a great day and some happy memories. But, yes - I agree, on this ocassion I am part of the problem.

Actully, if it rains again (ha!) and Mrs T fancies taking little Griselda Tackle to Barnstaple to go bowling or bear baiting (which, I'm told, is still legal in N-DEV) I might pop over to Lynton, posing as an undercover fellah from Health and Safety, or the department of Works (doesn't). You just KNOW I could pull it off :O

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We are NT members. Went to Dunster Castle Friday, which is a NT property and close to Minehead. Well worth a visit if you haven't been.

Ha! We went there too. Yesterday. Spooky. Did you try on the hats and take lots of amusing photos? :whistle::rolleyes::lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The cake shop at the bottom of George St in Hove.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Something possessed me to eat a bacon roll from Jamie Olivers at Gatwick.

It was so bad, not only did they refund me they took the rest off sale.

You have been warned.

( lesson learned: NEVER eat at an airport )

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Something possessed me to eat a bacon roll from Jamie Olivers at Gatwick.

It was so bad, not only did they refund me they took the rest off sale.

You have been warned.

( lesson learned: NEVER eat at an airport )
Airports are for booze. Although that in itself is always a MASSIVE rip off.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

WT actual F?

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/knightshayes

Worth a gander :thumbsup:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Went up to A place near Lowestoft in Suffolk for a long weekend (when it was hot) and can report that the whole yard is populated by inbreds and freaks. It's very pretty but F me its weird. Went into a massive Morrisons (we were self catering) to stock up...it was absolutely devoid of stock. I've never seen a major supermarket where it looks like the place had been totally stripped, like they'd just announced a zombie apocalypse. All the locals were peculiar...random people shouting jibbersh from shop doorways at you!,

Mad. I wasn't particularly ripped off mind. So I'm on wrong thread.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Teignmouth last weekend.
Soft drink cans £1
Can of coke please
That'll be £1.50
It says £1
Sugar tax
Bloody advertise it at £1.50 then.
Storms off, thirsty.

well £1 is enough of a rip off to start. cost of sugarery water is naff all and you can buy by the litre for about £1 or a multli-pack for 35p a can. quite how we accept 80p-£1 for a single can i've never understood. even worse is pub post mix, was in a pub recently were the barman was so embarassed by the price - about 90% that of a beer - he told us and suggested a bottle instead. still £1.50 or so.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Where have you been this summer that has offered appalling value for money or just downright terrible customer service, or even more spectacular - both, all at the same time? Where would you warn fellow NSCers to avoid at all costs?

My nomination is the Cracker Barrel - a restaurant in Lynton, north Devon. We visited for lunch last Saturday as it looked appealing enough from the outside but the service was utterly incompetent and the woman in charge topped this by managing to be incompetent and rude and indifferent. Both of my children's food orders came wrong (and they weren't complicated! A plain cheese baguette for one and a 'kid's meal' as advertised for the other), whilst my crab and prawn salad was tragic. It cost £14 and I ate one mouthful and left the rest. Freezing cold, tasteless prawns and crab stuff that tasted like it had been scooped from a catering-sized Shipham's paste tub from a Booker's cash and carry. We had to pay on ordering so I couldn't be arsed with arguing for a refund and spoiling a long weekend away, so after Mrs Nylon had finished her jacket potato (which she said was ok) we left. On exiting, the children asked if they could have an ice-cream cone each. I was loathe to spend any more money in this place, but it is hardly the kid's fault, so they each chose an ice-cream. When I went to pay, (£4.80) the incompetent, rude and indifferent mangeress told me no 'contactless' payments under £5! I told her I'd just paid fifty quid for the worst lunch I could remember and she just shrugged.

Luckily, loads of alternative places in Lynton to buy ice creams (which is what we did) and to buy lunch (which is what I recommend you should do) if you are ever there. Avoid this place.

Sorry to hear about your experience in Lynton.
We stayed in adjoining Lynmouth for a few days at the end of May and had great food at the Ancient Mariner, which is the pub part of the Bath Hotel. Excellent food and friendly service; good for those with or without young ones.
No, it wasn't the height of the season, which thankfully we can avoid, but it may be worth a visit if you are down that way again.

P.S.The cliff train joining Lynmouth to Lynton is worth a trip, as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Im feeling homesick and nostalgic, please tell me it rained and you also had a family argument.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here