Votes: 79 56.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
http://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/164...pascal-gross-faces-threat-from-yves-bissouma/

Pascal Gross faces a new threat to his position as Albion’s number ten kingpin from Yves Bissouma.

The Mali international made a good impression on his Premier League debut as a substitute in the opening 2-0 defeat at Watford.

Manager Chris Hughton introduced Bissouma at Vicarage Road in a straight swap for Gross, rather than in midfield.

Albion looked more of a threat with the 21-year-old signing from Lille on the pitch.

Hughton must now decide whether to fit Bissouma into his starting XI for Sunday’s first home game against Manchester United (4pm).

Hughton told The Argus: “We will see. Generally he has played in midfield in a two or a three, so we know we can play him in that way.

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
Gross at home and Bissouma away I think is the way to go for now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
We need to find a system which means they both play, perhaps Groß deeper alongside Bissouma with a holding midfielder behind ?

We certainly need to change it away from home as the lack of pace from Murray and Groß is a massive factor in our poor away form

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Thought Bissouma played more the Stephens/Proper role for his former club.

Not sure 10 minutes of an already lost away match warrants him being a new number 10.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
We certainly need to change it away from home as the lack of pace from Murray and Groß is a massive factor in our poor away form

Agreed, for all Gross offered the team last season he has always been part of the problem away from home. Could see this working quite well, but who would you drop?

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Though Gross was pretty anonymous on Saturday, and Bissouma promising in his cameo, I'm not sure this is the most urgent change needed, or the one to pin all hopes and focus on.

My view on the priorities is:
1 – Options for Murray and March (ie Andone and AJ, even if we need to jiggle wingers).
2 – Montoya at RB (rather than "Bernardo-can-cover-at-RB")
3 – A rethink of the Stephens/Propper/Gross dynamic to include Bissouma.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
He needs to play home and away, swap for gross away from home, and at home swap for propper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Agreed, for all Gross offered the team last season he has always been part of the problem away from home. Could see this working quite well, but who would you drop?

One of the wingers and play 3 in midfield with two ahead of them.

Gross drifts wide often anyway and Knocky and March tucked in so much on Saturday we often didn’t have anyone naturally wide.

However that is obviously a massive formation change and not one I think CH favours.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Maybe a complete change to 4-3-3 with Bissouma as one of the 3 central midfielders but with the freedom to break forward to support or go beyond the striker.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
One of the wingers and play 3 in midfield with two ahead of them.

Gross drifts wide often anyway and Knocky and March tucked in so much on Saturday we often didn’t have anyone naturally wide.

However that is obviously a massive formation change and not one I think CH favours.

If we did that y fear would be we would lack width. I suspect against some teams it might work. It really depends on their formation as well. I'm also not convinced that our group of players are flexible enough to change formations either from game to game or during a game.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
Amazing how the majority of people in this poll think our best player last season should be replaced after one bad game in the first game of the season. Football fans are morons.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
If we did that y fear would be we would lack width. I suspect against some teams it might work. It really depends on their formation as well. I'm also not convinced that our group of players are flexible enough to change formations either from game to game or during a game.

Away from home we lack width anyway.... too often our wingers tuck in like they did Saturday and we become less affective. I do agree whether or not we are able to do this.

I only based it on Gross desire to often drift wide anyway and in some cases leaves us over stocked wide and with no one central to win the ball apart from Murray.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think Bissouma will start on Sunday - just my guess, that's all.

I know he replaced Gross on Saturday, but I'm not sure it will ultimately be a straight swap of Bissouma for Gross - our two midfield CMs, excellent as they have been, must also be under pressure; they don't really offer an attacking threat between them (although how much this is because of how they're told to play I couldn't say) - how many goals did midfield contribute last season? - and Gross was possibly our best player last season.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Gross has to play , Propper hasn't shown any attacking ability whatsoever as far as iv'e seen , time for a change ,considering how quickly Bissouma managed to get himself back into a defensive position from attack i would pick him over Propper rather than Gross .

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
I recall a similar discussion last season where many, I included, thought we should play Propper in PG's position as we weren't creating and scoring. He responded with his best performance for the club and we all looked like idiots....

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
I would prefer to see Gross stay instead of Stephens. Stephens has become less and less effective going forwards. Too many backwards and sideways passes. two years ago he looked a goal threat, but in the premiership he looks frightened of playing anything positively. Bissouma will definitely not lack in that regard.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Lets not start trying to show horn players in to a starting 11, how many England managers have done that and failed!

We've bought these players to compete. If Bissouma has to start, and according to many he does, then one of Stephens or Proper has to give way.

Same with the wingers, when all fit probably Knocky and March are going to have to give way, as will Gross if Locadia proves to be more dynamic at No10.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Dropping Groß would be ridiculously stupid, he wasn't the problem against Watford. Bring in Locadia and AJ for March and Murray and I'm sure we'll be far more competitive.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here